Worse loss under Marvin?

cincyhokie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They go against all football logic and pass the ball on 3rd and 13. INT.

Passing on 3rd and 13 is "against all football logic"? Really? I think you're reaching.

As for the question of worst loss, I'll go with the playoff loss to the Jets last year.

Ok...correction. Passing on 3rd and 13 when there are 2:20 left in the game and the other team only has one time out left when you should run and then punt to hopefully pin the opponent deep in their own territory is against all football logic. And, yes...really.

And I'll go playoff loss to the Steelers in 2006. Last year's game was bad...that one was just spirit crushing with 59:30 minutes of the game left.

Passing on 3rd and 13 is "against all football logic"? Really? I think you're reaching.

As for the question of worst loss, I'll go with the playoff loss to the Jets last year.

You're up a TD, there's 2:30 or so left in the game. The other team has no timeouts, your punter is crushing the ball, and other team can't move the ball against your defense. Oh, and your RB has 144 yards rushing.

What's the point of passing?

Ok...correction. Passing on 3rd and 13 when there are 2:20 left in the game and the other team only has one time out left when you should run and then punt to hopefully pin the opponent deep in their own territory is against all football logic. And, yes...really.

And I'll go playoff loss to the Steelers in 2006. Last year's game was bad...that one was just spirit crushing with 59:30 minutes of the game left.

Thanks for adding some of that for me. I figured most people would have seen that turning point of implosion. I didn't feel I needed to give the full play by play.

You're up a TD, there's 2:30 or so left in the game. The other team has no timeouts, your punter is crushing the ball, and other team can't move the ball against your defense. Oh, and your RB has 144 yards rushing.

You don't play to punt the ball. 3rd and 13 is a passing down. Moreover, everyone seems to ignore that the Bucs followed the pick up by ramming it 50 yards downfield for a TD. Any reason to believe they couldn't have done that from the 20?

You don't play to punt the ball. 3rd and 13 is a passing down. Moreover, everyone seems to ignore that the Bucs followed the pick up by ramming it 50 yards downfield for a TD. Any reason to believe they couldn't have done that from the 20?

Having the ball and moving it from the 20 is much different than moving it from the 50. This doesn't even mention the momentum shift caused by the turnover.

How much success did TB have moving the ball from deep in their own territory in the 4th quarter?

Sorry man, nobody agrees with that. Again, what is there to GAIN from passing the ball?

Sorry man, nobody agrees with that. Again, what is there to GAIN from passing the ball?

Um, first down, maintain possession, run out the clock, win the game?

Crazy concept, I know.

It's funny to listen to this tonight. Last season, I can remember endless complaints about the Bengals "turtling up" and trying to nurse a slim lead, and thereby giving the other team extra opportunities. Today, the complaint is that they didn't turtle up. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Crazy concept, I know.

It's funny to listen to this tonight. Last season, I can remember endless complaints about the Bengals "turtling up" and trying to nurse a slim lead, and thereby giving the other team extra opportunities. Today, the complaint is that they didn't turtle up. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

You do not risk that kind of a turnover with 2:20 left in the game and the other team with just one time out. I'm sorry the previous play calling resulted in them being in that 3rd and 13 situation, however, you do not put that ball in the air. Unless...you are scared of your defense. And frankly, while the defense did an overall horrible job, they were pretty good the previous two possessions leading up to this series. When they pressured Freeman in the fourth quarter, they looked solid.

Bottom line, it was a stupid call. Punt that ball and make them earn that extra 30 yards or so.

Crazy concept, I know.

You do not risk that kind of a turnover with 2:20 left in the game

You risk a turnover every play. No guarantee that if they run it, Benson or Scott doesn't fumble.

It turned out to be a bad play, yes. But it was not a play call that was "against all football logic." It was a perfectly understandable, even predictable call. It's a call that 32 out of 32 teams make in that position.

That one's on the guys on the field, not the coaches.

Crazy concept, I know.

Of course you do, I guess a better question would be is the risk worth the benefit in this situation?

Even if you throw the ball, on 3rd and 13 use a screen pass, dont throw it into traffic like he did. Carson tries to force the ball way to much, especially to Chad which i wish he would stop doing that.

I still wanna know where the running game was in the first half. They only ran the ball like 10 times, they had success using it, so why not keep doing whats working? I dont get this team.

Crazy concept, I know.

You do not risk that kind of a turnover with 2:20 left in the game

You risk a turnover every play. No guarantee that if they run it, Benson or Scott doesn't fumble.

It turned out to be a bad play, yes. But it was not a play call that was "against all football logic." It was a perfectly understandable, even predictable call. It's a call that 32 out of 32 teams make in that position.

That one's on the guys on the field, not the coaches.

It was so predictable that the other team knew the route. Check out the post game quotes in the Enquirer.

If your RB is running the ball well and your defense is dominant....and the other team has no time outs in a passing situation......you protect the ball.

Of course you run the risk of a turnover every play but running the ball is the much better way of protecting it. I'm not going to go into why if you don't already know.

I still wanna know where the running game was in the first half.

That's about all that needs said about this game, IMO. Palmer's errors, the penalties, and the dropped passes all could have been overcome or avoided had the Bengals just given the damned ball to Benson.

Bratkowski had his moronic calls today, but I'm with Hoosier on this one. It's just too easy to whine about the call when the result was an interception. Playing for the first down was just as logical as playing for the punt.

I'm not whining about anything. I was yelling from my seat in the end zone BEFORE the play NOT to do it.