Worse loss under Marvin?

cincyhokie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many terrible losses under Marvin, as a matter of fact they always find a way to lose on some garbage, here are some I recall (some of my dates and years may be off a little)

Denver last year- what a way to lose in week one

Pitt- the game that Roseyburger threw the TD in overtime to knock us from playoff contention

Today- you just can't give up 10 points in the final 2:20 when you have the ball and the other team is out of timeouts

Denver- the game in Denver a few years back when they missed that PAT after coming all the way back at the end of the game

i don't know if it's the worse loss, but man it stings bad. the game to me was just unreal, all the problems this team has showed up in one game. then were magnified by the stupid stupid play calls at the end of the game. heads should roll because of this! we all know mikey won't do a thing and they will operate as normal. a delusional twisted dysfunctional group of idiots.

So many terrible losses under Marvin, as a matter of fact they always find a way to lose on some garbage, here are some I recall (some of my dates and years may be off a little)

Denver last year- what a way to lose in week one

Pitt- the game that Roseyburger threw the TD in overtime to knock us from playoff contention

Today- you just can't give up 10 points in the final 2:20 when you have the ball and the other team is out of timeouts

Denver- the game in Denver a few years back when they missed that PAT after coming all the way back at the end of the game

The Raiders last year was identical to this, the previous loss to Tampa on the J. Smith roughing call, the loss to Cleveland last game of 2003 season, the San Diego Charger collapse were all torture. This is an obvious pattern.

Got to go with today without a doubt.

All the Bengals had to do was continue to run the ball with 2:30 to go in the 4th. They go against all football logic and pass the ball on 3rd and 13. INT.

There is no excuse to explain this one. Depressing.

Last week you had plenty of excuses.

This week you don't have any.

Because after the Tampa game the things I've been complaining about all season are now so obvious that everyone can finally see the truth. Everyone but Hoosier, of course.

If it had been up to me I would have named this thread..."Last loss under Marvin?"

Worst loss? Probably, if for no other reason than the way the Bengals had dodged a bullet against Tampa right before they threw themselves upon their own knife. And sadly, I'm not talking about a death caused by a single stab wound. Rather, it was a death of a thousand cuts, all of them self-inflicted.

Bottom Line: The Bengals are one of the rarest things you'll ever see in any sport, a team that knowingly refuses to play in a style that would result in more wins.

Got to go with today without a doubt.

All the Bengals had to do was continue to run the ball with 2:30 to go in the 4th. They go against all football logic and pass the ball on 3rd and 13. INT.

There is no excuse to explain this one. Depressing.

Last week you had plenty of excuses.

This week you don't have any.

Because after the Tampa game the things I've been complaining about all season are now so obvious that everyone can finally see the truth. Everyone but Hoosier, of course.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

Last week the passing game was a better match-up vs. Cleveland. This week it was obviously the running game. When the game in on the line, go with what is working, I've never said anything different.

A retarded monkey could have seen that running Benson on every single play in the last 3 minutes was the obvious decision. My problem with this offense is, and has been, with the coahing staff. They cannot plan and execute a gameplan consistently, or in this case, well at all.

Bottom Line: The Bengals are one of the rarest things you'll ever see in any sport, a team that knowingly refuses to play in a style that would result in more wins.

I doubt it. Last year, when they ran the ball to your heart's content, they still needed a miracle from Palmer in the last two minutes to get half their wins. SSDD yesterday, except they didn't get the miracle.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

The very same thing I've been talking about since the season began. Throwing on 3rd and 2. Passing the ball when you should be running. An inability to beat inferior teams using a mistake prone passing game. Making the other guy actually stop your run game instead of bailing on it simply because the other guy moved another defender into the box.

Last week the passing game was a better match-up vs. Cleveland.

So you keep saying.

BTW, the Cleveland team you keep describing as much improved lost again.

This week it was obviously the running game.

Obviously. So try explaining why the Bengals opened the game with an unbalanced 26 pass/9 run ratio? Explain all of the pass attempts on 3rd and short...because Brian Billick sees what I'm seeing and he doesn't understand it either. Explain Palmer's Pick 6 and the decision to pass from their own 3 yard line. How many teams even attempt an out pattern in that situation? And then explain the pick on 3rd and 16 when nearly every team in the NFL runs the ball in that situation.

A retarded monkey could have seen that running Benson on every single play in the last 3 minutes was the obvious decision.

And a blind monkey watching the Tampa game would have seen a Bengal team giving a game away for more than 3 quarters, then rediscovering it's nuts just in the nick of time to avoid disaster and save their season, only to casually toss it's nuts aside once again at the first important opportunity.

My problem with this offense is, and has been, with the coahing staff. They cannot plan and execute a gameplan consistently, or in this case, well at all.

Actually, that's what I've been saying since the New England game. You're one of the guys who has been defending those gameplans while offering excuses about the need to stop commiting penalties and turnovers...thereby ignoring the very reasons you shouldn't build gameplans around the passing game in it's current state.

So anyways, they're done now with 11 games to play. All that's left to determine now is what comes next. What would a BSOPB do under these circumstances? And you've already answered that question, haven't you?

When the passing game doesn't work you must commit to the passing game even more than before, right?

Repeat the following until dead.

"We are the Bastard sons of Paul Brown, and we will throw the ball around the yard at all costs."

I doubt it. Last year, when they ran the ball to your heart's content, they still needed a miracle from Palmer in the last two minutes to get half their wins. SSDD yesterday, except they didn't get the miracle.

Your SSDD rant is one of the dumber things I've ever read online, and that's saying something.

Or haven't you heard?

Smashball is dead.

And so are the Bengals.

The very same thing I've been talking about since the season began. Throwing on 3rd and 2. Passing the ball when you should be running. An inability to beat inferior teams using a mistake prone passing game. Making the other guy actually stop your run game instead of bailing on it simply because the other guy moved another defender into the box.

Never disagreed with this. If the Bengals gameplan to their strengths and the other teams weaknesses and stick to it, they'd be better off. The problem is that once the Bengals were down by muliple scores against Cleveland and NE, for example, they moved the ball passing it. Should they have kept pounding the ball against those teams who were stoppping it? Maybe, but their gameplan made BEFORE the game wasn't good enough to keep running it.

That's on the coaching staff.

So you keep saying.

BTW, the Cleveland team you keep describing as much improved lost again.

Cleveland's defense is improved. They gave up 13 points to Atlanta.

Actually, that's what I've been saying since the New England game. You're one of the guys who has been defending those gameplans while offering excuses about the need to stop commiting penalties and turnovers...thereby ignoring the very reasons you shouldn't build gameplans around the passing game in it's current state.

No, the gameplanning has been a problem all season. However, making some of the in-game adjustments despite the poor gameplanning were necessary. If the Bengals had a better gameplan to run the ball, against Cleveland for example, they wouldn't have had to pass the ball. Cleveland out gameplanned them and sent alot of run blitzes that stuffed the run game. Whitworth said the Browns suprised them with alot of their run defense schemes. Brat was schooled again. So when the other team has already called your hand, they at least took advantage of the passing mismatches.

When the passing game doesn't work you must commit to the passing game even more than before, right?

No, I was talking in general when I made that comment. I wasn't necessarily talking about the Bengals or to your comments, for that matter. I was talking in general that alot of times when a teams gameplan is not working they can get down on the scoreboard and when they are losing by multiple scores they will continue to pass out of necessity. Of course there are exceptions.

Again, I don't care how they win, I just want them to use the strengths they have matched smartly against each individual team they face. If they can run the ball on a team, like TB, then they should...all day long. If they are matched against a team that is going to plan to shut down their run game, they should make a gameplan to find ways to move the ball...some of those ways are going to have to be by using the passing threats they have to keep the other team off balance.

As a disclaimer, I don't believe in absolutes. Especially not with this team. Against most teams, they will not simply be able to impose their will, neither with the run game or the passing game.

If you're looking to pick a fight with someone who defends their haphazard ways of throwing the ball despite having a 144 yard rusher, find someone else. You'll get no argument here. If you're looking for each game to throw something back in my face based on comments made about a specific team or instance during the last 5 games, give it a rest.

For example, you made a comment that the Bengals threw for 371 yards but still lost against Cleveland. Someone could come right back and say they ran for 144 yards but lost against TB. The truth is, as far as I am concerned, is that the reason they lost both of those games is because of mistakes, turnovers, and bad playcalling. Coaching. Sucks.

The truth is, as far as I am concerned, is that the reason they lost both of those games is because of mistakes, turnovers, and bad playcalling. Coaching. Sucks.

Right on. We turned the ball over 4 times, had a punt partially blocked and commited 9 penalties, many of which led to mistakes on the next play. It doesn't matter if they're throwing or running the ball if they continue those mistakes.

To blame it all on the playcalling of the offense is to give the D a pass and that's not right either. The D has been a disappointment. However a small part of the problem has been play selection. They sure should have run it with two minutes left and punted if need be.

Never disagreed with this. If the Bengals gameplan to their strengths and the other teams weaknesses and stick to it, they'd be better off.

Exactly what I've been saying for months now. But in response I've gotten a steady dose of excuses about how I'm grasping at straws, the sample size is too small, how even more passing was the only possible answer, or even how none of this stuff was even happening or important. But it was happening. In fact, because it was so blatantly happening against the Bucs that everyone sees it now. And it was important. Important enough that the lesson that wasn't learned cost this team it's season after playing only five games.

Should they have kept pounding the ball against those teams who were stoppping it? Maybe, but their gameplan made BEFORE the game wasn't good enough to keep running it.

What about the teams that weren't stopping it? Face it, Brian Billick talked all game, from start to finish, about the Bengals failure to continue running the ball even when the run game was working, and he mocked the Bengals habit of bailing on the running game the first time it gets stuffed. Furthermore, he spoke at length about how a team has to attempt running into a stacked box, rather than bailing out simply because the numbers say you're at a disadvantage. To do otherwise is capitulation, according to Billick. Which sounded pretty familiar to me knowing that earlier in the week I had compared the very same things to surrender. Same thing...different word.

If you're looking to pick a fight with someone who defends their haphazard ways of throwing the ball despite having a 144 yard rusher, find someone else. You'll get no argument here.

Sadly, at this point I don't expect to get an argument from anyone.

For example, you made a comment that the Bengals threw for 371 yards but still lost against Cleveland. Someone could come right back and say they ran for 144 yards but lost against TB.

After the Tampa loss I'm guessing the only person who could claim what you're suggesting is someone who didn't see the game with their own eyes, and instead tried to decipher what had happened using crap stats.