The verdict is in - The offensive line

walzav29

I was watching Henne last night when he had time to throw he looked good, and then the heat got to him and he started throwing picks. Many of us have watched and we see the same thing. When Palmer has time he does great. There hasn't been any room to run either. The key is Andre Smith. They are getting him up to speed, and he is just physically superior to Roland. If they get the line going and Smith is an excellent run blocker (according to scouting reports) the running game will get cranking and then they can throw at will. That's it. They need an identity. I just gave them one. Run and then when they are reeling start throwing the bomb. I'll say another thing. I would like to see the Bengals trade Chad Ochocinco for Chad Johnson. His gimmick has worked to get crappy shows, but he is playing like crap. He needs to get back in the game. We HAVE to get a complete game Sunday going into the bye week.

The verdict's been in for a while.

The question is, what's the sentence? Hank Stram says execution.

I was wondering about Palmer for a minute. 6,000 articles calling him a bum might have gotten into my sub-conscience. Paul Alexander is a well respected coach. He can fix it. I think Andre is someone who responds to positive reinforcement. Once he starts doing something good they can build on it.

Paul Alexander is a well respected coach.

Is that true? I don't think too much of him, based on the line play the last few years. In his defense, they haven't given him much to work with. Is he really a well respected coach? I can't think of any commentary on his abilities, pro or con, other than the occassional Shula rant against him on this board.

I hope Andre can lift the O-line because that is the #1 problem.

Last night Lapham was comparing the Browns O-line to ours. They had a #1 pick at C and at LT and Steinbach was a #1 who fell to the 2nd rd. The Bengals had Whit and a bunch of undrafted FAs. This difference in the O-line negated the Bengals huge advantage in skill players.

They really need Andre to play like a #1 pick

Paul Alexander is a well respected coach.

Is that true? I don't think too much of him, based on the line play the last few years. In his defense, they haven't given him much to work with. Is he really a well respected coach? I can't think of any commentary on his abilities, pro or con, other than the occassional Shula rant against him on this board.

The fact he's been here over 10 years and has never gotten a serious job offer, promotional opportunity from another team, or even an ounce of interest from any other club should tell you all you need to know. He's also the assistant head coach and has a significant say in the offensive schemes, his unit suffers from breakdowns and penalty problems constantly, but he never gets any heat.

But then we can look at the # of busts, failed experiments and poor line play when he doesn't have 2-3 1st round picks making him look good. He also benefits from the Bengals' tendency to draft high risk/reward skill guys in the 1st two rounds almost every year.

Oh I forgot he got passed over for some Div II head coaching job at one point. He IS limited by the front office's lack of spending and emphasis on the 0-line in general though, in particular the interior 0-line.

Let me know when one of his 2nd day picks actually pans out or develops into a respectable lineman. 10 yrs. + - not a single one of them on this roster is worth a damn.

I hope Andre can lift the O-line because that is the #1 problem.

Last night Lapham was comparing the Browns O-line to ours. They had a #1 pick at C and at LT and Steinbach was a #1 who fell to the 2nd rd. The Bengals had Whit and a bunch of undrafted FAs. This difference in the O-line negated the Bengals huge advantage in skill players.

They really need Andre to play like a #1 pick

Yep, and it's a big reason why the Jets' dominated them upfront and beat them twice in a row last year as well. Yet the Bengals' sat on their hands and did nothing about the o-line in the draft or in the off-season. They simply do not get it, still.

The verdict is in:

The o-line is substandard. More important, the coaches are substandard for not recognizing the weakness of the o-line, yet shifting the offensive gameplan that allows that weakness to be exploited. See one Mr. Roland and the bull rush, see the inability to pass protect, and see the fact that we aren't running the jumbo package 90% of our plays like we did last year.

The play of the average OL fluctuates as the personnel changes. But, I have never seen an OL regress so badly WITH THE EXACT SAME PERSONNEL. I actually gave Alexander some props last year with guys like Roland, Mathis and Livings. So, why do they all of a sudden suck this year? I guess Defensive Coaches have figured out that Roland does not like to be bull-rushed. Does a Bengals Coach ever figure ANYTHING out?????

The o-line is so bad they are back to playing musical o-linemen again, but this time its a RT. Last year they played the Guard postion, and i see that turned out real well. Im so glad we have great coaching here that we have to rotate players in to see who is better, what a joke! Coaching on this team horrible and getting worse

This is such a bad problem to have.

Missing with the Skin Zepplin pick will reverb for years. He is a bust at RT. Moving him inside to RG is about the only thing that can save the guy, IMHO.

I think bringing Mathis in for Livings would also be a smart move.

Implementing more jumbo line packages, different looks, would also be a smart move. More of a band-aid for things.

Going to get a proper RT will cost serious coin, which could be found in cutting Geathers, Odom and Dhani. Doing so is a vote of confidence for keeping Carson. Not doing so tells me they simply won't do what it takes to win at this point.

I am still disgusted with the lack of run game and inability to get to opposing QB's.

Run the ball well and pass protecting will suddenly get easier...

Moving him inside to RG is about the only thing that can save the guy, IMHO.

Possibly after the season, Mike tells Andre they are moving him to guard. Mike insists on Andre taking a cut in pay because he has busted out as a tacle, now he deserves guard money. The contract clause that says we can cut him will be the leverage. Alvin Keels will fly to various NFL cities, rent a limo to take him to the various front offices and shop the Skindenberg. He'll use Mike's offer as a baseline.

I can't even guess if anyone will better the Bengals offer, but I think the above is how this little tragicomedy will play out.

IMHO a poorly conditioned and far-from-ready Andre Smith was still better as a pass blocker than Dennis Roland has been.

I agree and his run blocking has always been a strength of big 'Dre

The Skin Zep actually had a good game Sunday. Bengals1181 over at go-bengals broke down his 20 snaps and he had one (possibly two, but that could be blamed on Palmer stepping up into the guy he was blocking) bad snaps. I suspect he'll keep getting increased time, especially as Roland keeps sucking.

Edit: here's the thread:

/>http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=56743

Ask yourself what changed from last year to this in regard to the o-line ??

Answer ??

The fact we have TE's that are running routes and not simply another 6'3, 330lb guy filling his spot on the line helping the run.

They lose the extra guy on the line, the holes aren't there for Benson and they are forced to pass block.

Sucks all the way around when looking at the level of talent those guys have.