All things T.O.

agreen_112

This is what we've heard to this point:

Chad, Bryant, Caldwell, and Shipley are locks. I don't disagree with that...

They are only going to carry 6 WR's, so that leaves 2 spots with one of those two being inactive. The 5th WR spot is a ST guy which TO is not (see Cosby for that spot). You know TO won't be the inactive 6th WR and he doesn't play ST, so which of the locks would you be willing to part with if the Bengals sign him ??

You know it's not Chad or Shipley. No way, no how.

Caldwell is fast, young, versatile, and from Marvin to any other coach, they are saying he's the most improved player heading into camp.

Bryant signed a 7 million a year deal, but has had knee issues.

So once again, if Bryant's knee is worse than advertised, than TO makes more sense. If not and he's going to be ready to go, getting rid of Caldwell will straight piss me the f*ck off for a one year deal for TO.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. Shipley is a slot WR. Chad, T.O. and Bryant all play best on the outside.

I don't disagree. I simply wonder who Bratkowski will really trust on 3rd and 8 between the third of the triad and a rookie, regardless of where they normally play.

Caldwell is fast, young, versatile, and from Marvin to any other coach, they are saying he's the most improved player heading into camp.

So once again, if Bryant's knee is worse than advertised, than TO makes more sense. If not and he's going to be ready to go, getting rid of Caldwell will straight piss me the f*ck off for a one year deal for TO.

I'm on board with that thought, but I'm not convinced Caldwell would be the necessary sacrifice to bring in Owens. Cosby performed very well last year as a punt returner, and while that does mean something I don't think the Bengals value it as much as what Caldwell offers. Also consider the other options still on the roster that could return punts like Adam Jones or Shipley. They probably wouldn't be quite as productive as Cosby, but in the end I'm not sure the loss of Cosby would be terribly impactful.

I think about them getting rid of Cosby as well, but as a fan, I would simply want them to be d*mn sure of it, as opposed to just hoping they would get the same type of return when considering getting rid of a probowl level of return guy. If they view the WR spot in "that dire" of a situation then I could certainly see them taking that chance.

i dont kno why people are in love with cosby to the point where they think his position cannot be upgraded. maybe shiplry or jones returning punts in preseason will soon make ppl forget about cosby. he works hard and plays hard but he doesnt have the speed of a great returner. he is solid at best and will never get over that hump IMO. he has good vision and can follow blocks and that can be replaced. Dont get me wrong i loved cosby but last years accomplishments isnt going to get you on this years squad. Let the best man win the gig, and i hope it is jones or shipley so there is a free roster spot available. there are going to be some tough cuts this year.

i dont kno why people are in love with cosby to the point where they think his position cannot be upgraded. maybe shiplry or jones returning punts in preseason will soon make ppl forget about cosby. he works hard and plays hard but he doesnt have the speed of a great returner. he is solid at best and will never get over that hump IMO. he has good vision and can follow blocks and that can be replaced. Dont get me wrong i loved cosby but last years accomplishments isnt going to get you on this years squad. Let the best man win the gig, and i hope it is jones or shipley so there is a free roster spot available. there are going to be some tough cuts this year.

Without being a dick, if it's so easy to replace a return guy, can you tell me the last time we had a return guy that put up pro bowl type numbers ??

Again, if the coaches think it is that easy to replicate that type of performance with someone else, I will support the move.

I'm simply of the mindset that I can remember to many seasons of a Ratliff type of return performance and Marvin has said MANY times how huge it is having someone like that capable of changing field position.

Without being a dick, if it's so easy to replace a return guy, can you tell me the last time we had a return guy that put up pro bowl type numbers ??

Again, if the coaches think it is that easy to replicate that type of performance with someone else, I will support the move.

I'm simply of the mindset that I can remember to many seasons of a Ratliff type of return performance and Marvin has said MANY times how huge it is having someone like that capable of changing field position.

its been so long because they have never really tried to upgrade the position and are usually happy with a solid performance< ie railiff who basically just caught the ball. im not saying its easy to replace but im not going to overhype cosby either. he is a solid returner, which is better than jus fair catching the ball. we have been deprived so long of a great punt returner we think cosby is more than wat he is. I can also think of more than one occasion where cosby made bad decisions (i have been watching a game from last season each day) one was fielding a punt from inside tthe 10.

its been so long because they have never really tried to upgrade the position and are usually happy with a solid performance< ie railiff who basically just caught the ball. im not saying its easy to replace but im not going to overhype cosby either. he is a solid returner, which is better than jus fair catching the ball. we have been deprived so long of a great punt returner we think cosby is more than wat he is. I can also think of more than one occasion where cosby made bad decisions (i have been watching a game from last season each day) one was fielding a punt from inside tthe 10.

Cosby is simply solid ?? He had more punt returns with the most return yards (should coincide) than anyone in the league. His return average was 8th best in the league. Is it overhype or underrating ?? Once again, if it is overhype and the coaches feel we have his replacement on the roster, then I'm more than good with seeing him being shown the door. However, if the new return guy doesn't do as well or at least result in another WR (see TO) bringing a ton to the WR corps as an overall WR, then it won't exactly be worth it.

They have a lot of time to figure that part of it out, but the talk is about having TO signed before camp.

How much time in practice will they have to determine if they have something better at the return spot ??

You also have this part of a long article on the official site:

The best, most intense, and most public roster battle is at wide receiver, where Lewis says all 10 guys have a shot to make what will probably be six spots. Besides The Ocho, newcomers Antonio Bryant and Matt Jones are trying to overcome falls from grace while the 2008 draft duo of Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson are trying to overcome labels. Caldwell as a fumbler, Simpson as a bust.

“It’s a real advantage of having five preseason games for those guys,” Lewis says. “We’re really going to get an opportunity to see who’s going to execute and catch the football and block and execute the offense. They all have an opportunity to make the team. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen that opportunity always being there like that.”

Bryant caused some concern in the last few weeks of last month’s on-field sessions when he missed some time with the knee problems that limited him in ’09 for the Buccaneers. But Lewis is confident enough to say the Bengals aren’t looking to add at receiver, and that includes Terrell Owens.

“I’m not concerned about (Bryant's) knee,” Lewis says. “We’ve had lots of guys that have had different things. You have to treat them specific to them, make sure they get the work in and get the rest and rehab they need.”

Lewis calls Caldwell the team’s most improved player and has been heartened by Simpson, a second-rounder that has been long on enthusiasm and work ethic but short on development.

“I’m encouraged by him,” Lewis says. “I think he continues to work very hard at it. We’ve kind of moved into different areas of (uncertainty), which is a good thing. His confidence level leaving here in June was a lot higher than it has been. I think now he’s at the point, shoot, he’s going to have an opportunity to go prove he can play in the preseason.”

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Great-Expectations/4fa1bc0b-b4d2-44c2-89ea-f2a0c27912cd

Cosby is simply solid ?? He had more punt returns with the most return yards (should coincide) than anyone in the league. His return average was 8th best in the league. Is it overhype or underrating ?? Once again, if it is overhype and the coaches feel we have his replacement on the roster, then I'm more than good with seeing him being shown the door. However, if the new return guy doesn't do as well or at least result in another WR (see TO) bringing a ton to the WR corps as an overall WR, then it won't exactly be worth it.

They have a lot of time to figure that part of it out, but the talk is about having TO signed before camp.

How much time in practice will they have to determine if they have something better at the return spot ??

if the question is do the bengals cut cosby to make room for T.O. before camp begins, then hell no, but i guess the point i was getting at with cosby is he's never going to "take one to the house" (he did in preseason but i dont think he can in regular season), he just doesnt have the speed. however the more i think about the signing of T.O. the more i think the coaches are losing faith in bryants knee holding up. maybe we should worry about bryant getting cut before the regular season?

To say Cosby can't take one to the house in the NFL is off in my opinion. Hell, if a 300+ lineman can pick up a fumble and rumble down the field to put 7 on the board, d*mn near ANYONE on the field could do it. If Bryant is truly that hurt that the signing of TO needs to happen, I could see Bryant hitting the PUP before the team simply cuts him.

Anyway around, I will support most anything the organization does in this situation.

When we know the whole story, it will make more sense. I hope...

IMO Signing T.O would make Cosbys spot safer...That would be another Wide Receiver who wouldn't play Special teams (T.O,Chad & Bryant)

Have to wonder why they'd be interested in T.O Did Carson just practice with him and liked what he saw or is there no Faith in Matt Jones & Simpson?

If we sign T.O this would be my 6 WR's Chad,T.O,Bryant,Shipley,Caldwell & Cosby...

IMO Signing T.O would make Cosbys spot safer...That would be another Wide Receiver who wouldn't play Special teams (T.O,Chad & Bryant)

Have to wonder why they'd be interested in T.O Did Carson just practice with him and liked what he saw or is there no Faith in Matt Jones & Simpson?

If we sign T.O this would be my 6 WR's Chad,T.O,Bryant,Shipley,Caldwell & Cosby...

Signing T.O. would really confuse me regarding who would be active on Sundays.

The Bengals usually only have 5 WRs active. Who doesn't dress? Shipley? He's probably their best true slot receiver, and can play STs. Caldwell? Marvin says he's the most improved player.

If the decision is between T.O. and Cosby, I'll pass on T.O. But if it's because Bryant isn't healthy, I'm okay with it. If somehow it's because they plan on having 6 WRs active, with both Sipley and Cosby participating on STs... yeah, ok I guess. But there is still only one ball... no matter how many talented pass catchers you have on the team.

Mortensen on ESPN is reporting that Bryant's knee is worse than the Bengals are letting on.

Man hope his knee isn't that bad Mikey will probably never spend money in FA again if Bryant signing bites him in the ass.

As for how gameday roster would go thats where it's tough,Would it be Shipley someone who has been nothing but praised since he was drafted...Caldwell the most improved player or Cosby who plays on all special team units....If I had to take a guess would be Caldwell because if they Signed T.O would seem their not quite ready for him to start and Shipley is more pure slot guy where cosby is just to valuable on special teams.

Mort says that Carson is DEFINTELY saying he would like TO signed, but the Bengals would like to wait and see what they have in their young WR's.

With 5 preseason games, it will give them plenty of time to see what they have.

Probably the best bet,any word on Byrant is he just not at 100% or?

Mort says that Carson is DEFINTELY saying he would like TO signed, but the Bengals would like to wait and see what they have in their young WR's.

With 5 preseason games, it will give them plenty of time to see what they have.

Problem with that strategy: what's going to be available if the answer to that question is "not much"?

I can't stand TO, but he's got to be far and away better than what they can get after the last round of cuts. Not to mention which all of this is predicated on how screwed Bryant's knee is. As many have mentioned, I don't think we're talking about this if Bryant's 100%. After all, they could have had TO 5 months ago if they'd wanted him over Bryant.

I'd be worried if we go into the season with Chad and Caldwell as the top two receivers. And if Bryant is hosed and they pass on TO, that's where we'll be.