Offseason Moves/Priorities/Draft a WR

mgi

Am I the only person here that thinks the Bengals offensive line needs a significant upgrade?

Well, B. Williams' contract is up and he's 33 IIRC. Throw in the fact that they lopped Koo and that both Livings and Mathis fall into the "serviceable" category, and that all points to a need at guard. I suppose that make Iupati a legit possibility in the first, but IMO he'd be a reach at 21.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think should happen 1) Fire Marvin Hire Zimmer as HC. 2)Shayne has to go. 3)Draft WRs and Lineman!!!! Hopefully we can find a veteran WR and Olineman in FA(I doubt we will!!!) 4)Brat has to go. This team is where its at because of poor draft decisions. Could have had Oher took Andre, Could have had Jackson instead picked Simpson.

Am I the only person here that thinks the Bengals offensive line needs a significant upgrade?

Well, B. Williams' contract is up and he's 33 IIRC. Throw in the fact that they lopped Koo and that both Livings and Mathis fall into the "serviceable" category, and that all points to a need at guard. I suppose that make Iupati a legit possibility in the first, but IMO he'd be a reach at 21.

Livings and Mathis are solid, more than serviceable.

I am more than pleased with how well this line is developing, esp with Cook anchoring the line.

The line assisted Cedric to 170 yards vs the best defense in a do-or-die game.

Sack at end of game were house blitzes, so what can you do?

Focusing on WR and Pass rush is priority.

monitoring Odom is important, proceed as if you wont have him back. Also worrisome is Rey and his knee and Jeanty and his leg. Trimming Geathers down, as he was before, and moving him inside, and Michael Johnson to joker, this makes the 3-4 possible.

Tank/Peko/Odom with Frostee and Fanene rotating also looks solid. Sims will also be back.

Also, as mentioned often on the board, Dhani is just too slow and is an easy mismatch vs RB's and most TE's. Going 3-4, and getting faster at LB could also work out well.

As I have emphasized, targeting Marshall or Boldin should be the most important thing to do. Watching Romo and McNabb absolutely FIRE the ball all around, as compared to Carson's velocity and accuracy, tells me they better figure out WTF the deal is.

This team needs a pass rusher bad, watching Sanchez have all day to throw the ball was a joke. I dont even know if Zimmer blitzed as much, but the front 4 got no pressure what so ever. They let a rookie QB only miss a couple of passes, that is just so bad. Where was the pressure.

Need to get WR help bad

Need saftey help

Need to figure out what is wrong with Palmer, for this offense to get better please figure this out

O-Line needs some help also, im tired of the o-line shuffle

OK, hear me out....

Now, let's assume Carson can get his arm "fixed" and mechanics cleaned up. Ok.

And let's also assume we can improve the WR corp, maybe with a FA, like Marshall or similar, and through the draft. Ok.

Now, given the strength of the run game, serious weapons in Benson and Scott, not much needs to get overhauled. Ok

Next, Brat gets axed...lack of creativity and execution. Stale planning and scheming, poor accountability and progress. the pass game needs a refresher.

Finally, let's consider SoP's "redeemer" role and self-image. Ok.

If all of these come true, then our next OC is Mike Leach.

Mike Leach.

I've no objection to firing Brat, but to be fair, I doubt any offensive coordinator would have found much success given the attrition at the offensive skill positions this year.

Housh flees to Seattle, depriving the team of its best possession guy. They sign Coles as a replacement, but it turns out he has nothing left. The TE position collapses and burns to the ground in training camp. The usual first round holdout deprives the line of its stud top draft pick tackle for half the year. Halfway through the season, Chris Henry is lost to a broken arm, and is killed a few weeks later. Despite all this, they make the playoffs -- and in the first half both Coles and Caldwell get hurt. They end their short postseason run with Quan Cosby in at wideout, for heaven's sake.

Bottom line: the Bengals could use a new offensive signal-caller, but they need a few offensive playmakers even more.

I highly doubt that we fire Brat. Just as Brat seems unwilling to acknowledge Carson's poor play, I don't think Marvin is willing to acknowledge Brat's ineptitude.

How about a GM? <_<

I've no objection to firing Brat, but to be fair, I doubt any offensive coordinator would have found much success given the attrition at the offensive skill positions this year.

Housh flees to Seattle, depriving the team of its best possession guy. They sign Coles as a replacement, but it turns out he has nothing left. The TE position collapses and burns to the ground in training camp. The usual first round holdout deprives the line of its stud top draft pick tackle for half the year. Halfway through the season, Chris Henry is lost to a broken arm, and is killed a few weeks later. Despite all this, they make the playoffs -- and in the first half both Coles and Caldwell get hurt. They end their short postseason run with Quan Cosby in at wideout, for heaven's sake.

Bottom line: the Bengals could use a new offensive signal-caller, but they need a few offensive playmakers even more.

100% agree. They quite often made chicken salad out of chicken droppings.

That they got this far with what they have is a testament to the O-line, Benson and the Defense.

HOWEVER, Brat is simply TOO rigid and limited in his scheme & adjustments, and lack the ability to get plays built for his players to make.

Give me Zampese or Leach and Brandon Marhsall or Boldin paired with Chad/Caldwell/Quan, and I will give you 10-12 wins.

I'm in camp as well. I'm not sold on either Mathis or Livings as anything more than backups. Iupati is an absolute beast that will be the first Guard taken in the draft. I've watched him play on many occasions this year and he has the makings of what you saw out of Mangold and Faneca for the Jets. Does tha mean he should be the be all and end all to target in the first ?? No, of course not, but he should certainly be near the top of considerations at this point.

1) Sign Zimmer

1a) Fire brat

1c) banish shane graham

2) get simpson involved or release him.

3) draft linebackers, receivers (really, really tall ones so carson doesn't look pathetic) and beef for both sides of the ball

get a GM to run the circus

Draft Linebackers? Why? Brandon Johnson & Jeanty are only RFA's next year and Brandon should get a multi year contract.

Unless its the 5th round or later we shouldn't touch linebacker in the draft.

I'd rank our positional needs as follows:

1. Wide receiver

2. Guard

3. Tight end

4. Safety

5. Defensive tackle

I doubt any of those is surprising, except maybe DT. I love Peko and Tank is solid, but I'm not a big fan of those who rotate in. Sims was good as a rookie but almost garbage this year. Shaun Smith and Orien Harris are filler.

Beyond that, I think late round pickups or cheap FA acquisitions at DE, OT, CB, and MLB would be understandable.

I think we're just about square at RB, QB, OLB, and maybe even DE. That's all with the personnel currently on the team, which will obviously change.

I'd rank our positional needs as follows:

1. Wide receiver

2. Guard

3. Tight end

4. Safety

5. Defensive tackle

I doubt any of those is surprising, except maybe DT. I love Peko and Tank is solid, but I'm not a big fan of those who rotate in. Sims was good as a rookie but almost garbage this year. Shaun Smith and Orien Harris are filler.

Beyond that, I think late round pickups or cheap FA acquisitions at DE, OT, CB, and MLB would be understandable.

I think we're just about square at RB, QB, OLB, and maybe even DE. That's all with the personnel currently on the team, which will obviously change.

If the TE position can't be filled through FA, then sure, but even then I think Safety is a bigger need. It's small potatoes in the grand scheme and just my opinion, but the impact of a safety would better serve this team overall. I wholeheartedly agree with the WR and Guard spots as #1 and #2.

I really think they're going to bring Williams back. Just a feeling I got. Especially since he's considered a leader on the line.

Brandon Lafell is probably the only first round receiver that will be around close to when we draft. He reminds me a lot of Dewayne Bowe who is another big LSU receiver that was very good right away in the NFL.

We won't be able to fix the tight end position through free agency. The uncapped year is going to completely screw that up because like four or five starting caliber tight ends that would have been unrestricted free agents are now going to be restricted. The only starting tight end that will be available is Ben Watson and you watch and see if he isn't given an extremely obscene amount of money for his level of talent.

Bottom line, don't count on anything in free agency this year.

I posted this in another thread, but it fits better here

-------------

What I'd like to see done in the offseason

1) Draft high: WR, DE, OG, S

Keep the lines strong, but we need to find a NEW playmaker at WR. One of those spots could be filled with a quality FA.

The 1st rounder should be the top IMPACT player at any of these four positions.

Gimme an oustanding S over a very good WR even if - for example only - the need at WR is deemed to be greater overall

2) Find some help with injury prevention

Trainers? Nutritionists? Nuclear Scientists? Don't know, don't care. Find'em, hire'em, and get them with the players.

Injuries will still happpen, but let's find a way to reduce the total number ongoing

3) Find a new OC. One with some imagination and the ability to call in a play without delay.

4) Work on flinches. Practice holding stance over and over and over. Eliminate the false starts. Especially by RBs and WRs

5) Find a new placekicker. Shayne - sorry, but it is time to move on. You had a great career here, when viewed as a whole.

6) Get a contract extension for the corners

7) Someone - dunno who - keep working with Chase. Every damn day.

Make sure he is ready to contribute heavily - 3 down TE, preferably - in 2011.

Marvin is scheduled to hold a press conference at 1 pm this afternoon. I am sure that he will be asked questions regarding his staff and will deny anything until it happens. So if you are expecting a decision on Brat or Zimmer it probably won't happen here. Les Frazier was relieved of his duties a couple of days after the season ending press conference where it was stated that no changes were planned. Stay tuned....

-------------

Trainers? Nutritionists? Nuclear Scientists? Don't know, don't care. Find'em, hire'em, and get them with the players.

Injuries will still happpen, but let's find a way to reduce the total number ongoing

I am beginning to wonder if there isn't an issue with the field turf at PBS. Palmer messed up his knee in the playoff game. Maualuga and Jeanty break their legs within a couple of weeks of each other. Odom ruptures his achilles there too. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it makes me wonder.

-------------

I am beginning to wonder if there isn't an issue with the field turf at PBS. Palmer messed up his knee in the playoff game. Maualuga and Jeanty break their legs within a couple of weeks of each other. Odom ruptures his achilles there too. Maybe it's just a coincidence but it makes me wonder.

Do you really think Palmer's injury had something to do with the turf? I didn't witness Maualuga's injury, Jeanty's leg got nailed by another player, and Odom's rupture came from the blocking scheme where players intentionally go for defenders knees.

It could have just been the circumstances but it always appeared that Palmer's foot "stuck" to the turf and was unable to slide.

As for the other ones, I can honestly say that I haven't seen replays on any of the injuries. Maybe it's just coincidence, I don't know. But I do know that there seems to be as many knee and ankle injuries as there were when Astro Turf was the rage. I just thought that Field Turf was supposed to be better alternative.

-------------

Has nothing to do with turf. Odom, Rey, and Palmer were hit low by cheap bums. Jeanty had one of his own players blocked into his legs low. It's the nature of the game. Had nothing to do with the turf.

I really think they're going to bring Williams back. Just a feeling I got. Especially since he's considered a leader on the line.

I hope they do bring Williams back, but with my lack of confidence in Livings/Mathis, I can't see where the thought of getting another Guard in the first two rounds would be a bad thing. Iupati is my current "Pimped Player". The other question is, what is the line of thought with Luigs ?? Is he strictly a center or is he getting snaps at Guard ??

I have a hunch this thread will NOT get Hair's stamp of approval.

Oh, not true. Not true at all.

Truth be told, I'm in a reflective mood today and a thread like THIS one might come in handy.

Sadly, I've just read THIS thread from start to finish and I can't figure out what THIS thread is even about.

Wideouts, offensive line, Dhani needs to go, fire Brat, and of course.....a dozen pinheads lining up to say how outraged they were when the Bengals didn't draft Jackson. Frankly, THIS thread seems to be about everything....and yeah, that does get my stamp of approval.

And just for the record, I didn't give a s**t about passing on Jackson. In fact, I didn't want ANY wideout at all early in the draft. Rather, I wanted defense, more defense, and a blocker or two.

Still do.