Bully up to the bar, boys!

HairOnFire

From FootballOutsiders....

11 Nov 2009

Cover-3: From Out of Nowhere

by Doug Farrar

Cincinnati's Offensive Line

Baltimore Ravens 7 at Cincinnati Bengals 17

The Bengals will run some effective zone concepts; blasting a guard or two upfield to help with the second level. They’ll also send linemen pulling in space and go with straight man-on-man drive-blocking. However, the fact that they ranked at or near the bottom of the league in every blocking stat we tabulate implies that perhaps they should pick a method and stick with it.

That's what I wrote about the Cincinnati offensive line in a preseason analysis of all 32 NFL lines. That Bengals 2008 line was simply rancid, finishing last in the NFL in Adjusted Line Yards and Stuffed rank, 31st in 10+ Yards, and 30th in Power Success. As we said in the Football Outsiders Almanac, the Bengals' line may have been the single worst unit in the league last season. As we also said in this year's Almanac, teams spending at least 1200 points on the Draft Value Chart on the offensive line in the draft tend to see a significant improvement in Offensive DVOA. The Bengals selected Andre Smith with the sixth overall pick, but he hasn't played a down this season due to an extended contract holdout, weight issues, and a foot injury. When Smith is ready, the team will risk upsetting the continuity of what has become one of the NFL's surprise tales of 2009. Absent their marquee pick, Cincinnati's put together a line that is primed for the power running of Cedric Benson, and the explosive passing game led by Carson Palmer, and they did it with relative no-names and patch jobs. The Bengals have moved up to 17th in ALY, 11th in Power and Stuffed, and 20th in 10+ Yards.

I asked Rob Weintraub, FO's reigning Bengals fan, about the reasons for the upswing in performance:

"There are several factors, first and foremost being a massive upgrade in attitude and cohesiveness. Cincy made a major push toward accentuating the power running game -- part of an overall trend toward upping the physicality of the team, a much-needed quality in the AFC North. Kyle Cook at center is a massive upgrade over Eric Ghiacuic, who was shoved backwards on a consistent basis. Andrew Whitworth is a natural guard, but he stepped in last year when Levi Jones proved immobile, and was a work in progress. Now he is a solid left tackle.

"The Bengals frequently use six-man lines, with Dennis Roland coming in as a third tackle. Roland was so good in that role he has taken the starting right tackle job from Anthony Collins. His improvement on a technical level has been amazing. The injury in the preseason to tight end Ben Utecht was something of a blessing in disguise. Utecht was a blocking liability. Now J.P. Foschi and Daniel Coats are the tight ends. They add punch to the run game and wind up staying in to block in many passing sets -- fortunately, the Bengals have good receivers that can get open without tight ends influencing the safeties. And don't underestimate the impact of fullback Jeremi Johnson -- out all last year with an injury, which forced Coats to play fullback. Johnson is no longer a receiving threat, but he can hammer linebackers.

"And lest we forget a certain number-one pick who has yet to hit the field ..."

The Bengals mirrored Baltimore's predilection for unbalanced and reinforced lines from their first play from scrimmage. On a Cedric Benson run up the middle for a one-yard loss, Whitworth lined up outside Collins, and Roland outside Whitworth. The Ravens brought five to the line for the first time three plays later, as the Bengals had first-and-10 from their own 39. Out of an I-formation, Cincy's line executed a nice zone slide as Palmer handed off to Benson. As Whitworth rode the right end out of the play and Cook slid over to take Kelly Gregg, both guards -- Even Mathis and Bobbie Williams -- took to the second level to deal with Ray Lewis. Jeremi Johnson rambled out left to take linebacker Tavares Gooden out as Benson headed left, and Benson was able to jump out of the scrum to gain 12 yards before he was tackled by Domonique Foxworth and Dawan Landry in the secondary. The Bengals could execute power runs against the third-best defense in Adjusted Line Yards, and they weren't done proving it. Whitworth headed back to the right side on the next play, with Foschi motioning to the left as an H-back in an intriguing max-protect concept, but an awkward handoff from Palmer to Benson negated any potential positive gain.

As far as pass protection, It was the little things they did that impressed me on the first drive -- sliding left in run looks so that Palmer could roll out right, and leaving the tight end to take care of any leaking defenders, or using Benson to take care of the extra man on an overload. These sound like very basic concepts, but when you're recovering from having the worst line in football, they show up on tape as graphic improvements. Where the pass blocking really showed up in the stats was when the Ravens blitzed and went away from their more successful zone coverage. The defensive pass interference penalty on Fabian Washington with 4:31 left in the first quarter was a perfect example.

The Bengals went for it on fourth-and-2 from the Baltimore 39, lining up in shotgun, single-back. The Ravens brought five to the line and added Ray Lewis and Dannell Ellerbe on a dual A-gap blitz. This particular blitz is a featured component of the Baltimore defense -- Rex Ryan brought it to New York and has Bart Scott and David Harris doing it all the time -- but it was dampened on this play by some very strong pass-blocking. As Lewis and Ellerbe hit the line, Cook and Mathis moved right to win the leverage advantage, wiping both 'backers out of the play. At the same time, Whitworth was busy negating Trevor Pryce, and the slide worked again. Palmer moved slightly back and to his left, and had a completely clean pocket. The Bengals had three receivers to the right, forcing man-on-man matchups, and Washington had two choices as Chad Ochocinco blew right by him on a stutter-go -- either hand-check like crazy, or wave bye-bye. The penalty put the Bengals at the Baltimore 15, but it was the pass protection that forced the issue for the Ravens. Stripped of their ability to bring consistent pressure with fewer defenders, they had to compromise with their iffy man coverage abilities.

Cincinnati was also creative with extra blockers, using a lot of tight end or fullback motion to H-back to add power in running plays. The Ravens learned that blitzing this Bengals team was an open invitation for Benson to gash them for more yardage. With 4:26 left in the first half and the ball on their own 46, the Bengals went single-back, with Jeremi Johnson motioning from outside right to left H-back pre-snap. Baltimore had a straight 5-2-4 with off coverage. Lewis and Landry started for the center just as soon as Johnson settled two yards behind Whitworth. At the snap, Mathis pushed Lewis out to the right because Cook was able to hand Gregg off and out of the play. Benson had a perfect lane when he got the ball, as Whitworth drove Pryce out to the left and Foschi rode Jarret Johnson out the same way. Benson hit the gas down that particular highway for a 15-yard gain.

It's typical to think of teams with great passing games and previously ineffective power blocking as "finesse", but any opponent harboring that assumption about the current Bengals is making a very big mistake. This is as much a power team as any AFC North bully could be, with its stacked lines and inside running, and the schematic variations tell the story of a line with great confidence and continuity. If the Bengals capitalize on their hot start down the stretch, the line will be a major factor -- with or without Andre Smith.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's Belly Up. Anyway, Thank you. Grrroooowwwwlll

Hmm

Registers during steeler week

Writes a lot immediately upon getting started, like he's been here all along

Assumes (in this very thread) Bengals will go bellyup against the Steelers

On Monday Night, he did say that Roethlisberger is only successful because the defense gives him the ball all the time. LOL Take your meds goober!

Defends Roethlisberger as a QB

He better pick it up in picksburg!

Uses a nickname for Pittsburgh, but one that is complimentary rather than derogative

I got two tickets to the Picksburgh squeelers vs our Bengals this Sunday. Section 520. Closed end end zone at Heinz field.

has tickets to the Pittsburgh game, almost certainly lives in or near Pittsburgh

Fellow Bengalzoners, do you smell what I am smelling?

Hmm

On Monday Night, he did say that Roethlisberger is only successful because the defense gives him the ball all the time. LOL Take your meds goober!

Uses a nickname for Pittsburgh, but one that is complimentary rather than derogative

I got two tickets to the Picksburgh squeelers vs our Bengals this Sunday. Section 520. Closed end end zone at Heinz field.

has tickets to the Pittsburgh game, almost certainly lives in or near Pittsburgh

I've been watching Bengals football for 30 years, baby. Quiz my ass! They are who I know they are!

I can't apologize for this board being dead.

And posts this in another thread:

"Harrison won his Super Bowls by cheating! If you take those away, he has as many wins as us (zero)!

But Ceddy Ced is one of the most unusual stories in NFL History. A bust who ends up putting up great digits with another team! A team even less renowned for its running game!!! "

Enthusiastically points out we have zero Super Bowl wins, then needs 3 exclamation points after saying the Bengals are not known as a good running team.

Ban is imminent.

"Harrison won his Super Bowls by cheating! If you take those away, he has as many wins as us (zero)!

But Ceddy Ced is one of the most unusual stories in NFL History. A bust who ends up putting up great digits with another team! A team even less renowned for its running game!!! "

Enthusiastically points out we have zero Super Bowl wins, then needs 3 exclamation points after saying the Bengals are not known as a good running team.

Ban is imminent.

I bet this is the same Stealers plant that was driving Ndukwe's limo. :angry:

Ban is imminent.

Come on, give him a break. He's a Steelers fan that can actually use a computer. He should be applauded. Type on lil buddy...

Ban is imminent.

Excuse me. The exclamation points were about Benson, not about the Bengals not being known for their passing game, you idiot.

GO BENGALS!

Hmm

I've been watching Bengals football for 30 years, baby. Quiz my ass! They are who I know they are!

AH-HAAAA!!!

Notice he said he's been WATCHING Bengals football for 30 years, not that he's been a BENGALS FAN for 30 years?

Yup, if he lasts this week, we'll not see him again after Sunday, after we trash the Stealers.

(For the record, I have to maintain buzzkill for success, so Steelers 34, Bengals 10)

Hmm

AH-HAAAA!!!

Notice he said he's been WATCHING Bengals football for 30 years, not that he's been a BENGALS FAN for 30 years?

Yup, if he lasts this week, we'll not see him again after Sunday, after we trash the Stealers.

(For the record, I have to maintain buzzkill for success, so Steelers 34, Bengals 10)

Sherlock, you're reading WAY too much into that.

I've seen your picture. Nobody looks like that and doesn't suck cock! You're gay. So what! Be proud!

Hmm

AH-HAAAA!!!

I've seen your picture. Nobody looks like that and doesn't suck cock! You're gay. So what! Be proud!

oh my gawsh! what kind of message board is this?

Hmm

AH-HAAAA!!!

One that is going to be lighter by one newbie if he keeps that stuff up.

Hmm

AH-HAAAA!!!

Alright, as I oftentimes tell the new guys...you don't have the mileage on you yet to pull this response off. I'm gonna give you your first ding. Go the 'mea culpa' route, we can fix that. Do what you are tempted to do, and you'll be gone.

Hmm

AH-HAAAA!!!

One that is going to be lighter by one newbie if he keeps that stuff up.

Sorry but I come in here and wipe off the cobwebs in this place and start talking about my Bengals, excited to find this new Bengals board on Squealer week, and instantly I get this crap about "you're a squealer fan".

I don't get that. And I don't live in Pittsburgh. I live in Somerville and have for 30 years. And that's probably the last bit of personal info you'll get from me.

oh my gawsh! we gots us another one!

who is letting in all these disingenuous steeler fans? :-)

*laff*

Ceddy-Ced

an ip comparision might be in order

Is this why so few people post here? Because you assume from no concrete information that everybody isn't a Bengals fan, so you bane them?

Seriously, is it that hard to believe there are Bengals fans out there? We're here, and we're proud! I don't stripe myself on Bengal Sunday for my health!

Sorry but I come in here and wipe off the cobwebs in this place and start talking about my Bengals, excited to find this new Bengals board on Squealer week, and instantly I get this crap about "you're a squealer fan".

I don't get that. And I don't live in Pittsburgh. I live in Somerville and have for 30 years. And that's probably the last bit of personal info you'll get from me.