Simpson or Coffman?

kurgan74

For receiving, I'd actually go with Coffman I think. Sure, he hasn't been playing but that's due to his blocking deficiencies. Simpson, well, he's had a tough time trying to get playing time, for whatever reason, because of the depth we've had at WR. Maybe this is his chance? I think they go with Coffman though, no idea why - I just do.

With Henry's injury which of two will likely get the call to action?

Simpson provides the speed and athleticism, but COffman can be split

out and provides a big RedZone target and could be used similar to

Dallas Clark. What are your thoughts?

I think it's obvious it'll be WR Simpson to replace WR Henry is this scenario.

I think it will be Mo Purify off the P-Squad. I like Purify but I hope we give Jerome a chance, otherwise just cut him b/c you obviously will never play him under any circumstance. Chase deserves to play as well but when we win its hard to change whats working.

Btw, good luck to Chris Henry. That s**t looked bad. You could see the broken bone pinching through his skin. :o

I think it will be Mo Purify off the P-Squad. I like Purify but I hope we give Jerome a chance, otherwise just cut him b/c you obviously will never play him under any circumstance. Chase deserves to play as well but when we win its hard to change whats working.

Btw, good luck to Chris Henry. That s**t looked bad. You could see the broken bone pinching through his skin. :o

I think you are basically right here, but Purify comes up to fill Henry's spot only if he gets IR'ed. Simpson will get some of Henry's reps, but Caldwell, Purify and Cosby will also get some of them(depending on the matchup and Simpson's success).

They may try to get Henry healthy for the playoffs, without putting him on the IR.

Anyone remember when Antonio Freeman played several games with a cast on his arm? Do they not allow this kind of thing anymore?

You're thinking Henry comes back playing in a cast? Damn...that would be hard core.

I reckon him coming back would be highly doubtful. It's both bones broken. And I can imagine he'd be pretty damn protective of his arm and may not go all out for fear of doing more damage.

If Purify is more ready to go than Simpson, then I think Simpson is done. There's just no reason he's not the guy at this point unless he simply sucks. I wouldn't mind seeing Coffman get some snaps, but I just don't see that happening. Why ?? Because I think they would be looking at this from the standpoint that they knew they were going to have to wait for Coffman anyway and by bringing in either Simpson or maybe Purify, it gives them a chance to evaluate one of the young "talents" we have at the position.

I reckon him coming back would be highly doubtful. It's both bones broken. And I can imagine he'd be pretty damn protective of his arm and may not go all out for fear of doing more damage.

It would make one hell of a psychological statement though. A player the team had given up on gets re-signed by an act of God, then does the ultimate act of selflessness and suits up in a cast to play!?! Even Disney movies doesn't lay it on that thick.

If Purify is more ready to go than Simpson, then I think Simpson is done. There's just no reason he's not the guy at this point unless he simply sucks. I wouldn't mind seeing Coffman get some snaps, but I just don't see that happening. Why ?? Because I think they would be looking at this from the standpoint that they knew they were going to have to wait for Coffman anyway and by bringing in either Simpson or maybe Purify, it gives them a chance to evaluate one of the young "talents" we have at the position.

I think it becomes pretty grim for Simpson if he cannot find the field ahead of a practice squad guy, and that is not a knock on Purify.

What is obvious though is that this team has amazing depth at WR. For comparison, look at the scrubs the Ravens lined up out there. Mason is servicable, even if he is aging, however the rest of them are pretty bad.

For what the Bengals do, I think Quan is a great option. Caldwell and Chad stretch the field. I like Quan's moves on PR's, and would like to see him in the slot and in space after the catch.

This could also mean more plays for Leonard and Scott.

If Purify is more ready to go than Simpson, then I think Simpson is done.

I wish he had already been released, but I think they give him this year and next year's camp to see if they can translate his athleticism and potential into on the field production

If i had a dollar to bet - oh, wait.....

ochobribe.jpg

.....yes Chad, thanks dude, appreciate it - no, I still think of you as a douchebag, sorry....

.....no, you can't have it back, I'm keeping the dollar, sorry.....

OK...I bet this dollar that Simpson is no longer with the team by the end of 2010 Training Camp

I think the Simpson pick played a role in the last draft. That pick did not strike me as one that Marvin seemed particularly enamoured with even at the presser. It was a horrible reach. Somebody's fingers got burned when it turned out their pick was a paddle-handed bum and maybe decided to, oh I dunno, f**k right off when it came to this yr's draft.

Hmm it would be interesting to see Coffman and his large frame replace Henry,But In Marvin we Trust so I'll go with Simpson since Marvin said if the roster was 46/47 men that Simpson would dress...Henry wasn't a special teamer so I could see them going with Simpson....I think Mario will get added to the active roster but Simpson gets a chance on game day first imo.

So, whats all this crap about people assuming Simpson isn't ready?

Most are saying "IF" he's not ready and not simply assuming that he isn't. Like I said, I think the team gives him or Purify every chance to prove themselves, but think Simpson has to be the guy here. My other point was "IF" Simpson isn't the choice, he needs to be gone...

Not being funny in any way, but have you heard something to suggest that Simpson has been progressing better than reported to this point ??

I really am hoping the Bengals didn't simply waste a pick on him so any reading would be great...

JoeWrong apparently doesnt know that Simpson has been inactive every week, just as agreen doesn't know this about Coffman

JoeWrong probably also has not read this: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/11/08/palmer-backs-purify-as-henrys-replacement/

That's why this team is having success. Depth!Marv has done a great job at building depth and competition on this squad.

Gotta give credit when credit is due so good call on Purify TJ.. If Palmer has any say, Looks like Maurice fills the spot.

Hopefully Henry gets back by the playoffs though.

JoeWrong apparently doesnt know that Simpson has been inactive every week, just as agreen doesn't know this about Coffman

JoeWrong probably also has not read this: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/11/08/palmer-backs-purify-as-henrys-replacement/

That's why this team is having success. Depth!Marv has done a great job at building depth and competition on this squad.

Gotta give credit when credit is due so good call on Purify TJ.. If Palmer has any say, Looks like Maurice fills the spot.

Hopefully Henry gets back by the playoffs though.

The only way Purify gets on the team is if Henry goes on IR in which case it won't matter if he's ready for the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Palmer wants Purify to replace Henry Posted by cludwig November 8th, 2009, 5:55 pm SIMPSON IS A ONE-DIMENSIONAL WR;

DOES PURIFY DESERVE PROMOTION

OFF THE BENGALS’ PRACTICE SQUAD?

When Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer speaks, people listen.

I wonder if the coaching staff and members of management were listening to Palmer’s advice following the Bengals’ 17-7 victory over the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday.

In a post-game locker room interview with “Mr. Bengal” Dave Lapham, the analyst on the Bengals Radio Network, Palmer endorsed wide receiver Maurice Purify as the player who should replace Chris Henry.

Henry suffered a fractured left forearm in the second quarter against the Ravens.

Lapham asked Palmer how close Jerome Simpson is to getting on the field.

/>http://www.nfl.com/players/jeromesimpson/careerstats?id=SIM531556

Simpson, the Bengals’ second-round draft pick from Coastal Carolina in 2008, has been deactivated for all eight games so far this season.

In other words, he’s on the 53-man roster, but has yet to be activated to the 45-man, game-day roster in 2009.

Simpson has one career catch for 2 yards.

“He’s close,” Palmer said. “But the guy who’s closer is Maurice Purify.”

Palmer then proceeded to give Maurice some man-love, saying that Purify is a fast, physical receiver and a more-than-willing run-blocker.with size and speed.

Purify, toiling in obscurity on the Bengals’ eight-man practice squad, excelled in training camp and in the preseason in kick coverage on special teams.

Purify gives the Bengals a dual threat — a solid receiver and a special teams gunner.

Purify’s versatility could give him a “leg up” on Simpson, who is viewed as a one-dimensional receiver, which is a luxury in the NFL.

I think the Simpson pick played a role in the last draft. That pick did not strike me as one that Marvin seemed particularly enamoured with even at the presser. It was a horrible reach. Somebody's fingers got burned when it turned out their pick was a paddle-handed bum and maybe decided to, oh I dunno, f**k right off when it came to this yr's draft.

That's an interesting take. I hope you're right, and if it keeps non-football people the hell out of the draft room, then good.

They may try to get Henry healthy for the playoffs, without putting him on the IR.

Well, last year Anquan Boldin got his nasal cavity broken and jaw broken and all smashed up. He had surgery and they put 8 plates in his face along with some wires to hold it all together. He refused all painkillers after surgery and missed 2, count 'em, 2 games. Then he came back, face still all plated together, and had 9 catches, 2 for TDs, in his first game back. So can Henry come back? Maybe. I just like talking about how incredibly tough Anquan Boldin is.

Another thing that shows how awesome Boldin is - He fired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent this spring.