This team is... a team

derekshank

I just finished rewatching the game. While I don't think this team has as much individual talent as they had in '05, I really see this team as very cohesive.

The O-Line is a perfect example. Back in '05 they had Willie and Levi playing in their prime. Rich Braham was the center and Steiny at LG. There was a lot of individual talent on that line. This line doesn't have nearly that kind of talent... but they play together. I noticed several plays where Harrison's speed was causing problems for Whitworth, and every time Mathis jumped to his left side and pushed Harrison out of the play. And after the play these guys are constantly patting each other on the helmet, helping each other get up fighting for each other when there is extra-curricular stuff going on. They are playing as a unit... and the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

When the Bengals scored the 2-point conversion, Kyle Cook ran up and gave Palmer a big hug. It just seems like they are really in this together. This just made me laugh, because Palmer looked surprised. It looked like he wasn't used to having fun out there... and that is exactly what this team is doing. They are playing a game, and loving it. There is no finger pointing when things aren't going well. They all just try to do their own jobs.

That's why I think this team has more potential than teams in the past. Maybe not as deep. Maybe not quite as talented. But they are a real team.

When the Bengals scored the 2-point conversion, Kyle Cook ran up and gave Palmer a big hug. It just seems like they are really in this together.

There's a photo somewhere on the web of bobbie williams hugging carson at the end of the drive. And by hug I mean he leapt into carsons arms, wrapped his legs around carson's waste, arms around his neck, and hollowed with his head back. It looked like a black, hairy cloud had enveloped carson. And I loved it.

I don't care about talent level -- if these guys play like a unit and WANT TO WIN more than they want to be on sportscenter, we'll go real far.

When the Bengals scored the 2-point conversion, Kyle Cook ran up and gave Palmer a big hug. It just seems like they are really in this together.

There's a photo somewhere on the web of bobbie williams hugging carson at the end of the drive. And by hug I mean he leapt into carsons arms, wrapped his legs around carson's waste, arms around his neck, and hollowed with his head back. It looked like a black, hairy cloud had enveloped carson. And I loved it.

I don't care about talent level -- if these guys play like a unit and WANT TO WIN more than they want to be on sportscenter, we'll go real far.

I saw that photo of Carson holding Williams in the air. While it was a great moment, I couldn't help thinking, "We just got him healthy, for the love of all that's good, don't give the man a hernia now!"

I think this team is way more talented than 05. The O-line from 05 edges this one, but this line is getting better and better. Defensively this team is WAAAAAY Better.

As a team, they may be better. I just don't know that there is more individual talent, '05 had Deltha Oneal and Tory James both playing at very high levels. Not to mention Madieu Williams and Odell Thurman playing out of their minds for one season.

We could argue this back and forth all day long though... because they are completely different teams. I just don't see nearly as much of an individual mindset on this team. They want W's, not stats. That didn't seem nearly as true in '05.

Not only that, but in '05 that defensive line still had much improving that needed to be done. They survived off the turnover, where we no longer need to have the big play to win. I loved JJoe was able to get the pick 6, but there will be plenty of games where this defense will be able to hold it's own simply because it will be able to close out teams on 3rd downs and continue to force FG's as opposed to allowing TD's.

Just my take...

I just finished rewatching the game. While I don't think this team has as much individual talent as they had in '05, I really see this team as very cohesive.

The O-Line is a perfect example. Back in '05 they had Willie and Levi playing in their prime. Rich Braham was the center and Steiny at LG. There was a lot of individual talent on that line. This line doesn't have nearly that kind of talent... but they play together. I noticed several plays where Harrison's speed was causing problems for Whitworth, and every time Mathis jumped to his left side and pushed Harrison out of the play. And after the play these guys are constantly patting each other on the helmet, helping each other get up fighting for each other when there is extra-curricular stuff going on. They are playing as a unit... and the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

When the Bengals scored the 2-point conversion, Kyle Cook ran up and gave Palmer a big hug. It just seems like they are really in this together. This just made me laugh, because Palmer looked surprised. It looked like he wasn't used to having fun out there... and that is exactly what this team is doing. They are playing a game, and loving it. There is no finger pointing when things aren't going well. They all just try to do their own jobs.

That's why I think this team has more potential than teams in the past. Maybe not as deep. Maybe not quite as talented. But they are a real team.

Early leader for post of the week.

Thanks for the insight and thoughts, Derek.

Speaking of the o-line i really hope they decide to keep Mathis playing, i think right now he is much better then Livings, so i hope they keep him playing.

As far as talent your right we can go back and forth who is better, but we have players here now who want to win, who seem to come toghter as a team when the game is on the line. Just maybe they are finally buyin into Marvins gameplans.

Great thread Derek, just a great thread. I think it's the overall mentality of this team that I love so much. It's as Zimmer said, these are the guys that nobody wanted. They play like they have something to prove to everyone. And what better a team for all those castoffs to come to then the Bengals, who have been written off so many times as an organization.

I'm a college freshman right now, and instead of taking a division II scholarship to play football, i'm coaching defensive backs at my old high school. We went 9-1 last year and have been good for a very long time, and we're struggling early on this year. We've been in some close games so far and haven't reacted well when facing adversity. How does this relate to our Bengals? I brought up the point to another coach that the team may be struggling cause they've never learned how to lose -- how to fight through a real beating and still want to win, to want a win so bad because you haven't seen one in awhile. We did that last year. We struggled without Carson, the offense was baaad, but they kept fighting, and playing hard, and that toughness turned into three wins at the end of the year. We're seeing the results of that toughness now. This is a group that's cohesive, playing not just with each other but for each other, and they're fighting to prove a lot of people wrong. This team is hungry.