Antwan Odom

Stripes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50/50 we see Andre Smith at TE in short yardage situation next week, IMO.

Are you serious?

Bengals do that all the time. Levi did the TE thing in the "elephant" package too. If he can play Mikey will want him in...he is getting $21 million guaranteed no matter how many downs he plays, after all. And frankly, he can use the reps.

So, there's a Titans message board I used to post on all the time, and we had a big debate about the Odom signing. They all claimed he'd be nothing without Haynesworth next to him and repeatedly congratulated the Bengals on throwing millions down the drain.

Unfortunately that site closed down, but I've found a few of the old posters at a new place. They still claim he's not that good...it was all because the LT's injury that he was able to tee off.

I'm not denying the injury helped, but seriously people...if 7 sacks in two games isn't enough to admit a guy has talent, then I don't know what is.

Hats off to Odom for sure. He played like a monster, although can anyone tell me where the hell chase coffman is? is he injured aswell?

OK but inactive today. The Bengals are looking for blockers at the TE slot. 50/50 we see Andre Smith at TE in short yardage situation next week, IMO.

How do you know he'll even be able to practice this week? Don't forget the guy has a broken foot!

Let's see him put in a week of practice then we'll predict when he'll return...

The D really can't play much better. In two games now they've allowed one real TD drive. That's it

I think they can get better simply by getting some luck. They had at least 3 balls that could have bee INT's today. One bounce their way and they get a couple of take-aways...

the play of the secondary has been better. it is the only area where I get nervous. QB get more than 4 seconds and I wonder who is about to get burned. My anxiety is passing though with the improved play of JJoe and Leon.

Antwan is playin like a man possessed! Of course Titans fans are gonna diss him, you always diss who leaves you like TJ (btw f**k you TJ)!

The rest of the line will get into the act when every team has to double Odom, plus Domata said that they were helping their RT so much after he got abused by the Bears last week.

Especially since he had two sacks already when the injury occurred.

Haha, yeah, I pointed out that little fact.

The D really can't play much better. In two games now they've allowed one real TD drive. That's it

I think they can get better simply by getting some luck. They had at least 3 balls that could have bee INT's today. One bounce their way and they get a couple of take-aways...

Yeah, the lack of an INT so far is killing me! Not blaming the D...sometimes they just don't go your way. Still, I'm ready to see this D put some points on the board or at least give the offense a short field like we often got in 2005. :P

Crazy performance. Pretty damn inspiring if you ask me. Now Jumpy needs to take a cue and get in the action.

Just thinking the same thing, its time for the other d-linemen to get into the act. Pretty soon they may have to double team him so that will help the other guys. Great game for him today.

I'm not going to take anything away from Odom... because that was an amazing game, but as you pointed out... he's not being double teamed. Justin Smith was always double teamed at that spot.

Why the change? Did the defense not respect Odom? Not the issue. This DT rotation is the best I can remember playing for the Bengals. When's the last time we could feel confident if a team was going to try to run up the middle on the Bengals? The DTs are using up 3 or more blockers every single play, and still making the tackle. As long as they keep that up... the good pass rush will continue.

Def a team effort on Odom's sacks. That's something that we have not really appreciated as a fanbase. The grunt work in the middle frees up guys like Odom to kill (although he got his two sacks from the DT position in week one). The entire defensive front four has been shockingly good through two games. Even though Geathers didn't get a sack yesterday, he put at least two hellacious hits on Rodgers as Rodgers was getting rid of the ball. And Johnson is getting close to bagging his first sack as well. Tank, Domato, and Sims in the middle are consistently causing teams problems.

It is absolutely a joy to watch. It has been at least two decades since I have seen a front four this capable in Cincy. And last anchored by Tim Krumrie.

ETA: That said about Odom getting single blocking, at least he did something with the single blocking. Like kill his man and then get to the QB and put him down. It was nice to see a Bengals DE get to the pocket and wrap the QB up consistently. That will be especially important this week against Roeth.

I mentioned the DTs specifically in the after game thoughts threads. All our DTS are doing their jobs. Without that the DEs get nothing. Team effort. DTs demanding blockers and DEs getting the better of their man on the line. Excellent. The foundation of a good defence is the front 7. We have that and one more piece at LB will turn this D into something to be reckoned with I think. (plus better safeties please)

Even though Geathers didn't get a  sack yesterday, he put at least two hellacious hits on Rodgers as  Rodgers was getting rid of the ball.

Absolutely. In fact, one of those hits seemed to hurt Rodgers enough that I think it got in his head a little. At the beginning of the game he was elusive and seemed very confident despite the pressure. Towards the end of the game, he looked a little rushed and worried. I think the violence of the Geathers hits had as much to do with this if not more than Odom's sacks did.

That said about Odom getting single blocking, at least he did something with the single blocking. Like kill his man and then get to the QB and put him down.

Absolutely. I actually was hesitant to even post my remarks because I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to dismiss what Odom did. 5 sacks is damn impressive, no matter who they have blocking you. I think Odom is an above average DE, and he will continue to get pressure on QBs. But as we agreed upon, this was a group effort. I've always felt like the Bengals had solid to above average DE play. But in the past, they had extremely weak DT play.

Teams could always run up the middle, and the DEs were forced to make stopping the run a greater priority than creating a good pass rush. With the good to great play the Bengals are getting from the DTs, you don't see the double teams on the DEs, and you see a good pass rush from the front four. I love seeing the QB being pressured when there is no blitz!

I had high hopes for Geathers coming into this game after what happened to the packers RT last week. I have to say he didn't let me down regardless of what his sack numbers are. Geathers was consistently beating Barbre and then mauling a RB away forcing Rodgers to roll out to his left . . . into the arms of Odom. If you watch the Odom replays Rodgers is mainly forced to his left where Odom was consistently beating their RT. Without the pressure from geathers he wouldn't have had the day he did. Props to the whole D-line.

Favorite announcer sound bite of the day? "FIVE SACKS! FIVE! ANTOWN ODOM IS NOT HUMAN!"

And sports center ALMOST gave the bengals a little respect this morning (only called us the bungles once!)

Can't wait for Pitt. I hope Ben brings his big girl painties to PBS. It's going to be a long day.

I had high hopes for Geathers coming into this game after what happened to the packers RT last week. I have to say he didn't let me down regardless of what his sack numbers are. Geathers was consistently beating Barbre and then mauling a RB away forcing Rodgers to roll out to his left . . . into the arms of Odom. If you watch the Odom replays Rodgers is mainly forced to his left where Odom was consistently beating their RT. Without the pressure from geathers he wouldn't have had the day he did. Props to the whole D-line.

Favorite announcer sound bite of the day? "FIVE SACKS! FIVE! ANTOWN ODOM IS NOT HUMAN!"

And sports center ALMOST gave the bengals a little respect this morning (only called us the bungles once!)

Can't wait for Pitt. I hope Ben brings his big girl painties to PBS. It's going to be a long day.

Sacks in themselves are nice of course, a negative play is always welcome but say a team has 50 sacks in a yr. 3 negative plays a game is OK. Not nearly enough to be significant in themselves though. It's what sack numbers give us an indication of, however, and it is far more important. It tells us the D-line is putting pressure on opposition QBs and that is vital. Give an NFL QB time and he'll pick you apart. Get in his face (even if you don't actually touch him) and you force at least more 3 & outs, if not turnovers.

The Bengals had 17 sacks ALL OF LAST SEASON and Odom already has 7 on the season to this point.

Exactly the reason I was telling people to wait to see how he comes back from his injury last year before calling him the biggest waste of money in Bengals history, like we had been getting here since he got hurt last year...

Let me also throw in an honorable mention to Rey Maualuga who forced 2 fumbles (1 recovered by the Bengals) and has been a force as well.

Good call Army. This def is only going to get better A good line fast young corners good linebackers veteran safeties. Plus Carson hasn't really played much in a year he is just getting his legs back and Chad looks like the old Chad. And Benson Whoa!! O-Line played better. Things looking better guys

So, there's a Titans message board I used to post on all the time, and we had a big debate about the Odom signing. They all claimed he'd be nothing without Haynesworth next to him and repeatedly congratulated the Bengals on throwing millions down the drain.

Unfortunately that site closed down, but I've found a few of the old posters at a new place. They still claim he's not that good...it was all because the LT's injury that he was able to tee off.

I'm not denying the injury helped, but seriously people...if 7 sacks in two games isn't enough to admit a guy has talent, then I don't know what is.

I think Jared Allen did the same thing to Levi Jones a few years back. The fact that Levi was injured didn't matter did it. We lost that game and that's the only thing people will remember. There are no degrees of victory or defeat. We've been on the receiving end too many times so let's try not to minimize it.

Odom's playing great. He's got a good supporting cast and Zimmer is a top notch DC. Good job defense.

I think Jared Allen did the same thing to Levi Jones a few years back. The fact that Levi was injured didn't matter did it. We lost that game and that's the only thing people will remember. There are no degrees of victory or defeat. We've been on the receiving end too many times so let's try not to minimize it.

Odom's playing great. He's got a good supporting cast and Zimmer is a top notch DC. Good job defense.

your point holds true but jared allen, i think, had 2 sacks and was abusing Levi the whole time. A 5 sack performance is just unheard of. THe GB announcers yesterday kept shouting "AFC Defensive player of the week! Do you need help packing your bags for Hawaii mr. Odom?" I know it's only 2 games in, but when you have the opposing team's announcers going ga ga over a player like they were for Odom you know something special is going on.

I just can't believe that we have 9 sacks after 2 games. I love it. Pour it on D!

your point holds true but jared allen, i think, had 2 sacks and was abusing Levi the whole time. A 5 sack performance is just unheard of. THe GB announcers yesterday kept shouting "AFC Defensive player of the week! Do you need help packing your bags for Hawaii mr. Odom?" I know it's only 2 games in, but when you have the opposing team's announcers going ga ga over a player like they were for Odom you know something special is going on.

I just can't believe that we have 9 sacks after 2 games. I love it. Pour it on D!

My point isn't directed at you but to the folks that are trying to minimize it because he was going against a sub for the latter part of the game. Doesn't matter who you go against it still counts.

I too am happy to see Odom finally get a chance to prosper here. Keep it up!