Who do I root for?

gregstephens

Walzav's topic about converting his Lion-loving brother prompted me to write a story on rooting for alternative teams:

/>http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7774-Cincinnati-Bengals-Examiner~y2009m8d18-The-complete-Bengals-fan-guide-to-rooting-for-other-teams

That's the guide I live by.

Funny article Greg...

I find myself rooting for my buddies teams unless they are an AFCN team. If I can't enjoy the post season at least maybe one of my budides teams will make it and they will throw a big party. For some reason I can't remember for the life of me, if I wasn't rooting for the Bengals, I was always rooting for the Saints. If I was going to pick a #2 team to root for, it would be them.

Funny article Greg...

I find myself rooting for my buddies teams unless they are an AFCN team. If I can't enjoy the post season at least maybe one of my budides teams will make it and they will throw a big party. For some reason I can't remember for the life of me, if I wasn't rooting for the Bengals, I was always rooting for the Saints. If I was going to pick a #2 team to root for, it would be them.

I didn't feel like doing an article bandwagon-griping about Carson's ankle (that'll be tonight's article), so I decided to lighten it up a bit with Wally's idea.

I've always like the Saints, too. Wasn't as enthusiastic when Aaron Brooks was there, but always liked their underdog spirit.

Funny article, Greg. I have to admit, I actually find rooting for the Raiders MORE appealing now due to Davis' senility. Besides that, they have more parallels w/ the Bengals than I'm comfortable with admitting.

Usually when I'm not rooting for the Bengals, you can find me rooting for the Packers -- I liked Favre when he was there, now that he's gone (like a jackass, to their division rival) I root for them all the more. Also, I will root for the Titans out of respect for Fisher and a consistently solid club and because my wife's from Nashville and we have many friends down there.

Woe is we.

Not to derail the thread, but many of you guys have made me question whether it's even possible for a fan to pick which team he roots for.

For example, this board seems filled to the brim with whining always angry Bengal fans who hate everything about the team with the sole exception of where they play their home games. Yet most of those same fans would quickly admit geography and proximity alone are very poor reasons for picking a favorite team.

Yet there it is.

Simply because the Bengals included the word Cincinnati in the name the local citizens are apparently powerless to prevent themselves from being identified as a Bengal fan....even though the internet makes following and supporting any team nearly as easy as rooting for a team that actually plays in your back yard. In fact, you can instantly become a fan of a 6-time world championship franchise simply by declaring yourself to be one.

It's true.

But instead, we see scads of retarded Cincy area almost-fans constantly gnashing their teeth over things they already knew the Bengals were going to do. And while those same teeth gnashers seem justifiably proud of their perpetual anger they never actually do anything about it. In fact, in their own way, the constant whiners who can't bring themselves to consider leaving are just as accepting of their fate as those they so often enjoy mocking.

For example, this board seems filled to the brim with whining always angry Bengal fans who hate everything about the team with the sole exception of where they play their home games. Yet most of those same fans would quickly admit geography and proximity alone are very poor reasons for picking a favorite team.

Depends whether you see this sort of thing as a choice. I'm a Bengal fan because I was raised to be one. It becomes part of who you are. Sort of like how I'm a UK fan above all else. My parents were UK fans, my grandparents were UK fans....

How do you change who you are? Can you even do so? For me, it's clearly no longer about proximity or I'd be a 'Skins fan. But if I were *choosing* what team to follow? Well, a team with one winning season in 18 probably wouldn't be my first choice. Certainly does lead to some rather conflicted mindset including anger, cynicism, and possibly fear and loathing.

In fact, you can instantly become a fan of a 6-time world championship franchise simply by declaring yourself to be one.

Sure, if you're a bandwagon, front-running sh*tface. Thing is though, to be a Steeler fan they require you to remove teeth, IQ points, and demand you fornicate with your closest female family member.

But instead, we see scads of retarded Cincy area almost-fans constantly gnashing their teeth over things they already knew the Bengals were going to do. And while those same teeth gnashers seem justifiably proud of their perpetual anger they never actually do anything about it. In fact, in their own way, the constant whiners who can't bring themselves to consider leaving are just as accepting of their fate as those they so often enjoy mocking.

True. It really almost becomes a religious style discussion of predestination vs. free-will. Sure we know it's going to happen. Pretty much pre-ordained. But it still sucks every year they rip your heart out with a rusty spoon.

But it's still better than being a front-running sh*tface, so a Bengal fan I remain.

Woe is we.

Not to derail the thread, but many of you guys have made me question whether it's even possible for a fan to pick which team he roots for.

Yet there it is.

Simply because the Bengals included the word Cincinnati in the name the local citizens are apparently powerless to prevent themselves from being identified as a Bengal fan....even though the internet makes following and supporting any team nearly as easy as rooting for a team that actually plays in your back yard. In fact, you can instantly become a fan of a 6-time world championship franchise simply by declaring yourself to be one.

It's true.

Just curious, but why are you a fan of the Bengals?

Just curious, but why are you a fan of the Bengals?

Because Paul Brown looked exactly like my Grandpa Ray....right down to the fedora.

For the record, I was a very young Brownie fan until they fired Paul, then I spent several years pulling for the Rams....who still remain my favorite NFC team. I then promptly became a Bengal fan sometime around late 66 or early 67 when the news of the expansion Bengals was announced. So yeah, I get the whole home team thing, and I know how hard it is to break existing ties. But there's the rub because plenty of you guys actually want to break those ties, but can't. And that's crazy when you consider what being a Bengal fan has done to some of you. In all seriousness, some of you have morphed into wretched pathetic creatures who aren't even worthy of my pity or scorn....yet you have it. Because damnit, it's never been easier for any fan to switch now that you can read team reports online or see every game on NFL Sunday Ticket.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why most of us remain Bengal fans. We are all together a band of fake brothers, and we know any burden shared by all is a burden more easily carried by each. That said, when I see how some of you guys act I realize I haven't a clue why many of you claim to still be Bengal fans, and for that matter....I wish you wouldn't.

I've been a fan since I can remember as well (very early 70's) thanks to my father, uncles, grandfathers, and basically everyone I can remember knowing growing up. Dedication to family and hometown were beat into me early on and not being a fan of both the Reds and Bengals was just not an option. Thing is though, had I had the option, I would have been a fan anyway because I enjoy the sports and hometeam is just hometeam. It's who I identify with and that's that. I wouldn't change who I root for and will live and die in the situation I currently fond myself. I have seen the Reds win the World Series and God willing, will see the Bengals win the Super Bowl before I die.

Hell, funny thing is when I was in Afghanistan our location got what we called "plug and plays" towards the end of our deployment, which were basically rail car conexes and we were able to do what we wanted on the inside. I promptly got my hands on some Black, Orange, and White spray paint and did the inside up all Bengals style. I even had my 3 jerseys I took with me hanging up on the wall. I think I have a picture and will have to find it...

I take Bengals stuff everywhere I go and have a HUGE Bengals towel hanging on my office wall at work as well. Yeah, it's like that for me...

Shorter HairOnFire: Meghan McCain is hot.

What?

Huh?

Who's hot you ask?

Oh, I see.

Meghan McCain.

Indeed.

Hot...like a biscuit.

That being, steamy, flaky, buttery, and oh so good to put in your mouth.

But you can't eat just one, can you?

Which may explain why Cindy is always there in my dreams, watching as Meghan and I thrust about, attempting to save whatever remains of the Republican party with our throbbing passion.

Failure has never felt so glorious.

What?

Huh?

Hell, funny thing is when I was in Afghanistan our location got what we called "plug and plays" towards the end of our deployment, which were basically rail car conexes and we were able to do what we wanted on the inside.

Memo 1:

To: Georgetown College

Gentlemen, I am hereby invoking Paragraph 8, Subsection 2, Line 7, of our lease, and thus terminating our yearly July/August lease of your dormitories. We'll still need the use of your athletic facilities, as per Subsection 1 of the lease. You may notice that I structured our agreement so that 98% of our existing lease payment was for the dorms, 2% for the fields and training facilities. Zing!

Memo 2:

To: CSX Railroad

Gentlemen, I am interested in leasing the 61 abandoned rail cars you have sitting on a siding on the east side of Georgetown, Kentucky, near Cynthiana Stret. The lease will be yearly, for the months of July and August only. Perhaps you have an intern in your legal department who could use this simple lease negotiation as good experience. Please have said intern contact me at Bengals Headquarters, 469 Other Peoples Money Blvd, Cincinnati, Ohio 48923.

Hell, funny thing is when I was in Afghanistan our location got what we called "plug and plays" towards the end of our deployment, which were basically rail car conexes and we were able to do what we wanted on the inside.

Memo 1:

To: Georgetown College

Gentlemen, I am hereby invoking Paragraph 8, Subsection 2, Line 7, of our lease, and thus terminating our yearly July/August lease of your dormitories. We'll still need the use of your athletic facilities, as per Subsection 1 of the lease. You may notice that I structured our agreement so that 98% of our existing lease payment was for the dorms, 2% for the fields and training facilities. Zing!

Memo 2:

To: CSX Railroad

Gentlemen, I am interested in leasing the 61 abandoned rail cars you have sitting on a siding on the east side of Georgetown, Kentucky, near Cynthiana Stret. The lease will be yearly, for the months of July and August only. Perhaps you have an intern in your legal department who could use this simple lease negotiation as good experience. Please have said intern contact me at Bengals Headquarters, 469 Other Peoples Money Blvd, Cincinnati, Ohio 48923.

Oh, crap...

I hope SoP doesn't read our forums. Fredo will be pissed he don't got nowhere to plug in all his gizmos.

No, they are good. They are called "plug and play" for a reason. They have electricity, but nothing else. I had to get a bed that would fit in there and then got some hardware to built shelves and a desk. We had them install some small AC units in them and wired them for a shared internet line. It was pretty crappy, but after living for better than 6 months in the dirt, it was like moving into the Beverly Hills !!!

On a side note, this is a good idea as I would have some employment after retirement giving each conex that "Bengals" feel to them with my spray paint special !!!

BengalsConex.jpg

Bengals 1st.....Lions 2nd....they both had bad years last year so I'm hoping for better things from the F/As and good drafts they had this off season. Hell it could happen

Bengals 1st.....Lions 2nd....they both had bad years last year so I'm hoping for better things from the F/As and good drafts they had this off season. Hell it could happen

Well, I think the Bengals have a better shot than the Lions for the most improvement, but I think both teams will be much improved over last year's teams.

Bengals 1st.....Lions 2nd

Bengals, Lions, Reds, & Orioles...damn dude...that's rough.

I'm an Islanders fan, that ain't been all rainbows and lollipops you know.

Other than having other favorite teams, I find myself rooting for teams playing rival teams of my favorite team. Whoever's playing Pittsburgh, etc.

In baseball I have always liked the Twins as my AL team though.