Rey Maualuga signed

walzav29

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/29/rey-maualuga-agrees-to-terms/

I heard about this site on Scott Ferrell. It's the best football site ever. They had this before Bengals.com did.

Rey Maualuga agrees to terms

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 29, 2009 12:26 PM ET

Cincinnati Bengals second-round linebacker Rey Maualuga has agreed to terms, according to a league source.

Per our source, Maualuga received $2.84 million in guaranteed money. The deal carries a total value of $4.66 million for the 38th overall pick of the NFL Draft.

A three-year starter at USC, Maualuga registered 273 career tackles, 22.5 tackles for losses, nine sacks and five interceptions.

Last season, the 6'1", 249-pounder recorded 79 tackles and two interceptions for the Trojans.

Easily the best line from Joe Reedy's blog:

"Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said yesterday that he will play Maualuga in the middle in some packages."

Big angry man in middle of the Bengals D! Excellent!

Anybody else notice that PFT and the Enquirer both posted this before bengals.com?

No problem Walls, I think that's what you were trying to do. PFT usually has those releases before the official site, so this one doesn't suprise me either. I think almost every pick was broken on PFT prior to the release showing up on the official site. I figure as long as we get the news, I don't care where it comes from.

a little unusual to get the 2nd rounder signed before the 3rd rounder...but as long as they all report to training camp, I dont care what order they come in

Anything that gets us closer to signing A. Smith, the better. If the 2nd comes before the 3rd, so be it, but yeah, I was thinking the same.

a little unusual to get the 2nd rounder signed before the 3rd rounder...but as long as they all report to training camp, I dont care what order they come in

Haven't looked it up, but possible reasons include slotting, more reasonable agent, or a desire to get on the field and win a job. I'm hoping for #3, myself. I can't wait to see him hit somebody, preferably wearing yellow.

I think in week 3 if the Bengals D were playing tough it would really show that they've arrived if Rey just leveled Hines.

I hate to burst the bubble here, but this is not being reported on the official site yet, nor have I received a press release from Bengals pr, which I always do upon a signing.

I won't accept this is a confirmed signing until I see one of those two things. Not sayin' anything about PFT...just sayin'.

I figured best case, they have everyone but Smith signed and ready to go by first practice when the cameras are rolling, and it looks like they have a shot at that. Pretty important getting Malaluga in on time, given that they need him to slot into the starting line-up quickly if they want to progress. Given what they want Johnson to do, also important to get him in on time. Smith can play RT getting out of bed in the morning, which is another reason why it likely won't be anytime soon before they get him signed. Not enough urgency on either side, I would suspect...

I think in week 3 if the Bengals D were playing tough it would really show that they've arrived if Rey just leveled Hines.

I hate to burst the bubble here, but this is not being reported on the official site yet, nor have I received a press release from Bengals pr, which I always do upon a signing.

I won't accept this is a confirmed signing until I see one of those two things. Not sayin' anything about PFT...just sayin'.

It is on the official site, look to the right under "Headlines"...

Easily the best line from Joe Reedy's blog:

"Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said yesterday that he will play Maualuga in the middle in some packages."

Big angry man in middle of the Bengals D! Excellent!

Anybody else notice that PFT and the Enquirer both posted this before bengals.com?

Hence why I tend to check PFT & Rotoworld before I go to bengals.com on my list of sites to check :|

Just guessing, but you've got to wonder if Johnson's contract might take a little longer to iron out due to the likely inclusion of incentive triggers based upon sack totals and playing time.

I can't imagine a third rounder holding out of training camp, am relieved to see Maualuga signed, MJ will happen before the first practice on Friday and then we just have to wait for Andre the Giant.

In a related note, anyone have the Hard Knocks schedule?