Any chance Andre Smith is signed...ever?

walzav29

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did find it amusing the Smith's agent, Keels, was the one who broke it on his Twitter and he isn't his agent...

Keels has to be loving the stupid amount of money Oakland just gave DHB. Dollar signs in his eyes !!!

Uh huh. Keels played this perfect. Get to represent the guys at 6 and 7, pillage Al Davis first, and use it as leverage for #6

with Mikey. Well played, sir.

At some point, if the money involved is just completely stupid...do you just no-bid him? Do you just say, hell with it, if you're not coming in for less than that, we're not interested? Trade his rights? Though that might be tough with the rookie pool unless they do it ASAP.

I mean, at some point 20%/year growth is a bubble that has to pop, and with the CBA up, I might want the flexibility of not having a massive contract like that on the books. If Mikey said 'fuggit', I'm not sure I'd bash him.

Al Davis gets more senile, and more gullible, every year.

Well in comparison:

Mark Sanchez signed for: 5 years, 50 million, and 28 million guaranteed

Heyward-Bey signed for: 5 years, 54 million, and 23.5 million guaranteed

That just looks retarded considering Sanchez is a QB. The two deals are almost the same when factoring in the difference.

In looking at the two deals I think the Bengals are going to be in an odd situation as they thought the Sanchez deal was crazy high being a QB deal.

In a post about Sirius saying A. Smith was going to be a holdout, I wrote Smith was looking at: 5 years, 57 million, and 25 million guaranteed.

We shall see, but the incentives are still going to be the key as DHB will only hit that amount if he hits all the incentives. If not, 38.2 million.

The guaranteed money is roughly a 20% bump over Sedrick Ellis' deal in the same spot last year. The base salary totals go up 14%.

Well, that news just ruined my day.

Those increases are less than the increases Sanchez got over the #5 spot last year... so Al Davis isn't the only one to blame here. Regardless... A. Smith is pretty much locked in now. My prediction earlier today of $58 million ($25M guaranteed) is looking pretty close actually.

I did find it amusing the Smith's agent, Keels, was the one who broke it on his Twitter and he isn't his agent...

Keels has to be loving the stupid amount of money Oakland just gave DHB. Dollar signs in his eyes !!!

Uh huh. Keels played this perfect. Get to represent the guys at 6 and 7

He DIDN'T represent Heyward-Bey. That's what makes it so odd...

Oakland did 20% increase where was suppossed do 16% no? doesn't seem like they gave DHB all that much extra...only problem is the player who is getting it lol...Ya I noticed that too about keels breaking the story should be good thing that he was following DHB that closely .....

Jason Smith signs

Rams, Smith strike a deal

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2009 6:27 PM ET

The Rams have announced that a deal has been reached with tackle Jason Smith, the second overall pick in the draft.

No terms were revealed, but it likely is a six-year deal.

Whether it approaches the $41.7 million in guaranteed money paid to the first overall pick, quarterback Matthew Stafford of the Lions, remains to be seen.

Stafford and Smith are both represented by CAA.

Smith is expected to start his career at right tackle, and then move to the left side.

Unless the Rams sign a certain left-handed quarterback in whom they claim not to be interested.

$33 million guaranteed for Jason Smith

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2009 7:08 PM ET

Well, Rams tackle Jason Smith didn't get close to $41.7 million guaranteed as the second overall pick in the draft.

But he won't be forced to follow a fast-food diet anytime soon.

Per a league source, Smith will receive $33 million guaranteed on a six-year deal that voids to only five.

The duration is the key; based on a five-year haul, his average guaranteed money per year is $6.6 million.

And that's $600,000 per year better than the five-year deal with $30 million guaranteed that tackle Jake Long, the first overall pick in 2008, received from the Dolphins.

The contract also has a maximum value of $61 million, if all bells and whistles are reached.

Uh huh. Keels played this perfect. Get to represent the guys at 6 and 7

He DIDN'T represent Heyward-Bey. That's what makes it so odd...

My bad, I misread that PFT story. Serves me right. ;)

In that case, good on Keels for realizing that *someone* would rape Al Davis, and then publicizing the hell out of the result to the benefit of his client.

Actually I am glad Keels was at least keeping up with the signing of DHB and realizing his first round client just got slotted.

Hope they get this done quick...

Yeah, it should be fairly easy to slot him in now. So hopefully he'll be in camp in a matter of days.

According to PFT:

Leon Washington shows up in New York

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2009 8:27 AM ET

The Leon Washington holdout has ended, at all of one day.

According to the official Jets Twitter page, Washington is with the team at practice.

Washington didn't show up Thursday for the start of training camp, which consisted of meetings and no on-field work.

Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger recently reported that Washington could have a new deal by the weekend.

The fourth-year tailback wants a new contract to replace a deal that currently will pay him only $535,000 in 2009.

Now maybe Keels CAN get Smith in soon since this is his only other client to my understanding. Based on this, I'll now change to the under for next Friday's intersquad game.

Now maybe Keels CAN get Smith in soon since this is his only other client to my understanding. Based on this, I'll now change to the under for next Friday's intersquad game.

Well, that's the sort of goofy thing - he should be paying more attention to Smith, since Smith's contract should dwarf Washington's.

Then again, he probably realizes that the Bengals aren't going anywhere, whereas the Jets don't have to do anything for Washington. Which is why the system is so FUBAR; the agents don't really represent their clients' interests.

Well, that's the sort of goofy thing - he should be paying more attention to Smith, since Smith's contract should dwarf Washington's.

Then again, he probably realizes that the Bengals aren't going anywhere, whereas the Jets don't have to do anything for Washington. Which is why the system is so FUBAR; the agents don't really represent their clients' interests.

Washington showed up to camp so hopefully smith is the focus.

Washington showed up to camp so hopefully smith is the focus.

That'd be great. You know, if Keels can be bothered to go earn the better part of a million dollars to find a rough midpoint between $23.5M and $28M guaranteed.

That's what I love - by the time these guys are slotted, no way the agent earns his 3%. You figure that Smith's camp will open at a little over $26M, the Bengals about $25M. Meet at about $25.5M. Why the hell should Keels get $750,000 to split the difference of about $1M?

All these agents who wait for the players to get slotted should give a kickback to the ones who actually have the guts to do a deal.

Agents should be required to drop their compensation by some small amount for each day of camp the player misses

100% of contracted commission if the player is signed by midnight of day before camp opens

Take off 5% of that commission at midnight

Take off an additional 5% every night at midnight (until the remainder reaches a minimum of 25%) until the player is signed AND is in camp

Agents should be required to drop their compensation by some small amount for each day of camp the player misses

100% of contracted commission is signed by midnight of day before camp opens

Take off an additional 5% every night at midnight (to a minimum of 25%) until the player is signed AND is in camp

I'm always befuddled by our annual holdout. The 5th and the 7th picks are signed. The #2 pick is a tackle and he has signed. Here we sit, bound to have the last holdout and I just don't understand why this is so damn difficult year in and year out.

I'm always befuddled by our annual holdout. The 5th and the 7th picks are signed. The #2 pick is a tackle and he has signed. Here we sit, bound to have the last holdout and I just don't understand why this is so damn difficult year in and year out.

3rd Pick is unsigned,4th pick is unsigned 8th picked is unsigned 10th pick is unsigned......people are overeacting no one had a problem with the time rivers missed (10 days) and by look things andre should be in sooner then that.

100% of contracted commission is signed by midnight of day before camp opens

Take off an additional 5% every night at midnight (to a minimum of 25%) until the player is signed AND is in camp

that would be a nice system because it seems like same agents are the ones with holdouts over and over.

Sometimes players can fool you. I remember last year when Rivers held out, some of us thought he'd hardly see the field, and when he did he'd stumble about. Instead, he came in, earned the starting spot, then played well until he received a cowardly cheap shot from that player who's name I hate to mention.