Bengals considered a top candidate to pursue Vick

icehole3

per rotoworld

/>http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=ATL

Jaguars.com writer Vic Ketchman doesn't buy rumors that Jacksonville might pursue free agent Mike Vick once he's reinstated to the NFL.

"I think theres a better chance they would sign me to play quarterback," Vic writes. The Jaguars, Bengals, and Raiders are currently considered the top candidates to pursue Vick, with the Ravens and Buccaneers longer shots.

Everybody Ok with this?

HappyWave.gif

per rotoworld

/>http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=ATL

Jaguars.com writer Vic Ketchman doesn't buy rumors that Jacksonville might pursue free agent Mike Vick once he's reinstated to the NFL.

"I think there’s a better chance they would sign me to play quarterback," Vic writes. The Jaguars, Bengals, and Raiders are currently considered the top candidates to pursue Vick, with the Ravens and Buccaneers longer shots.

Everybody Ok with this?

HappyWave.gif

I don't buy it. Vick as a Bengal would be a clear sign of trick plays... something Brat has never really taken advantage of.

I think it would be far more likely for the Vikings to grab him if Favre doesn't return. They would have the most impressive rushing offense maybe ever, with Peterson, Percy Harvin, and Vick.

I don't see it happening. I'm not even sure he'll get reinstated. If he does however, I don't know what team would take him. I see a huge backlash from the fan base of whatever team takes him.

I'm guessing were a top candidate cause we have a history of signing/drafting players with a criminal record (Hahahah <_< ).... I really don't think we'll sign him.

I don't see the Bengals signing him either, but I don't think there would be much fan backlash if we did. To tell you the truth, I think the guy should be reinstated. I think he's better than any backup we currently have, but I still don't see it when he could have a chance to go somewhere and have a shot at starting. No Favre in Minny equals Vick starting over those turds. Maybe not right away, but not far off either.

Well he is better than either of our backups. I could see the Bengals signing him as a knee-jerk reaction if they are still concerned about Palmer's elbow and the offensive line. Do I see any major backlash among the fanbase? Nah, not really. He'd probably come cheap. Fredo would probably get a soulmate out of the deal.

Problem is, as I type that sentence, do we open up a TO situation where, if Palmer were to not find Fredo as much as Fredo would like, would Fredo start Tweeting about how Vick should get a shot at starting? Not beyond the realm of possibilites given Fredo's empty brain-pan.

Anyway, I go with Kaz on the bs meter. We ain't signing Vick.

He's an Ok QB and a great backup QB in terms of talent. It would be insane to have him in reserve rather than some usual schlep. However, the dude has a target on his back, the whole torturing animals thing isn't the first time he's been a mental midget (although his most impressive episode) and is therefore hardly what this young, turning-over-a-new-leaf, team needs right now.

I won't lose any sleep if he signs but yeah, doubtful.

Now PFT is saying the report by ESPN that Vick will be reinstated and then suspended wasn't accurate and that the comish hasn't ruled on it yet.

What the f*ck is up with ESPN ?? Anyway, I still don't think the Bengals have interest in him. Just a gut feeling, nothing else.

It would be worth talking IF that unnamed author of that blurb on rotoworld had given anything approaching a reason as to why the Bengals would be considered a "top candidate" for signing Vick. As it stands, I can only assume that, whoever wrote that, thinks the Bengals are a "top candidate" because they have, in the past, had a lot of players with run-ins with the law. So therefore they MUST be a "top candidate", right?

Flat-line stupid logic.

Not a chance. At all. With the insane media storm that would hit this team there is no way even Mikey would be stupid enough to bring that on this team. I know he has a propensity to sign those "reformed" players, but not Vick. Do not see a snowballs chance.

Not a chance. At all. With the insane media storm that would hit this team there is no way even Mikey would be stupid enough to bring that on this team. I know he has a propensity to sign those "reformed" players, but not Vick. Do not see a snowballs chance.

Oh, come on. What better way to kick off a new season of 'Hard Knocks'?

Oh, come on. What better way to kick off a new season of 'Hard Knocks'?

That's an interesting point. Perhaps these rumors are being started by HBO.

I don't care what they say, JAX seems like a good fit. QB situation that ain't fantastic and a problem selling out the stadium. When you can't sell tickets, you want *any* publicity.

Besides, as mentioned many times, he needs to go to a place that at least has a starting QB, because he needs to be the Wildcat guy. I mean, I'm sure he throws almost as well as Ronnie Brown, right?

I would be very surprised if the Bengals went for Vick.

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I would bet that even after all that time off he is still better than J.T. or Jordan.

The way Brat doesn't have a clue as to how to short-term adjust a playbook to individual strengths/weaknesses, it would be worth the price of admission though to see Vick run around in the tiny phonebooth that is Brat's Carson-tailored offense.

Would Vick have been better than Fitzpatrick?

Someone will give Vick a shot. If the Bengals did, I would be pleasantly surprised.

That being said, I wouldn't have a problem with it because I would bet that even after all that time off he is still better than J.T. or Jordan.

The way Brat doesn't have a clue as to how to short-term adjust a playbook to individual strengths/weaknesses, it would be worth the price of admission though to see Vick run around in the tiny phonebooth that is Brat's Carson-tailored offense.

Someone will give Vick a shot. If the Bengals did, I would be pleasantly surprised.

They won't, would Vick be happy knowing he'll always be a back-up as long as Palmer is healthy here? He's still too valuable, he'll go somewhere where he can earn a big contract again as a starter, earned or not. It won't be here.

They won't, would Vick be happy knowing he'll always be a back-up as long as Palmer is healthy here? He's still too valuable, he'll go somewhere where he can earn a big contract again as a starter, earned or not. It won't be here.

That's pretty much the way I see it. Vick won't sign with anyone without a clear shot at landing the starting job, and with Cincinnati, that isn't the case.

I still think a vikings team not lead by Lord Favre would be an ideal place for Vick. Even if they do get Favre, how long would he be playing for and giving Vick another year on the roster behind him wouldn't be a bad thing either. Anyway, I don't really care where he goes, just saying...

I still think a vikings team not lead by Lord Favre would be an ideal place for Vick. Even if they do get Favre, how long would he be playing for and giving Vick another year on the roster behind him wouldn't be a bad thing either. Anyway, I don't really care where he goes, just saying...

I still don't see them signing him. Their roster is set and he doesn't fit the "Marvin" mold.