Bengals Make Trade: Orien Harris for Brian Leonard

mgilgris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. If Leonard's glass shoulders hold up, the Bengals could have a steal, but the last three seasons have cured me of "if he can stay healthy" disease.

Too bad about Harris, I liked him when he came out and loved when we picked him up, but in the end didn't do anything to knock my socks off.

I have no idea how this is going to work out with Leonard's injury history, but I'm not sure that I really care.

It's so nice to see the Bengals be aggressive in an offseason for once. It's not over-the-top, throw-your-money-down-the-drain aggressive. They simply seem to know who they want and how to go about getting them. How refreshing.

If nothing else, seeing the Bengals be aggressive for a change sure is nice. Keep trying to upgrade the roster and then try some more. Pick up a running back off waivers, then cut him a week later. Draft a running back, cut a vet RB that never did sh*t and then make a trade to bring yet another RB in the mix. We haven't seen anything like this type of aggression in quite some time. Very nice...

At one time in the 2007 season Leonard was a candidate for rookie of the year. Having gone through a rotator cuff surgery myself, I know he'll never be completely healed. The only thing I can see in this signing is maybe the transition to having more than 4 running backs on the roster with a fullback. 20 years ago, the dominance of our offensive line came from having talent to start, and quality backups to spell them without missing a beat.

Not sure if we have that yet, because we haven't seen what a healthy Cedric Benson could do with a full year as a starter .... here!! So maybe we keep 5 runningbacks ??? Dare I say we keep 6 and really make the commitment to running the ball like Marvin and Co. say they want ??? <_<<_<

I think the Rams are hooking up this offseason. First they pass on Rey and take Baby Animal and now they trade us a second round talent for a guy we were going to cut.

The thing that pisses me off is noone is giving us props for our offseason. Whatever, they will be all over our nuts when we make the playoffs next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4148617

I think the Rams are hooking up this offseason. First they pass on Rey and take Baby Animal and now they trade us a second round talent for a guy we were going to cut.

The thing that pisses me off is noone is giving us props for our offseason. Whatever, they will be all over our nuts when we make the playoffs next season.

under the radar, no hype to believe in, that is exactly what we need. marvin has talked implicitly about guys on the team starting to think they were owed something after 2005, we seemed to have purged the roster of those guys (with one exception). but even the one that's left will be quickly ostracized or forced to step in line if they are surrounded by blue collar guys who work for it.

I hope he passes on wearing #23 in Cincinnati, especially after the injuries. I'm still in disbelief that the Bengals got Leonard for Harris. If he's right, he's as good as a 3rd round pick in this year's draft, if not a 2nd. The other good news is that he's signed for the next 2 seasons, so the Bengals should be set at RB until 2011.

I think the 3 RBs will be Benson, Leonard and Scott, with a huge scrum at FB. Getting Leonard might affect Fui's chances of making the roster as a FB/RB tweener, but I guess we'll see.

under the radar, no hype to believe in, that is exactly what we need. marvin has talked implicitly about guys on the team starting to think they were owed something after 2005, we seemed to have purged the roster of those guys (with one exception). but even the one that's left will be quickly ostracized or forced to step in line if they are surrounded by blue collar guys who work for it.

What a great post.

OMG! Un-freakin-believe-able trade! Like it has been said, I liked Orien but he wasn't going to make the roster and we get a stud 2nd round RB that is an excellent compliment to Cedric and he was only available b/c of the coaching change that wants a different style of RB. Brian Leonard is a running back, the former regime that drafted him stupidly put him at FB just b/c he is a good blocker. This in no way affects Fui of making it or not, Brian Leonard is a RB! He gives us what Kenny Watson gave us and some. RBs: Cedric, Leapin' Leonard, Bernard Scott FBs: Jerermi Johnson(if he is healthy, if not his roster spot goes to Chris Pressley), Fui Vakapuna. I believe we carry 3 RBs and 2 FBs, Fui is not going to the P-Squad but Pressley will.

I missed that article there, so nice link. That being said, the freakin' Bears had a better offseason than us ?? :huh:

These moves are just unreal. I don't know how else to call it...

OMG! Un-freakin-believe-able trade! Like it has been said, I liked Orien but he wasn't going to make the roster and we get a stud 2nd round RB that is an excellent compliment to Cedric and he was only available b/c of the coaching change that wants a different style of RB. Brian Leonard is a running back, the former regime that drafted him stupidly put him at FB just b/c he is a good blocker. This in no way affects Fui of making it or not, Brian Leonard is a RB! He gives us what Kenny Watson gave us and some. RBs: Cedric, Leapin' Leonard, Bernard Scott FBs: Jerermi Johnson(if he is healthy, if not his roster spot goes to Chris Pressley), Fui Vakapuna. I believe we carry 3 RBs and 2 FBs, Fui is not going to the P-Squad but Pressley will.

I am pretty much done with Jeremi Johnson. I don't want the Bengals to have to worry every season if he is in shape for camp. I really like the idea of having 3 rbs and 2 fbs. That will make the short yardage situations that much easier, gives the Bengals personel flexibility, and also keeps players fresh throughout the season. I am so ready for football. All I want now is the Bengals to sign Rod Hood and let the domination begin.

I hope he passes on wearing #23 in Cincinnati, especially after the injuries.

Actually, it sounds rather fitting. There's no way the Rams would have given up on Leonard if they weren't concerned about his shoulders and his inability to play a true FB role. Plus, the Bengals told Leonard they see him primarily as a RB. So give him Perry's old number, if he wants it, and lets see if he can't shake the stink off it.

I think the 3 RBs will be Benson, Leonard and Scott, with a huge scrum at FB. Getting Leonard might affect Fui's chances of making the roster as a FB/RB tweener, but I guess we'll see.

I'm actually a little disappointed to hear the Bengals view Leonard primarily as a RB, but in their defense they don't seem very interested in the "Thor's Hammer" style of FB. In fact, I'd say they've indulged their inner Bratkowski by collecting a group of soft handed RB's who grew too big for that role....ala Jeremi Johnson.

I'm actually a little disappointed to hear the Bengals view Leonard primarily as a RB, but in their defense they don't seem very interested in the "Thor's Hammer" style of FB. In fact, I'd say they've indulged their inner Bratkowski by collecting a group of soft handed RB's who grew too big for that role....ala Jeremi Johnson.

Indeed, I wonder if they're considering going with Benson, Dorsey, Scott at RB with Leonard to "swing" between RB/FB and Fui as the pure FB.

Indeed, I wonder if they're considering going with Benson, Dorsey, Scott at RB with Leonard to "swing" between RB/FB and Fui as the pure FB.

I think Dorsey is done

Other than that, I think the concept you're going with here is right on the money

So plug in Kenny for one more year or one of the other PS types (J Johnson, Marlon Lucky, whoever performs best on special teams, probably) in place of Dorsey and I agree 100%

I think Dorsey is done

Other than that, I think the concept you're going with here is right on the money

So plug in Kenny for one more year or one of the other PS types (J Johnson, Marlon Lucky, whoever performs best on special teams, probably) in place of Dorsey and I agree 100%

Haven't heard much about Dorsey for awhile. I only used him as sort of a place holder since it seemed unweildy to type in Dorsey/Watson. There's not much to choose between in that particular spot anyway. I'd even be happy with Johnson who seemed to make a good case for himself. Have you heard anything about Dorsey being done, or is that just your gut at this point?