6th Round #2: Bernard Scott

ArmyBengal

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that his responses at the interview sounded very intelligent and mature, and for now, I'm gonna take that stance that he has turned it around.

I'm not overjoyed by this pick, but see the upside and hope things work out for the best. I compare it to the Jason Shirley pick from last year. Some issues, but tons of upside. Hopefully he will get the chance to develop more than Shirley has to this point.

In regards to the part of your post I quoted above, I agree, but found this answer to more a typical agent advised answer that almost any chimp could give in their sleep. I don't give it much credit whatsoever, but you never know...

Q: The drawback to you may be your off-field incidents. How do you feel those weighed down your draft stock?

BS: I cleared up the issues of my past. All of the mistakes I have made, I have learned from them. I have become a better person. I am ready to put all of that behind me and move forward and come to Cincinnati.

I was looking at this guys stats and was in shock by his game on Nov. 22. He rushed 19 times for 292 yards and 6 TD's and he also had 3 rec. for 61 yards and another TD. I know he was playing against scrubs but those numbers are crazy. It's hard to put up those numbers in highschool.

i don't think there is any down side to this selection. as many of you mentioned his production was out of this world, something like 90 td's in three years, that's pretty impressive no matter who you're playing against

I guess I'm alone in wanting to see him make the most of being drafted. He sounds like a kid who's learned the hard way and has taken his lumps. Incidents like what he went through shouldn't tarnish a person forever and deny them a chance to make good.

On another note, apparently he's broken a lot of Wilbert Montgomery's records in 2 years of play, that Wilbert took 4 years to set. That's what's impressive to me.

There's no doubt that he's going to be under the microscope and he knows that if he slips up once, he's gone. I still wish him luck, and hope that he makes the most of this opportunity to turn things around for himself.

Whats amazing about this guy is he don't dance and move lateral all that much. He is primarily a one cut and squeeze through a hole type of player. If and its a big if he stays out of trouble, he will instantly become our #1 returner. Something this team has lacked since we had a healthy Warrick.

I never understood the negativity to begin with. The Bengals have the bad name for players off the field issues and that will take a long time to change. If we took a guy like harvin in the first, I'd agree w/ the negativity. Harvin failed a drug test that he knew he had to take. This kid was taken w/ a low 6th rounder and hasn't been in trouble in 2 years. If he succeeds we get a Dante Hall type of returner and a good change of pace back and if he fails we lose a late 6th round pick that was given to us.

The media is going to talk s**t about the Bengals no matter what. They should be all over the Vikings for taken a player in the 1st who is already in the system for being a complete idiot. I'm tired of the Bengals bashing by the media. Seriously, we have one thug on our team in Henry and he seems like he is on the right track. Every other serious criminal has been cut. Henry would have been as well if he wasn't a good teammate on the field.

... and he knows that if he slips up once, he's gone.

One slip up and he's gone? Man, where do you think this dude is playing ball, the Naval Academy? If he can play, he can treat us all to a variety of slip ups before he'll be gone.

I'll say that he's in a difficult position. He has a history past history of problems, which I'm sure Goodell has taken note of. He also plays for the Bengals now, who Goodell loves to make an example out of.

It might not be one slip up and he's gone... but I'll bet you it's one slip up and he's suspended.

Reading his blog the fact he hasn't gotten in trouble for few years now I'm kinda glad we made the pick...Really seems like he has his head on strait now.

I don't know about the "few years" thing. I think he is currently serving an 18 month probation. More than a year, maybe. At this point I trust him about as much as I do Henry. In other words, I hope he's made a turn around, but if I wake up to find he's been arrested outside a club in the morning, I won't be terribly surprised.

I like the Scott pick too. He kind of reminds me of James Brooks, who was a man among men despite his small size. Anyway, Bernard was the greatest player in Div II for the past two years, has great skills and only cost a chickens**t compensatory 6th. He's stayed out of trouble for a few years now (he is finishing up his probation period for offenses that I believe took place in 2005 or 2006) and seems to have got his act together. I was really impressed by the You Tube video of his all-star game in Texas as well as the messages of support on his website. More generally, I have to say that one of the things I've really come to appreciate about the Bengals is their nonsanctimonious willingness to give guys like Bernard Scott a chance to redeem themselves. I'm so not down with the caterwauling jerks in the media and elsewhere who continuously lambast the Bengals as a refuge for miscreants. Moreover, I don't think its true at all. As long as a guy like Scott doesn't backslide and start to break bad once he is a Bengal, I'm all for redemption. (Of course, I'm one of the apparent few who have always liked Chris Henry, and this despite the fact he committed his first mini-crime spree while wearing his Bengals jersey.)Anyway, I am 100% behind the Bernard Scott experiment and really hope we have something to cheer about this fall.

After reading his blog, man people can be so cruel. Those stats are amazing, and it looks like he can catch the football also, so maybe we can get this screen thing going. I hope he keeps his mind on football this guy will be a steal in the draft and i cant wait to see him run.

I like the Scott pick too. He kind of reminds me of James Brooks, who was a man among men despite his small size. Anyway, Bernard was the greatest player in Div II for the past two years, has great skills and only cost a chickens**t compensatory 6th. He's stayed out of trouble for a few years now (he is finishing up his probation period for offenses that I believe took place in 2005 or 2006) and seems to have got his act together. I was really impressed by the You Tube video of his all-star game in Texas as well as the messages of support on his website. More generally, I have to say that one of the things I've really come to appreciate about the Bengals is their nonsanctimonious willingness to give guys like Bernard Scott a chance to redeem themselves. I'm so not down with the caterwauling jerks in the media and elsewhere who continuously lambast the Bengals as a refuge for miscreants. Moreover, I don't think its true at all. As long as a guy like Scott doesn't backslide and start to break bad once he is a Bengal, I'm all for redemption. (Of course, I'm one of the apparent few who have always liked Chris Henry, and this despite the fact he committed his first mini-crime spree while wearing his Bengals jersey.)Anyway, I am 100% behind the Bernard Scott experiment and really hope we have something to cheer about this fall.

Nicely said, and I completely agree.

He's a 2nd round talent we got at the end of the 6th round. I think he has a chance to be special and he might end up playing more next season than any player we drafted, outside of Huber.

Pretty remarkable.

What other LATE 6th round draft pick could generate MORE discussion than ALL other draft picks made, including a 1st round pick that was selected 6th overall OR a 2nd round pick thought by many to be the biggest draft steal the Bengals have ever made. Or how about a 3rd round pick once thought of as a likely 1st rounder? And that new center who will soon attempt to fill a position that had garnered more pre-draft debate than any other? He might as well be invisible now.

:huh:

Pretty remarkable.

What other LATE 6th round draft pick could generate MORE discussion than ALL other draft picks made, including a 1st round pick that was selected 6th overall OR a 2nd round pick thought by many to be the biggest draft steal the Bengals have ever made. Or how about a 3rd round pick once thought of as a likely 1st rounder? And that new center who will soon attempt to fill a position that had garnered more pre-draft debate than any other? He might as well be invisible now.

I think it can be viewed as folks realizing the value ratio.

From his small-school stats and ability, Scott could have been a r2 pick.

A. Smith was r1 material taken in r1

Rey was r1 material, taken in r2

Johnson was r1 ability taken in r3

Coffman was r2 ability taken in r3

Luigs was r4 material taken in r4

Scott was r2 material taken in r6...

I think it is also a function of people feeling confident enough in the drafted players at the top, almost a sense of relief, that they now hone in on how Scott could be a serious gem of a player if he stays "honest".

Pretty remarkable.

I think it can be viewed as folks realizing the value ratio.

From his small-school stats and ability, Scott could have been a r2 pick.

A. Smith was r1 material taken in r1

Rey was r1 material, taken in r2

Johnson was r1 ability taken in r3

Coffman was r2 ability taken in r3

Luigs was r4 material taken in r4

Scott was r2 material taken in r6...

I think it is also a function of people feeling confident enough in the drafted players at the top, almost a sense of relief, that they now hone in on how Scott could be a serious gem of a player if he stays "honest".

Well said.

Not trying be a homer but sounds like if Coffman had not been injured he should have been first TE selected....He's had more production then most TE's I've seen come out the past few years...More then Vernon the workout warrior or Pettigrew ....So makes me wonder had he not had a foot injury would he have been the first TE taken?

Pettigrew 1,400 4 seasons

Shawn Nelson 2,054 4 seasons

Chase Coffman 2,659 4 seasons

Jared Cook 1,107 3 seasons

Just seems like he's trumped other TE's by alot