Anyone else not want to take an offensive tackle at 6?

cHaD711Johnson

I am absolutely against taking a tackle at this spot. I would love to add more firepower to our offense with a great MLB such as Rey Maualuga. I thinyk the draft will be O-Line heavy and we can find good players at spots in the 2nd and 3rd round. Steinbach and Whitworth both weren't 1st round draft picks. I hate the idea of taking a OT at #6.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the way the D finished the season, I think that all they would need is a good pash rushing DE, and would love to go that way, but I know they do need someone to protect CPalmer, so it is understandable if they want an OLman...

I am absolutely against taking a tackle at this spot. I would love to add more firepower to our offense with a great MLB such as Rey Maualuga. I thinyk the draft will be O-Line heavy and we can find good players at spots in the 2nd and 3rd round. Steinbach and Whitworth both weren't 1st round draft picks. I hate the idea of taking a OT at #6.

I am almost in total agreeance with you. Great franchises know how to draft Linemen later in the draft. Look at the Colts, they needed a Guard and I think they got him in the fourth or fifth round. We got Whitworth in the second round and Collins in the 4th.

We need to get one more linebacker and we will be set. I wouldn't mind taking Laurenitis or that guy from Wake Forest. I have said for months now that we need to do whatever we can to get Haynesworth.

Well yeah if there's a cant-miss DE, LB or DT there, then who knows, but I'm fine with an OT or any o-lineman on day one (more than one preferably).

Not feeling really good about the offense scoring no more than one TD a game (literally) in every game except one Fitz started this year though.

They need a couple of upgrades on the o-line in the worst way (including a blocking TE as Kelly is declining rapidly).

At #6 they have to draft skill positions like 340 pound men that have agility of basketball players. So LT is ok. Especially when your QB was killed due to lousy line play. Especially since neither Steinbach or Whitworth are Left Tackles or Right Tackles. LT and RT are premium positions worth a #6 slot. As is RB, QB, ILB, CB, WR.

At #6 they have to draft skill positions like 340 pound men that have agility of basketball players. So LT is ok. Especially when your QB was killed due to lousy line play. Especially since neither Steinbach or Whitworth are Left Tackles or Right Tackles. LT and RT are premium positions worth a #6 slot. As is RB, QB, ILB, CB, WR.

I think that we can find talented lineman after the first round also. I would much rather add Maualuga than Oher. Rivers and Maualuga together would be nasty.

The colts offensive line is pretty pathetic as well. Peyton has a quick trigger and knows how to work the pocket. Their lineman can't open up a whole for their RB and Manning was pressured alot more this year compared to others. It's very hard to find a premiere LT outside of the 1st. I'm not saying it can't be done but the odds are against u.

I am absolutely against taking a tackle at this spot. I would love to add more firepower to our [defense] with a great MLB such as Rey Maualuga.

I'm with you in spirit, but I can't bring myself to hate the idea of adding a much needed offensive lineman. It just makes too much sense. But I'm not married to the idea and can make a pretty good argument for taking BPA at #6 regardless of position.

you must also hate the ideal of having a running game and a passing game. keep in mind that whit and steinbach do not play LT. the bengals moved whit to gaurd for a reason.

We all would love that 100% can't miss pick that would put the Bengals over the top. Offensive Tackle is not a sexy pick, but with the current state of affairs it is the best overall idea. I am hoping that at 6, there will be a team who desperately want to trade up to 6 for and give the Bengals an extra #2 pick. If the Bengals could get an extra 2nd rounder, then I would say hold off to the 2nd round for the tackle and center and take the flash. However, if the Bengals can not get another 2, then having a big guy to protect Carson's blind side would be great.

I'm personally fine with taking an OL, but also would be fine with taking a RB as ours suck; I would also be fine with taking the BPA. Unfortunately it seems like almost every year we need help all over the place.

There are so many holes, they just need to not reach for anybody and Im fine with whoever, this team like Housch said needs a lot of help in all areas

I think people are too quick to give up on Anthony Collins. Once he took over at LT, the pass blocking got significantly improved, and this guy shut down James Harrison.

While I would be happy with Oher, I'd like to see them stick with Collins at LT, move Whitworth to RT, let Nate Livings take over at LG, draft Rey Rey. and draft for depth on the o-line.

I think Free Agency will land us a good O-lineman... If Rey Maualuga is available at 6, the Bengals will grab him. This guy is a Shaun Merriman, instant-impact, playmaker. Pair him with Rivers and I'll finally be able to forget we were ever blessed with an Odell Thurman...

s**t what if Odell gets reinstated, haha. You know SOP will give him another chance. Rivers, Maualuga, Thurman (in '05 form). Jesus H that would be ridiculous.

I think people are too quick to give up on Anthony Collins. Once he took over at LT, the pass blocking got significantly improved, and this guy shut down James Harrison.

While I would be happy with Oher, I'd like to see them stick with Collins at LT, move Whitworth to RT, let Nate Livings take over at LG, draft Rey Rey. and draft for depth on the o-line.

I'm not giving up on Collins, I want a bookend for him. Leave Whitworth at G, get on with life. Block the occasional person.

ETA: Get a C at the top of 2nd or 3rd round to go with him. Block even more people. Control the line of scrimmage, win games.

I'm not giving up on Collins, I want a bookend for him. Leave Whitworth at G, get on with life. Block the occasional person.

Stacy gone for next year, imho.

Levi Jones is not reliable anymore, probably done.

Eric G is a free agent and likely done in Cincinnati.

Those are 3 out of 5 linemen who started and will be gone in 2009.

The story for 2008 was: Couldn't pass, run or pass protect nor protect the 100 million dollar franchise QB.

Its inconceivable to me not getting a LT at number 6.

Its inconceivable not getting a center in the second round, especially since this draft evidently is blessed with some good ones.

The line needs depth as well as versatility, don't forget that and as of now, they are not NFL caliber in either.

The poor line play gave the Bengals no chance to win. Fix it and things will get better. Ignore 2 of the 4 wins, Cleveland and KC were meaningless as they are awful teams. The Redskins and Jax wins were the only quality wins and they got them with a good running game while keeping the other side from having one of their own.

Stacy gone for next year, imho.

Levi Jones is not reliable anymore, probably done.

Eric G is a free agent and likely done in Cincinnati.

Those are 3 out of 5 linemen who started and will be gone in 2009.

The story for 2008 was: Couldn't pass, run or pass protect nor protect the 100 million dollar franchise QB.

Its inconceivable to me not getting a LT at number 6.

Its inconceivable not getting a center in the second round, especially since this draft evidently is blessed with some good ones.

The line needs depth as well as versatility, don't forget that and as of now, they are not NFL caliber in either.

The poor line play gave the Bengals no chance to win. Fix it and things will get better. Ignore 2 of the 4 wins, Cleveland and KC were meaningless as they are awful teams. The Redskins and Jax wins were the only quality wins and they got them with a good running game while keeping the other side from having one of their own.

Agreed. You win the game in the trenches, which means we need maulers on the offensive and defensive side of the ball Get as many maulers as you can

BTW, congrats to Big Willie

If Rey Maualuga is available at 6,

We don't see many USC games here in Ohio, so I can't comment on Maualuga. But I think I read something a while back that said his stock was dropping pretty far, and that he could be a late first round pick. Anyone hear something similar?

it absolutely amazes me that their are ppl who do not understand how important the o-line is. the 3 most important position on offense are, LEFT TACKLE, CENTER, AND QUATERBACK. well guess what we suck at 2 of the 3. if the bengals ignore LT it will be the biggest mistake to add to many, that this team has made.

Seconded. I think people tend to forget that Collins was a pretty highly rated prospect coming out. NFL Draft Scout had him ranked 8th overall among tackles and SI projected him to go early in the second. That he was there in the fourth had more to do with last April being rich in OTs and his status as a junior. He wasn't as highly polished as the seniors, and if he'd stayed and continued to play well, he could have been a first-round selection next April.

We don't see many USC games here in Ohio, so I can't comment on Maualuga. But I think I read something a while back that said his stock was dropping pretty far, and that he could be a late first round pick. Anyone hear something similar?

I've got some serious problems with the rankings at DraftScout (Oher 1st overall?) but they did just update their board and Maualuga is holding steady at #7. In fact, the only player to slip badly is Andre Smith to #8, a slide I'd guess is just a temporary reaction to Smith missing his bowl game. Eugene Monroe jumped slightly to #5.

BTW, our boy Peria Jerry made the biggest leap of all, rising to #12. Previously he had been ranked as a borderline 1st or early 2nd rounder.

Seconded. I think people tend to forget that Collins was a pretty highly rated prospect coming out. NFL Draft Scout had him ranked 8th overall among tackles and SI projected him to go early in the second. That he was there in the fourth had more to do with last April being rich in OTs and his status as a junior. He wasn't as highly polished as the seniors, and if he'd stayed and continued to play well, he could have been a first-round selection next April.

Maybe, but I doubt it. I don't think it's not all about polish with him. I don't see him ever having the quickness to hold off a Freeney type. Some technique could help... but he's not going to be elite. This scouting report from last year tells a lot about why I don't think he should be the starting LT.

Pass Blocking: Plays on his toes too much. Not great lateral quickness. Not a great slide in protection. May be best inside at guard. Struggled against Missouri when defenders crossed his face. May struggle with quick rushers because of his own mobility.

I just think if Collins is going to be a starter for this team, it will either be at guard or RT. The Bengals need a top tier guy at LT, and Collins isn't it.