Benson shows why team wants him back

Ox

Benson shows why team wants him back

By Chick Ludwig | Monday, December 15, 2008, 12:47 AM

FAST, STRONG AND SMOOTH,

BENSON DESERVES NEW DEAL

Cincinnati Bengals tailback Cedric Benson called the victory over the Washington Redskins a sign of things to come in 2009.

“We don’t have any playoff hopes,” he said, “so you’re working to propel us into next season. We’ve shown so many good signs at times. It’s kind of a sneak peek at what we can be.”

Benson, operating on a one-year contract, showed why the club wants him back next season.

He put his versatility on display, rolling up 161 all-purpose yards (73 rushing, 88 receiving), including a 79-yard screen pass from QB Ryan Fitzpatrick in which he followed his blockers, darted through traffic and accelerated down the sideline.

Benson runs with passion, showing excellent vision and contact balance on runs between the tackles as he plows through the line of scrimmage.

He has the ability to make the first defender miss with shifty, powerful moves.

He breaks arm tackles, has quick acceleration and finishes his runs with a good body lean that keeps his momentum going forward as he fights for extra yards after first contact.

Elsewhere, WLB Brandon Johnson was injured at 10:32 of the fourth quarter when he suffered a blow to the head, but he returned to the game and tied FS Chris Crocker for team-high honors with 10 tackles.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...m_wants_hi.html

For this team, there will be many guys playing their last 2 games as Cincy Bengals. Benson is probably one of them. With his conduct and performance this year he'll get some nice offers, deservedly too. But he's a guy that is a goof under long term deals and the Bengals don't know how to handle guys like him. If they could keep him with a 2 or 3 year deal with little guaranteed money but lots of incentives, sure good idea. I don't think that will happen though.

For this team, there will be many guys playing their last 2 games as Cincy Bengals. Benson is probably one of them. With his conduct and performance this year he'll get some nice offers, deservedly too. But he's a guy that is a goof under long term deals and the Bengals don't know how to handle guys like him. If they could keep him with a 2 or 3 year deal with little guaranteed money but lots of incentives, sure good idea. I don't think that will happen though.

Yeah, I expect that the offseason will be just about as much of a wreck as the season. They'll keep Chad and franchise TJ, more out of inertia than any kind of clue what they're doing, then try but fail to sign a bunch of guys like Andrews, Benson, Graham and Blackstock who will be FAs in March. Possibly Crocker and Brandon Johnson are in that group, not sure how long they signed on for. But no one is going to want to re-up without testing free agency unless the Bengals overpay, which they don't (and for some of these guys shouldn't) do.

So...some we'll get back by late March, some will sign elsewhere...again, no plan, just pretty much "any way the wind blows" with the April draft then counted on to fill in the blanks. And of course with Benson likely among the "elsewhere" group, one of those blanks will be RB. If he's smart Beanie Wells will move to Canada.

Yeah, I expect that the offseason will be just about as much of a wreck as the season. They'll keep Chad and franchise TJ, more out of inertia than any kind of clue what they're doing, then try but fail to sign a bunch of guys like Andrews, Benson, Graham and Blackstock who will be FAs in March. Possibly Crocker and Brandon Johnson are in that group, not sure how long they signed on for. But no one is going to want to re-up without testing free agency unless the Bengals overpay, which they don't (and for some of these guys shouldn't) do.

So...some we'll get back by late March, some will sign elsewhere...again, no plan, just pretty much "any way the wind blows" with the April draft then counted on to fill in the blanks. And of course with Benson likely among the "elsewhere" group, one of those blanks will be RB. If he's smart Beanie Wells will move to Canada.

I'm not sure. I don't think Benson's body of work this year enables anybody to take the long term gamble on him just yet, which will prompt us to re-sign him to a one year deal, where he will figure out a way to rack up 1,400 yards and six td's, prompting him to go elsewhere in 2010.

Or, in the alternative, the Bengals let TJ go, sign Benson to a monster seven year contract, continue to neglect the O line because they gave him all the money, he blows out his knee in preseason and never plays another down.

One of the two will happen, at least if my understanding of Bengals history is correct.

I personally like benson. I am not ready to put him in the hall of fame, but I think he would do nice behind a good O line. I would offer him a nice (not break the bank) 3 year contract. I really do believe that behind a better line he will turn out to be a great pick up given time.

Or, in the alternative, the Bengals let TJ go, sign Benson to a monster seven year contract, continue to neglect the O line because they gave him all the money, he blows out his knee in preseason and never plays another down.

The sad thing is, were that to happen, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Possibly Crocker and Brandon Johnson are in that group, not sure how long they signed on for.

Those are two of the only 5 guys I want to actually see back on D next year; if Mikey lets either of them go I will personally hunt him down and kick him in the nuts.

Johnson was a 1-year deal per teh google. Reports about Crocker don't say but I bet that doesn't go beyond this year either...

Possibly Crocker and Brandon Johnson are in that group, not sure how long they signed on for.

Those are two of the only 5 guys I want to actually see back on D next year; if Mikey lets either of them go I will personally hunt him down and kick him in the nuts.

Johnson was a 1-year deal per teh google. Reports about Crocker don't say but I bet that doesn't go beyond this year either...

Uh oh, I'm starting to feel the anger! ;) Both those guys were fantastic this year, and about the only thing worth remembering on D. Crocker was absolutely flying yesterday.

This is where Marvin - assuming he can recognize talent - needs to go to Mikey and tell him "no, really, keep these guys!".

I'm at least somewhat hopeful that locking these guys up appeals to Mikey's sense of cheap, since they'd be less costly than the alternative. I believe we re-signed Dhani Jones under similar circumstances, correct?

I'm at least somewhat hopeful that locking these guys up appeals to Mikey's sense of cheap, since they'd be less costly than the alternative. I believe we re-signed Dhani Jones under similar circumstances, correct?

Yup. But Dhani took a look at the market first too and I'm sure these guys will as well.

Yup. But Dhani took a look at the market first too and I'm sure these guys will as well.

And this is where using some of that $10M would have made sense around the 10th game of the season. Give those guys the opportunity to re-up during the year before they hit FA instead of rolling the dice that they don't get hurt over the next 6 games. Might have been attractive to a guy making league minimum.

I'm still at least hopeful they'll match. This isn't like letting Tory James or Brian Simmons walk, Johnson and Crocker are good.

I would be all for signing Benson for 2-3 years, as it would be a move with very little downside.

The RB positon is one in shambles:

Perry - gone

Watson - could hang around. I suppose.

Dorsey - not very durable so far, could be gone.

James Johnson - I liked what I saw in preseason but need to see more.

That leaves this team with a bare cupboard at the RB position.

Benson is a good option. If the line would block proper, he can run the ball damn hard.

Now, if I were Benson, I'd shop my wares to places like Jax, TB, KC, or anywhere but here.

You guys have to stop drinking the Bengals Kool-aid..... After Every win, career bums like Johnson and Crocker all of a sudden look like keepers!!

Crocker couldn't keep his starting job in Atlanta or Cleveland, nor is he a better strong safety over Chinedum Ndukwe. He is a quality backup. And I would welcome him back over Katie & Co. offering Dexter Jackson more money!

Finally our 2009 roster could be rid of worthless players like ......

Dexter Jackson

John Thornton

Corey Mays - play at the goal line or not !!

John Busing

Antonio Chatman

Guys I would welcome back

1. Jamar Fletcher - he's been pretty solid

2. Crocker - In a backup role, he's worth a roster spot

3. Nate Livings, - Wasn't sure what he would do starting, but he's played well. Worth a backup spot.

Let's Keep Focused Fellas!!

Crocker couldn't keep his starting job in Atlanta or Cleveland, nor is he a better strong safety over Chinedum Ndukwe. He is a quality backup. And I would welcome him back over Katie & Co. offering Dexter Jackson more money!

All's I know is what I see, but what I saw was good. Sometimes guys don't get a real chance. Especially Brandon Johnson, this is the first time he got real playing time.

I'll take Dookie back when he's healthy, but Crocker has a place on the team. More than anything, I like the effort he plays with. Oh, and he blew Santurdio Holmes the hell up, so there's that too.

And yeah, anything beats Dexter Jackson. I still have flashbacks to last year when he whiffed on Toothlessburger in the end zone for what should have been a safety. I really wish the Bengals would stop signing "second banana" types who looked decent because they were on a good defense. Like Jackson. And I'm looking at you too, Odom.

You guys have to stop drinking the Bengals Kool-aid..... After Every win, career bums like Johnson and Crocker all of a sudden look like keepers!!

Finally our 2009 roster could be rid of worthless players like ......

Dexter Jackson

John Thornton

Corey Mays - play at the goal line or not !!

John Busing

Antonio Chatman

Guys I would welcome back

1. Jamar Fletcher - he's been pretty solid

2. Crocker - In a backup role, he's worth a roster spot

3. Nate Livings, - Wasn't sure what he would do starting, but he's played well. Worth a backup spot.

Let's Keep Focused Fellas!!

Doesn't matter if he's a better strong safety than Ndukwe since he is a free safety. He will be competing with Marvin White for that spot, and since White will be recovering from an ACL tear, he proabably will be starting. Crocker was highly regarded coming out of college and pretty highly drafted for a safety. He has talent. Don't care what happened in Cleveland or Miami. There are plenty of players who develop into outstanding players a few years into their career. Hell, James Harrison was playing in NFL Europe I believe. Adalius Thomas spent years as a special teams guy.

After watching Benson in the game this week , I had planned on posting my take (or scouting report) or the guy anyway.

Benson had one of his better games this week .

The thing that stuck out the most about Benson is that he has no vision, he is the kind of guy that will run to where hole is susposed to be.

If the hole is there,he will hit it and make a decent run.

When the hole is not there, rather than bounce the run to the outside and bust a big run or even take another hole (if one is there) he just tries to force the ball to where the hole is susposed to be.

This is something that Corey Dillon used to do that drove me mad.

It has alot to do with heart and alot to do with vision.

Ickey Woods made a carrer out of the cutback run that I am speaking about, I am sure that Benson is much faster than Ickey but, either does not have the vision or the heart to make the same kinds of runs.

My take on Benson is that he would be a decent #2 RB but , I would not hang the fate of my running game on him.

I would hear players talk about the way that they would shut down Corey Dillon was to hit him in the mouth the first couple of series and Dillon was shut down for the rest of the day because, if every thing was not going perfect for Dillon, he just half-a$$ed it the rest of the day.

Thats my take on Benson, the same kind of attitude with less talent than Dillon.

When Benson has big holes to run through he makes a decent run, so would most running backs, the problem is , when things dont go well how much are you going to get out of him.

We already know that Benson was an attitude problem at the Bears,so much so that gave up on him even though they had invested a #1 pick on him.

There were reports that the majority of the team cheered when they got rid of him , that says alot to me.

I would only sigh Benson (as a #2RB)at bottom dollar and with a contract that made it easy to cut him.

I doubt that any other team in the NFL is that interested in him and I am not sure you couldnt get a better player in the undrafted free agents from the next draft.

Good prediction/summary of the "whatever falls into our laps" off-season non-plan strategy by the crack Bengals' front office staff. All 4 or 5 of them.