Time for a change at QB?

jjakq27

If Carson is unable to come back this season, does anyone else think that Jordan should be given a chance to start a game?

We are obviously not going to run the table and go 8-8 so at this point I think it might be worth giving him a chance to start a game like the Cleveland or KC game. What do we have to lose? Another game? At least he can launch it down the field beyond 30 yards.

To me this is now open tryout season. We've seen a few of the younger guys and new free agents but it is time to give Jordan a chance to see if he is worth keeping around next year. I think Fitzie has already shown us what he can do. :rolleyes: I liken him to Jon Kitna-lite.

If Carson is unable to come back this season, does anyone else think that Jordan should be given a chance to start a game?

We are obviously not going to run the table and go 8-8 so at this point I think it might be worth giving him a chance to start a game like the Cleveland or KC game. What do we have to lose? Another game? At least he can launch it down the field beyond 30 yards.

To me this is now open tryout season. We've seen a few of the younger guys and new free agents but it is time to give Jordan a chance to see if he is worth keeping around next year. I think Fitzie has already shown us what he can do. :rolleyes: I liken him to Jon Kitna-lite.

I don't see JP surviving, let alone, winning a game. Fitz is the best they got at this point. I would think that in the remaining games, there is sure to be a blow out and that is JP time, midway in the 3rd qtr or to start the 4th. Against the backups.

I would like to see much more of Simpson, Caldwell, Shirley, Sims, AC, Crummy in more featured roles than JP.

My feelings haven't changed....yet.

However, I do wonder now how I'll feel if Fitzpatrick is as inaccurate as he was against Pittsburgh in the coming weeks. In short, I can do without the cannon as long as the popgun is aimed correctly.

But if you want it again in nutshell form then here it is. I don't think you're going to be able to judge anything, from coaches to players to gameplans, if you put Jordan Palmer under center now. In fact, under these circumstances you wouldn't even be able to judge the performance of Jordan Palmer.

I've been saying this for the past few weeks. Fitzpatrick and his by far NFL low of 4.9 yards per attempt is just ridiculous....

I would like to see much more of Simpson, Caldwell, Shirley, Sims, AC, Crummy in more featured roles than JP.

I would like to see more of Simpson and Caldwell to, HOWEVER, how can you truly evaluate them if all they are doing is catching 5-7 yard passes? Get someone in there (Jordan, or Rowe from practice squad) who can get them the ball downfield. While raw, Simpson has a lot of athletic ability, but you'll never see it on 7 yard curls, or 5 yard slants. Just like Henry's speed is wated with Fitzpatrick at QB.

My feelings haven't changed....yet.

However, I do wonder now how I'll feel if Fitzpatrick is as inaccurate as he was against Pittsburgh in the coming weeks. In short, I can do without the cannon as long as the popgun is aimed correctly.

Never underestimate the "cannon". That's what will help open up the running game as well, by having the defenders play deeper, and the safties back. The "popgun" scares and backs off nobody. We wont be able to run the bal, or at least break off any long ones because everybody is right there in the middle of the crowded field.....The cannon backs the defenders up, allows for maybe some deep passes, but also frees up some running room if the back gets past the first line of defense.....

The "popgun" scares and backs off nobody.

Do you really think NFL defenses are scared of Jordan Palmer? Please. Defenses won't back off a single step if he's under center. Instead, ears will be laid back, teeth will be bared, and dogs large and small will be unleashed.

Fitzpatrick doesn't need a cannon to produce a 200 or 250 yard passing game, but he does need better accuracy than he showed against the Steelers. Granted, he's had almost no opportunity to develope any timing with players like Holt or Caldwell, but Fitzpatrick was missing them badly.....either because the wrong route was run or simply because Fitzpatrick was misfiring. (I lean towards the latter.)

as a starter? no. but, definitely get the boy some snaps in a blow-out situation. the thursday night game is just another 'classice' example of how the bengals lose according to their own textbook, regardless of who's wearing the jersey.

the only way i'd give jordan any significant snaps is if i planned on dumping fitz after this season. were it me, and thank gawd it's not, jordan's playing time would depend on what i had planned for next season.

honestly, i think it's more out of curiousity to see him play than using reason and logic. tell me true, would anyone even care were it not carson's brother instead of just some third stringer no-name?

but, yeah, i'm curious, too. in the end, though, if jordan does turn out to be a great QB, all that promises is a QB controversy and the bengals have just trained their competition. he'd be gone on to greener pastures while a few years pass and carson's career winds down. i've said it before, if JP is destined to be a great QB then the bengals never should have picked him up ~ let the other guys groom him. what, if anything, is cincy grooming him to be, anyway?

either because the wrong route was run or simply because Fitzpatrick was misfiring. (I lean towards the latter.)

Not sure why. Yeah, he had some bad throws, particularly that miss of a wide-open Housh, but he had some tough breaks as well. Last night was the first time all year Fitz has been under 60% completions -- and give him those two perfect passes Holt dropped and he's 0.45% short of that mark again. That's a pretty good number considering the pressure he's constantly under.

"What's all this talk about Fitzy not playing well? He's playing great! We support him 100%" (chant begins,) "Fitzy! Fitzy! Fitzy!" - Jordan Palmer and Jeff Rowe.

You got that right. Those boys are happy to be getting a paycheck, call themselves NFL players, and not have to deal with this dreck of a season.

What's the point of having a backup if the guy isn't capable of throwing the ball beyond a 10 yard comeback or a shallow cross? I am not advocating Jordan because he's is Carson's brother either. I'd just like to know if the guy is worth keeping around and has any upside for the future. And for the short term I'd like someone in there that is tall enough to see over the line, has a throwing range farther than 30 yards and can consistently hit moving targets on short crosses or screens. I am sorry but RF is just not NFL-worthy.

It's time to empty the cupboard and see what's left.

You could argue both sides of this one.

If you want to see the young WR's get time playing, wouldn't it actually HELP them to have a QB who has been getting all the reps in practice as well as ALL of the games as opposed to someone who has been watching throwing to them ?? I mean will it do any good to try to develop them with someone who is further behind than they are ?? I think if we want to empty the closet with WR's, then we should keep Fitz in there.

I would also say if you want to develop Jordan, give him the experienced WR's to throw to that would actually build his confidence. I can't see much that can be gained having EVERYONE trying to develop at the same time. Give him some time in the 4th quarter IF the situation dictates, but other than that, I think there are greater positions to be concerned with in figuring out...

How can some of you guys say J Palmer doesn't have what it takes to start or make things happen? We haven't seen him this year. In pre-season all that they let him do was hand off. You guys trust the judgement of these coaches (playing Fitz over Jordan)? Where has that gotten us? That's right, no where. So give Palmer a chance. Can't hurt anything. Season is already over and now we're playing for a draft pick. Detroit has the number one selection loceked in. We should have number 3 or 4 unless we start to win at the end of the season.

I also say, sit Chad the rest of the season. He hasn't done anything this year for us. TJ has been doing most of the work!

Once again, my opinion isn't that Jordan CAN'T make it happen, it's the question of what are we trying to accomplish ?? Is it more important to develope our young WR's that Carson will be throwing to next season or our 3rd string QB ?? If the answer is Jordan, then Chad and TJ start and play as much as possible to attempt to lessen any blows to his confidence that an unknown rookie WR may provide...

If it's the young WR's, then we wait and see about Jordan some other time and let the most experienced QB work the young WR's.

Then again, who the hell knows with this team ???

sitting chad out isn't going to help, will it? that is, if the bengals want anything substantial in exchange for him, keeping him benched and locking him out of getting *any* numbers won't help impress an interested team, eh? he may be a lot of things, but a bum ain't one of 'em. it's his past performances that a team will want, but they'll have to exclude this year. you hope a potential team may actually look the other way on his stats this year, but were i interested in snagging him, i'd definitely point to this year (knowing it's hardly his fault), his age, his attitude... and get him for way less than he's worth than if he picks his ass back up this year (if 'they' will let him and fitz deigns to pitch him more balls *and* he makes good plays). you tell me, though, would it even matter if he finished the season strong? i say it wouldn't hurt.

i doubt JP will develop into much of anything with five games left. and, again, what if he turns out to be spectacular? carson has got too many years left in his career for a starter QB to sit and wait for his chance to take over. imo, they still need to give him some snaps.

all things considered, i think fitz makes for a solid back-up. not a starter by any means, but i'd let him finish the year out and keep him around. i think he's just as good as some starters playing this season. grossman, anderson, kitna and based on watching mcnabb, he was hardly impressive... i think in a fair fight fitz could hold his own. that is if the bengals could rise to the occasion for more than 32 minutes a game.

i'm not making any apologizes for him. i think he's a doof with a head shaped like a peanut, and it may not have been the best of ways to initiate him, but, hey, when handed lemons you use them as garnish at the next harvard reunion. but, as a back-up i think he fills in nicely and it's to his and the team's benefit to let him finish to the bitter end.

i never said JP doesn't have what it takes to make things happen because i honestly don't know. all i said is this discussion wouldn't exist were it not carson's brother, so i guess you can read something into that that's not *my* intention, but may be the core of someone else's sentiment. if he's potentially as good as his brother, you get a controversy, one in which JP is the one likely to get out of dodge, and then where will the bengals be? like i said, if JP is destined to be a great QB the bengals never should have taken him on ~ they've already got a great QB and, despite what most people pin on him, i think fitz is a (barely) keepable back-up.

all things considered, i think fitz makes for a solid back-up. not a starter by any means, but i'd let him finish the year out and keep him around. i think he's just as good as some starters playing this season. grossman, anderson, kitna and based on watching mcnabb, he was hardly impressive... i think in a fair fight fitz could hold his own. that is if the bengals could rise to the occasion for more than 32 minutes a game.

Agreed. Fitzpatrick is not the problem. Hell, this team went 0-4 with a Pro Bowl QB at the helm early in the year, a fact that seems to have vanished down the memory hole. If they put in Jordan now, the only thing he would end up learning is what it's like to end the season leading the league in sacks even though you only played six games.

The Bengals need a better QB less than they need (in no particular order) a better center, left tackle, right tackle, fullback, running back, change-of-pace back, and No. 1 wideout.

sitting chad out isn't going to help, will it? that is, if the bengals want anything substantial in exchange for him, keeping him benched and locking him out of getting *any* numbers won't help impress an interested team, eh? he may be a lot of things, but a bum ain't one of 'em.

1. The 'trading Chad for anything of value' train left the station last year when SoP didn't take the Redskin offer.

2. Yeah, he is.