Shirley gets 30 days in orange W/O stripes

Dadraftnick

SHIRLEY SENTENCED: Rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley was found guilty Monday of drunken driving and hit and run, and was sentenced to 30 days in the adult offender work program in Fresno County Superior Court, according to The Fresno Bee.

The Bengals picked Shirley in the fifth round back in April, six months after police said Shirley was drunk Oct. 8, 2007 when he backed a car into the bathroom of a Fresno apartment and then drove home. His first trial in June ended in a mistrial when jurors failed to reach a verdict after deliberating for three days.

It's believed that Shirley, who has yet to play in a game, can serve the sentence after the season. Shirley is expected back from Fresno for Wednesday's practice.

---------------------------

This must a wet dream come true for the steelers fans at pro football talk.

PFT responses more of the same o_O It amazes how much flack we still get from the 2006 Offseason when Jaguars,Buccaneers and even the steelers have been so much worse over the past couple of years...You would think Tank Johnson,Pacman,Vick and every other real thug / trouble maker was on our team...rather then few potheads and duis.....

I would like to see what Shirley can do. What can it hurt, the season's lost already anyway....

I agree one hundred percent. I'm not sure why a lot of our draft picks aren't playing, especially at 1-8 and with everyone but Palmer conceding the playoffs. Play him, Simpson, Sims. Get them all in there. How do we know if they can plug some of our holes if we aren't playing them. This waiting until 'the ones that picked them' think they are ready isn't cutting it now. That's ridiculous.

...Jason Shirley... and was sentenced to 30 days in the adult offender work program

I can't even tell what that means. Is this some kind of politically correct way to say they're putting him in jail, or is it some kind of probation/public service thing where he just shows up during the day and picks up trash along the highway?

I would like to see what Shirley can do. What can it hurt, the season's lost already anyway....

Well, why not sit all 22 starters and flood the field with waiver wire scrubs? The season is lost, right? So why not keep all of the most valuable pieces safely tucked away on a shelf? And while we're at it, let's keep the veteran backups away from the fray too.

From Day 1 Marvin has described Shirley as a project, and he's all but admitted it's a long-term sorta thing....ala The Incredible Dancing Bear. So why shouldn't Shirley sit until he can prove in practice he isn't a liability? Why shouldn't he sit until he actually outplays the guy ahead of him?

So why shouldn't Shirley sit until he can prove in practice he isn't a liability? Why shouldn't he sit until he actually outplays the guy ahead of him?

Sweetie, c'mon, this is an EASY one....

The guy in front of him? He sucks. Sure, yeah, Shirley is no better right this moment. But....the guy in front of him as reached his top potential - he's topped out - and he still sucks - whereas Shirley might actually, you know, *improve* with some snaps under his belt. The best chance to see if Shirley might have the ability to rise to the level of "mostly sucks" or even *gasp* "average" - is if we give him some snaps.

You know, the other guy's snaps.

The guy getting paid like Bill Gates and playing like, well, err.....I'm fairly certain that Bill Gates would really suck as an NFL defensive tackle.

It sounds like you haven't given up your playoff hopes for 2008, hunnybuns. Yeah, somebody has to be the very last one to hold onto hopes, but I wasn't sure (til now) I'd actually ever know who that person would be.

Here I was betting it would be JoeWrong or Agreen......

Well, why not sit all 22 starters and flood the field with waiver wire scrubs? The season is lost, right? So why not keep all of the most valuable pieces safely tucked away on a shelf? And while we're at it, let's keep the veteran backups away from the fray too.

From Day 1 Marvin has described Shirley as a project, and he's all but admitted it's a long-term sorta thing....ala The Incredible Dancing Bear. So why shouldn't Shirley sit until he can prove in practice he isn't a liability? Why shouldn't he sit until he actually outplays the guy ahead of him?

Because he can't develop sitting on his ass, that's why. Put him in there, let him learn, and see what he can do. A project tackle can't do any worse than John Thornton. I'm not saying he should play every snap, but he needs game experience.

Aside from that, why would we want to do the same thing with Shirley as we did with Andrews? We finally got him playing good ball, and now he'll probably be gone after the season. So the sooner we can develop Shirley, the better.

So why shouldn't Shirley sit until he can prove in practice he isn't a liability? Why shouldn't he sit until he actually outplays the guy ahead of him?

The guy in front of him? He sucks. Sure, yeah, Shirley is no better right this moment. But....the guy in front of him as reached his top potential - he's topped out - and he still sucks - whereas Shirley might actually, you know, *improve* with some snaps under his belt. The best chance to see if Shirley might have the ability to rise to the level of "mostly sucks" or even *gasp* "average" - is if we give him some snaps.

You know, the other guy's snaps.

The guy getting paid like Bill Gates and playing like, well, err.....I'm fairly certain that Bill Gates would really suck as an NFL defensive tackle.

It sounds like you haven't given up your playoff hopes for 2008, hunnybuns. Yeah, somebody has to be the very last one to hold onto hopes, but I wasn't sure (til now) I'd actually ever know who that person would be.

Here I was betting it would be JoeWrong or Agreen......

Talking about JT right not Peko?

I remember watching the replay of Jacksonville's last 1 yard TD plunge, and it was an end zone view and all I saw across my screen was number 97 being picked up sideways and being pushed backwards by an OLineman... I was like, man he sucks so bad.

I felt the same way watching JT. He gets manhandled in there and I don't care what Shirley has done or if he is not ready. They were saying the same thing about Sims and look how well he has worked out for the Bengals. The season is over why not try Shirley in there and I am not talking about putting him in there for 25 snaps a game. Give him a handful and go from there. He can only get better with more playing time and he wont get pushed back like JT does.

The guy in front of him? He sucks. Sure, yeah, Shirley is no better right this moment. But....

I have a confession to make. You see, after reading the above I wondered why anyone would bother continuing. But I did, mostly out of my lasting respect for all things TJ.

....the guy in front of him as reached his top potential - he's topped out - and he still sucks - whereas Shirley might actually, you know, *improve* with some snaps under his belt.

So your justification for increased playing time boils down to this. The current starter sucks, the player you'd like to see more of sucks just as badly or even worse, but we'll never know unless the fat kid is given a chance. But there's the thing, because some people are in a better position to judge whether Shirley is ready to challenge Thornton. In fact, those people...called coaches in some circles....are better able to judge whether Shirley can put on his pants in the morning without soiling himself. So, I defer.

But you do not defer. Instead, you demand things....probably because you can't think of anything else to do. So from the comfort of the cheap seats or your living room sofa you begin bleating about how you want to see a player you claim is no better than the guy currently playing.

The guy getting paid like Bill Gates and playing like, well, err.....

What's money got to do with it? Are you in the business of trying to save Mike Brown money? I say we let Marvin and Zimmer make those types of calls right up to the moment someone relieves them of those types of responsibilities.

sounds like you haven't given up your playoff hopes for 2008, hunnybuns.

Playoff hopes? They're buried next to the dead hookers now sleeping peacefully under my lawn. So all we're talking about here is whether coaches should still be in a position to determine who plays and how much OR whether those types of decisions are best left to the remaining douchenozzles still sitting in the stands.

They were saying the same thing about Sims and look how well he has worked out for the Bengals.

Who made that call? Who determined when Sims was capable of winning as many battles as he lost? Who determined when Sims had lost enough weight that he was finally able to reach down and touch his own dick?

It wasn't you, was it?

Look, I'm not arguing AGAINST playing time. I'm suggesting in my own colorful manner that coaches are in the best position to make the call.

Besides, as was proven in the Anthony Collins example, the Bengals could begin playing Shirley this week and half of you clowns wouldn't notice for another month.

....whereas Shirley might actually, you know, *improve* with some snaps under his belt.

It'll never happen, Jackson.

Two words, TJ....."Coach Hayes" :huh: