Palmer not worried about the first string

combatbengal

Haven't we heard this in the past. We're not worried. We have everything under control. Yea Yea yea. They've talk the talk so much, now it's time to wal the walk. I don't see that happening.

Palmer said the offense is better than it looked the past two preseason games - in which he was sacked four times and knocked down another four.

"I'm not concerned. We missed a couple (blocks) here and there; I missed a hot," he said of a quick pass designed to counter a blitz. "That's why you practice in the preseason. You see some new blitzes that you're not used to seeing."

That's funny from someone who just had his nose broken the other day. How can he not be worried? They should have their protection schemes perfected by the third preseason game. What kind of kool-aid are these guys drinking?

Dimster's right. Palmer knows he'll have guys open when they line up against the Ravens. Maybe the line will look better when Carson has someone to throw the ball to.

??? Not sure that's how it works. You can have TJ and Chad open all day long, but if Palmer doesn't have the time to find them because his line has collapsed, he's not hitting jack. We talk about the team giving up so few sacks last year, but remember Palmer's throwing was erratic quite often and his completion percentage was down because he was hurrying throws to AVOID the sacks.

Dimster's right. Palmer knows he'll have guys open when they line up against the Ravens. Maybe the line will look better when Carson has someone to throw the ball to.

??? Not sure that's how it works. You can have TJ and Chad open all day long, but if Palmer doesn't have the time to find them because his line has collapsed, he's not hitting jack. We talk about the team giving up so few sacks last year, but remember Palmer's throwing was erratic quite often and his completion percentage was down because he was hurrying throws to AVOID the sacks.

I'm sure it'll help, but it won't fix the problem with our OLine completely.

And we won't go much far at all without a dominant OLine.

Palmer should have said that he is terrified of the coming season. He should have said that he thinks the offensive line isn't going to gel, and his receivers are going to be horrible. That's real leadership.

That might have lit a fire under their ass if he had.

Palmer should have said that he is terrified of the coming season. He should have said that he thinks the offensive line isn't going to gel, and his receivers are going to be horrible. That's real leadership.

That might have lit a fire under their ass if he had.

I'm more inclined to assume they'd be shocked at his blatant cowardice.

How can people be so blind? Some of you on here are the types that would say the death penalty is too cruel for someone who was found guilty of raping and killing a child. It’s preseason, I understand that. However, these guys have been playing this game for years. There is no excuse for poor tackling, poor coverage, bad run routes, etc. The team hasn’t shown anything in three preseason games. We didn’t even get past the 50 yard line against the Saints. Graham sat the bench; didn’t have an opportunity to get into the game. Our QB received a broken nose. Our DB’s are getting burnt every game. Wake up. These guys were not instructed to hold back or take it easy. This is the time for players to shine so they can make the team. You’d think that they’d be playing their butts off. But they aren’t, and we have people on here justifying their poor performance because it’s preseason. Two years ago, Rudi was the man. Now he’s fighting for a slot, with trade talks over his shoulder. Chad is a super star, but if he’s hurt and can’t play, he’ll be replaced. Would you accept sloppy work on your car from a mechanic that just got hired? No, because it puts your life as well as your family and others in danger. You want him giving it his all. Same goes for our Bengals, we want 100% on every single play, no matter if it’s preseason, the playoffs, or if we’re down by 20 points.

How can people be so blind? Some of you on here are the types that would say the death penalty is too cruel for someone who was found guilty of raping and killing a child. It’s preseason, I understand that. However, these guys have been playing this game for years. There is no excuse for poor tackling, poor coverage, bad run routes, etc. The team hasn’t shown anything in three preseason games. We didn’t even get past the 50 yard line against the Saints. Graham sat the bench; didn’t have an opportunity to get into the game. Our QB received a broken nose. Our DB’s are getting burnt every game. Wake up. These guys were not instructed to hold back or take it easy. This is the time for players to shine so they can make the team. You’d think that they’d be playing their butts off. But they aren’t, and we have people on here justifying their poor performance because it’s preseason. Two years ago, Rudi was the man. Now he’s fighting for a slot, with trade talks over his shoulder. Chad is a super star, but if he’s hurt and can’t play, he’ll be replaced. Would you accept sloppy work on your car from a mechanic that just got hired? No, because it puts your life as well as your family and others in danger. You want him giving it his all. Same goes for our Bengals, we want 100% on every single play, no matter if it’s preseason, the playoffs, or if we’re down by 20 points.

AAAAAAA and MEEEEENNNNNN!

Here's how the Line will look better with all the weapons in our arsenal.

If TJ and Chad are there they have to accounted for, safeties have to cheat on them and the defense as a whole cannot be as aggressive because if they leave on of those guys uncovered Palmer will throw for 600 yards and we will score 50. Without those guys on the field, safeties can be cleared to blitz, also because Palmer is less certain where his guys will be on a certain play he has to take longer to make a decision.

Oh, and combatbengal, the issue with the death penalty isn't cruelty (anyone who intentionally hurts a child, particularly a parent whose betrayl will destroy that childs ability to trust for a lifetime, deserves to be publicly flogged and dismembered). The problem with the death penalty is that man and anything built by man is fallible and even though there are cases that are guilty without a doubt, if you open up the death penalty for them you open it up for people who get convicted because of a political issue or a complete miscarriage of justice. Our responsibility is to remove people who are dangerous from society, giving them a life sentence without parole may be expensive but it is also the only way to give someone his life back if 30 years from now we find out that the original conviction is wrong. Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord, let God (who is unfallible) cast down that sentence.

Life is pretty easy to figure out when every issue is black and white, unfortunately the conclusions you draw with that kind of thinking are usually wrong.

Here's how the Line will look better with all the weapons in our arsenal.

If TJ and Chad are there they have to accounted for, safeties have to cheat on them and the defense as a whole cannot be as aggressive because if they leave on of those guys uncovered Palmer will throw for 600 yards and we will score 50. Without those guys on the field, safeties can be cleared to blitz, also because Palmer is less certain where his guys will be on a certain play he has to take longer to make a decision.

Oh, and combatbengal, the issue with the death penalty isn't cruelty (anyone who intentionally hurts a child, particularly a parent whose betrayl will destroy that childs ability to trust for a lifetime, deserves to be publicly flogged and dismembered). The problem with the death penalty is that man and anything built by man is fallible and even though there are cases that are guilty without a doubt, if you open up the death penalty for them you open it up for people who get convicted because of a political issue or a complete miscarriage of justice. Our responsibility is to remove people who are dangerous from society, giving them a life sentence without parole may be expensive but it is also the only way to give someone his life back if 30 years from now we find out that the original conviction is wrong. Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord, let God (who is unfallible) cast down that sentence.

Life is pretty easy to figure out when every issue is black and white, unfortunately the conclusions you draw with that kind of thinking are usually wrong.

The only problem with your paraphrase of Deuteronomy 32 and Romans 12 is that neither deal with the death penalty. Deuteronomy 32:35 deals with how God is to be the only judge of His nation of Israel, where Romans 12:19 deals with Christians not retaliating against those that persecute them for their religious beliefs. Since you've went Bible on us, the death penalty is clearly a Biblical concept established by God to be exercised by civil government.

Having said all that, certainly there are flaws in the judicial system, as I see every day, but it is much more common for the guilty man to walk free than the innocent to be convicted. Those cases that get overturned thirty years later are sensationalised by the media, but are quite infrequent to support the argument.

And swinging back to something football related, your opening paragraph is the theory that makes everyone feel good, but we had TJ and Chad last year for the safeties to account for and our offense was average at best. Chad and TJ had big numbers. Palmer had big numbers in terms of yards. We still went 7-9 with an average overall offense. Yes we allowed so few sacks, but as I mentioned earlier, that number is misleading because of the reasons stated elsewhere.

Until such time as there can be incontrivertable evidence as to the guilt or innocence of an accused, I cannot support the government taking a life as punishment since that punishment cannot be reversed. I really don't care how rare a miscarriage of justice is, as long as it happens I cannot condone that sentence.

As far as the Biblical quote, as with most things in the Bible you can take it as specific in that instance or you can interpret it as a general guildeline. This is an aspet of the Bible that has been fought over for years and by better prepared contestants than any of us. Yes, the old testiment is filled with instances of state supported capital punishment but as far as God established? I think that is going too far particularly in light of the crucification of Jesus.

My purpose in posting this on a sports forum was to conter the statements by combatbengal that those of us who are against the death penalty are against it because of some sort of weakness, meekness, or unwillingness to face harsh realities. As a Buddhist, I revere all life and believe that it should never be taken casually or if there are other alternatives, in this case the alternative is to keep those convicted of a crime that would otherwise call for the death penalty incarcerated for life. As far as a punishment, I cannot think of anything more painful than to live with the constant reminder (jail) that you have done harm and inflicted pain, of course those that do committ murder and rape probably do so because they are incapable of feeling remorse or regret but understand that death is nothing to those people it is neither a threat nor a deterent something that has been proved repeatedly by numerous studies of inmates.

AS far as football is concerned, the Bengals were 7th last year in passing (certainly better than mediocre), 2nd in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed. Yes Palmer was pressing which led to a lot more INTs than is normal for him but I believe that was due a lack of confidence in our defense rather than some inditement of our offense. I believe that you have to temper your evaluation of our running with the fact that we were playing our fourth string RB most of the season (if healthy Rudi, Perry, and Irons would have all been ahead of Watson on the depth chart) and we had significant injuries on the Offensive Line (Jones, Anderson, Ghiaciuc all missed time). I argue that our offense performed better than most if faced with the same adversity.

Until such time as there can be incontrivertable evidence as to the guilt or innocence of an accused, I cannot support the government taking a life as punishment since that punishment cannot be reversed. I really don't care how rare a miscarriage of justice is, as long as it happens I cannot condone that sentence.

As far as the Biblical quote, as with most things in the Bible you can take it as specific in that instance or you can interpret it as a general guildeline. This is an aspet of the Bible that has been fought over for years and by better prepared contestants than any of us. Yes, the old testiment is filled with instances of state supported capital punishment but as far as God established? I think that is going too far particularly in light of the crucification of Jesus.

My purpose in posting this on a sports forum was to conter the statements by combatbengal that those of us who are against the death penalty are against it because of some sort of weakness, meekness, or unwillingness to face harsh realities. As a Buddhist, I revere all life and believe that it should never be taken casually or if there are other alternatives, in this case the alternative is to keep those convicted of a crime that would otherwise call for the death penalty incarcerated for life. As far as a punishment, I cannot think of anything more painful than to live with the constant reminder (jail) that you have done harm and inflicted pain, of course those that do committ murder and rape probably do so because they are incapable of feeling remorse or regret but understand that death is nothing to those people it is neither a threat nor a deterent something that has been proved repeatedly by numerous studies of inmates.

I dont agree, criminals are just as capable of feeling remorse or regret, they just have the ability to look past these feelings and selfishly do what they want anyway.

As to the studies showing the death penalty to not be a deterrant, I dont think convicted felons are the appropraite audience to be interviewing. These are the people that it obviuosly did not have an affect on, but what about the others that did not follow thru with crimes because they value thier own life to much to put it in jeopardy.

I am solidly in favor of capital punishment and would like to see the appeal process reformed to clear the backlog of convicted death row inmates!

And to get back to football, I also feel that more than half of the Steeler and Brownie fans that I have met in my lifetime would be better off if they were put to death.

As a Christian, I certainly respect your beliefs as a Buddhist, while not able to agree with all of them. In terms of Biblical interpretation, however, as a Christian acccepting the Bible as a whole as representative of God's will, I cannot agree with your position that things in the Bible can be taken as either a specific or a general guideline. All things must, first and foremost, be interpreted in context. Sometimes the context is specific, sometimes the context is a general guideline. My position on your Biblical quote was in the looking of the context of each verse.

Also, to accept your position that the crucifixion of Jesus would somehow negate God's declaration of an Old Testament death penalty would negate the very consequence of sin itself, which as Romans tells us, the wages of sin is death.

I, too, revere life, but all life. If a man rapes and murders a child and the evidence proves it beyond reasonable doubt, I don't believe it honors the life of the innocent victim to stash the guy in solitare for thirty or forty years.

Regardless, this is a good, clean spirited debate, and I've enjoyed the dialogue. However, if we continue, we will be in danger of an 'off topic' chastisement. :)

No and I was seriously looking forward to beginning a discussion of the remarkable similarities between Christianity and Buddhism. I will add one last remark, "the wages of sin is death" could be interpreted that because we sin, we die not necessarily a sponsorship of capital punishment.

No and I was seriously looking forward to beginning a discussion of the remarkable similarities between Christianity and Buddhism. I will add one last remark, "the wages of sin is death" could be interpreted that because we sin, we die not necessarily a sponsorship of capital punishment.

Actually, you feel like it, go ahead and start the thread in the general discussions section.

I agree that verse doesn't mean anything to death penalty. It refers to the eternal separation from God even more than the physical death of the body. My point, poorly made I'll concede, was that if the crucifixion of Jesus erased the death penalty, that would, on a deeper level, mean that all sins are forgiven by the death and resurrection of Jesus and there is no more eternal punishment, which as a Buddhist you may believe anyway, whereas I believe there is still sin accountability until a person asks that the crucifixion erase those penalties. My point was that, even with the crucifixion, there is still a punishment aspect of God associated with His being a God of justice as well as mercy.

Start the thread if you wish, though, because the dialogues are good. Others may wish to kick in.