Curnutte Says Two More Deals All But Done

membengal

I added it to another thread, but figure it may be worth standing on its own in hindsight. The piece also says they are working hard on Simpson, Caldwell, and Collins. Sounds like progress is being made.

Also, with NE getting something done with Mayo at #10, that ought to help with respect to Rivers.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...40057/1055/NEWS

Third-round defensive tackle Pat Sims and sixth-round safety Corey Lynch are essentially agreed upon, but don’t look for an official announcement from the club until Sunday.

No terms are available yet.

The four draft picks already in the fold – defensive tackle Jason Shirley (fifth round), tight end Matt Sherry (sixth) and defensive end Angelo Craig and wide receiver Mario Urrutia (seventh) – signed four-year contracts.

Productive discussions are ongoing with two wide receivers, second-round pick Jerome Simpson and third-rounder Andre Caldwell.

Hobson also now says that Collins is all but done.

That would leave Rivers, Simpson, Caldwell.

Major progress.

Oh, and for all who still yearn for Sed Ellis, this note is of interest:

No. 7 apparently isn't close. The Saints expect a long holdout from defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis. Ellis is repped by Eugene Parker, Chris Perry's agent during his 2004 holdout that nearly lasted the entire camp.

ProFootballTalk.com quoted Saints general manager Mickey Loomis as pessimistic.

"They're all just waiting, not wanting to be first, not wanting to be embarrassed by a deal that gets done after they do their deal and frankly, they're looking for some huge increases," Loomis said. "Yes, they'll do a deal if you want to give them some outrageous increase. I just don't know any business where you hand out 20 percent, 30 percent increases every year. You're not going to be in business very long if you do that."

It should be a given that all but your top 3 picks are done by now.

Because Rivers was a bit of a reach, it's hard to say if they'll run into problems or not.

They REALLY cannot afford to have Rivers hold-out very long, if at all.

As it stands, he's their best LB on paper!! (which is quite sad and why I'm down on them right now for not getting another LB somehow)

Not worried about it. Since the Bengals are one of the last two teams to start practices (thanks to their late pre-season opener), they have more time to get stuff done.

I would expect Caldwell and Simpson will be reported done by this time tomorrow.

Rivers? Coin flip whether he gets done in time. Happily, his agent is one who tends to get his clients into camp.

I would keep my eye on Harvey (No. 8) in Jax. Knowing how reluctant the Bengals are to move before the slot has been definitively established, I have my doubts that any deal with Rivers gets done before Jax gets Harvey in the fold. Earlier in the week, reports were that the Jags and Harvey were closing in on a contract, but that never materialized and now looks like it won't happen until Monday at the earliest.

With Ghoulston's deal getting done, Rivers is pretty well slotted.

I think we've got a better idea, but there's a lot of daylight between a 5-year, $50 million deal and a 5-year, $18.9 million one. Based on that you'd expect 7 (Ellis) to come in around $42 million, 8 (Harvey) about $34 million, and then Rivers around $26 million. But both side may try to wait to see if something "funny" happens at 7 or 8.

Ghoulston's deal is not $50 million it is only $50 million with escalators.

Unfortunately, that only makes it worse. The Bengals are notorious for holding out for tough escalators, hating "log" bonuses, and all that. In short, the more crap in the Gholston deal, the less weight it will carry with out (alleged) brain trust.

Since the Ellis deal is between the Bengals and the Gholston deal, I am not worried about it. In fact, the Gholsten escalators may be the reason for the pessimism with regard to the Saints getting Ellis in on time. I bet the Mayo deal will be the helpful one. Rivers' agent being reasonable is a huge help.

I would bet that Rivers will be here by the first week of August, which will give him more than enough time. I don't see a long holdout with him, but then again, I didn't see it with Pollack, either. The best hope for any franchise is that all of their picks are signed before the beginning of the next week after camp opens.