2nd Round: Jerome Simpson

ArmyBengal

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of getting jammed with Ellis, does anyone else get the sneaking suspicion that SoP is kind of despised in the NFL? as in, no one cares to deal with them?

This is probably a stupid question, but what is "SoP"? People write it all the time, and I have no idea what it means.

Son of Paul -- Mikey

Thanks TDB. Now it makes sense. I was trying to figure out how "Standard Operating Procedure" fit into these statements. :lol:

That works too.

Somebody please just tell me why we picked Jerome Simpson over Malcom Kelly, and DeSean Jackson?

Because he is better.

Malcom Kelly scared everyone off with his hissy fits the last three weeks and Jackson is small.

The last thing Lewis needs is another headcase like Kelly. I liek Jackson and would have thought he could have gone to Cinci instead of Simpson, but size matters at WR.

If you would ask the rest of the NFL, they would tell you there is a 95.5 % chance this kid would be there in the 3rd round. If you love him so much, trade one of your zillion picks to move earlier in the 3rd round. Don't p!ss away one of the few quality DT tackles remaining.

This is an Artrell Hawkins type reach. GET SOME FLIPPING SCOUTS BROWN! This kid may turn out to be the next Jerry Rice, but guess what? You could have grabbed him in the 3rd, 4th or possibly the 5th round.

I dont think this is the kind of thing you can blame on bad scouts. If we really had no scouts or bad scouts we would be taking mostly players either on the top of Mel's board or local guys (like hawkins). To say that we have no scouts so we take a guy from division 1aa is kinda stupid if you ask me. Without scouts we wouldnt know this guy existed.

Ah great, as i say this the steelers get limas sweed. I really wanted him here...

Wrong. If they had some scouts, they would have known that other scouts had him projected as a 4th - 6th rounder. It's not about liking somebody, it's about getting them in the round that you want to get him. How many other teams do you hear of that reach for players 2, 3 sometimes 4 rounds early? Not very many. If they had a real scouting deparment, they would have had a list of 10 guys deserving of the 46 pick, knowing that they could easily land the Coastal Carolina kid in the next round.

Me like player, him have big hands, most grab player now! Mike it's not your turn. Me want player now!

Somebody please just tell me why we picked Jerome Simpson over Malcom Kelly, and DeSean Jackson?

Because he is better.

Malcom Kelly scared everyone off with his hissy fits the last three weeks and Jackson is small.

The last thing Lewis needs is another headcase like Kelly. I liek Jackson and would have thought he could have gone to Cinci instead of Simpson, but size matters at WR.

Simpson also had the best broad jump of 11.4 at the combine=explosion/jumping ability

Random thoughts....

I don't hate the pick. Simply put, I haven't seen enough of Simpson to love or hate him. That said, I have my doubts that he was a better choice than Limas Sweed, a player whose skill set and character I found very attractive.

Because I don't know much about him I can't gripe about the value. I do know Simpson showed up on plenty of rankings as a player on the rise and I've seen him projected to go as early as the 2nd round and as late as the 5th. And some of the projections that had him going later actually had him higher ranked than better known players.

I thought Simpson was impressive at the combine and I wish now I had watched him more closely. (The NFL Network usually repeats the coverage after the draft.)

I guess a 3rd WR was a need, sort of, but to be perfectly honest I'm tired of being the team that always passes the ball.

And of course the hardest thing to take is knowing the draft fell perfectly in the 2nd round, yet the player I coveted was passed on. Maybe that turns out to be no big deal or maybe it's something that irks me until I die. Who knows? But making matters worse was seeing that players value confirmed when Laws was selected one pick later.

I agree with you completely, Hair. We need DT and WR help badly. Much could be debated as to which one we needed worse. The thing is that it just seems as though there is more in the form of WR help that could be available in the 3rd round than DT help. And when Philly picks Laws two picks later, it hurts a little worse...because Philly is very good at evaluating Lineman.

All I know is that if we have Peko and Thornton starting at DT this year or Peko and Fanene or whatever else we put together from our existing roster, we will continue to get run all over. And we play all kinds of stud running offenses this year.

I definitely didn't want Jackson or Kelly. They both have potential attitude problems and we have to stay away from that--especially at WR. Also, Jackson is a bit frail for the NFL probably, while Kelly is slow.

It's not those two that bother me. It's Sweed or Laws. I will just be watching those two in Philly and Pittsburgh, and hopefully Simpson will be great and Sweed's and Laws' success won't hurt as badly.

we will continue to get run all over. And we play all kinds of stud running offenses this year.

Precisely, any efforts Carson and our recievers and RBs make will most likely be counteracted by the fact our D will have it's ass handed to it more times than not. Not pressure on the QB = trouble, no matter how good your CBs are. No inside pressure from the DTs means running on us almost at will. Same s**t, different day.

I can't really bring myself to dislike this guy, like I did with Frostee the Slowman last year. He appears to have made some great catches, has explosive athletic numbers, good size, freakishly large hands, is by all accounts I have read a hard worker, and has good intangibles. I think this is exactly the type of player we need to build with. The reason I call this a terrible pick is because we needed defense more, and I believe this type of WR would have still been available in round 3.

So again - I don't dislike this player, and have high hopes that he can replace Chad - yes, not Henry, but Chad - but I still think Laws or even Groves would be the far better value at this point. A better push on the DL would make all of our linebackers and defensive backs instantly better.

I said earlier this was a terrible pick. Maybe terrible is too strong. Poor value? Poorly timed?

What I will try not to do is hold the pick number against this guy.....I'll instead look forward to watching him. I hope he starts working with the strength coaches to add some muscle mass, as he also is said to be a willing blocker. Lord, how long has it been since we had a WR who is a willing and capable blocker?

I can't really bring myself to dislike this guy, like I did with Frostee the Slowman last year. He appears to have made some great catches, has explosive athletic numbers, good size, freakishly large hands, is by all accounts I have read a hard worker, and has good intangibles. I think this is exactly the type of player we need to build with. The reason I call this a terrible pick is because we needed defense more, and I believe this type of WR would have still been available in round 3.

So again - I don't dislike this player, and have high hopes that he can replace Chad - yes, not Henry, but Chad - but I still think Laws or even Groves would be the far better value at this point. A better push on the DL would make all of our linebackers and defensive backs instantly better.

I said earlier this was a terrible pick. Maybe terrible is too strong. Poor value? Bad? Ill timed?

What I will try not to do is hold the pick number against this guy.....I'll instead look forward to watching him. I hope he starts working with the strength coaches to add some muscle mass, as he also is said to be a willing blocker. Lord, how long has it been since we had a WR who is a willing and capable blocker?

Well, this is kind of disturbing:

Jerome Simpson Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Randall Weida's 4/25 Mock Draft Round 3: #19

Eddie Griffin's 4/25 Mock Draft Not selected

Forrest N. Long's 4/24 Mock Draft Not selected

Joel Welser's 4/24 Mock Draft Not selected

Don Anderson's 4/23 Mock Draft Not selected

Dustin Claussen's 4/23 Mock Draft Not selected

Raul Colon's 4/23 Mock Draft Not selected

Thomas Scott's 4/22 Mock Draft Not selected

Ricky Dimon's 4/18 Mock Draft Not selected

Position: WR

School & Year/Status: Costal Carolina - Senior

Height & Weight: 6'1 - 190 lbs.

NFL Combine Results

40-Yard Dash 4.47

Vertical jump 32

Broad jump 11.04

See All Combine Results

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report

Simpson started all of Costal Carolina's eleven games during his true freshman campaign in 2004, recording 26 receptions for 419 yards. He also scored eight TDs. For his effort, Simpson was voted Big South Freshman of the Year. He then started six of eleven games in 2005. Nevertheless, his numbers improved from the last season. He made 33 receptions for 527 yards, while scoring nine TDs. In 2006, he went on to start ten of twelve games, recording a career high 61 catches for 1,077 yards and 16 TDs. For his effort, Simpson was named to the Big South First Team as well as the Second Teal All American squads. Simpson started all of Carolina's eleven games as a senior while catching 41 balls for 697 yards. He also added 11 touchdowns.

Simpson has one of the biggest set of hands in this year's wide receiver class. He used them well, catching anything a QB can throw at him. He has good, although not great, playing speed (4.40-40). Simpson's leaping ability set him apart from other small school prospects. But he is rail-thin and tends to shy away from contact, not liking to block. His route running needs more coaching and he has a questionable desire for the game. Simpson's speed is more of the straight line variety than a football one and he's not even an explosive playmaker.

Simpson is a very intriguing prospect. He does have the hands to play catch with anyone. But, his speed, which had scouts worried before the Combine, became an asset afterwards. Nevertheless, he lacks true game changing speed. He should have dominated last year and did not. His desire is a concern as is his tiny frame. He needs to add more strength and fast. Once projected as a late rounder (maybe sixth or seventh), he is now hovering between the fourth and fifth round. Although, he could develop into a solid complementary NFL receiver.

Last Updated Mar-28-2008 by Raul Colon

So, you reach a couple rounds for a skinny guy that hates football??????

I said earlier this was a terrible pick. Maybe terrible is too strong. Poor value? Poorly timed?

I'm also trying to read between the lines on this pick....it could be taking a WR means CJ is a goner after June 1, it could be the beginning of a WR stockpile to shove up CJ's azz, it could also be a message to the league that the Bengals have moved on from the drama...notice a theme...it is all about erasing the memory of Chad, which will take mucho effort. Simpson is a start, as he could be the only WR in the draft who is actually a better athlete than CJ.......

I do agree that this team had better figure out a way to address the D-line and fast. No DT's were taken after we Laws, so we have a decent menu to work with.

Like I said before size doesnt matter if you can out run your opponent, and Jackson is fast.

If the secondary beats the heck out of you and you can't catch the ball - it does.

Speed doesnt matter if you don't have the ball.

I LIKE Jackson. But size is a huge issue to NFL teams. Simpson is 6-1 AND ran a 4.47 so he's not plodding by any means.

I posted this before - I came across a video on this guy a while ago and I think he looks like a guy who can play well.

I agree it's a round early at least.

There is NO home run WR in this class. None. Each one has some weaknesses. It's why no WR was taken in round 1. There are just too many bust factors to do it. Once you get to the second round, it's all preference.

All that said -

The pick should have been D here in my opinion. FWIW as I don't work for a football team. ;)

And of course the hardest thing to take is knowing the draft fell perfectly in the 2nd round, yet the player I coveted was passed on. Maybe that turns out to be no big deal or maybe it's something that irks me until I die. Who knows? But making matters worse was seeing that players value confirmed when Laws was selected one pick later.

That's about it. Same old same old. Ignore the D in search of building the perfect offense. Predictable, I suppose, but still depressing.

The pick should have been D here in my opinion. ;)

Agree. I like what Jacksonville has done so far. He was probably going to be there in the third. Go defense again and then trade of one of the third round picks to move up and take him then.

The pick should have been D here in my opinion. ;)

Agree. I like what Jacksonville has done so far. He was probably going to be there in the third. Go defense again and then trade of one of the third round picks to move up and take him then.

Yeah the Jags really did well today getting Harvey and Groves (though Groves has a few questions).

Big impact with just two picks.

Jet, I read that ffltoolbox stuff too, but it doesn't exactly jibe with what I have read elsewhere, and even has some inconsistency internally. For example

he is rail-thin.....

his tiny frame......

Height & Weight: 6'1 - 190 lbs.

Yeah, I'd like to see him add 5-10 pounds of muscle, but mass and strength is easier to add than height and speed. and I would certainly not call 6-1.5 'tiny'. I think you'll see him at 205-207 by the season opener. Actually, his pro day weight was 199....so do you still see him as "rail-thin" or "tiny"? I don't.

lacks true game changing speed
NFL Combine Results

40-Yard Dash 4.47

Vertical jump 32

Broad jump 11.04

I think 4.47 is pretty good for his size, and other references I have place his actual speed closer to 4.42. Much slower players have "changed games" so I find this comment a bit mystifying

tends to shy away from contact, not liking to block

other sources, several of them in fact, list him as a willing and capable blocker. In any case, can you name an existing Bengals wide receiver, of late much-hated, who could be described in almost the same fashion as the quote above?

His desire is a concern

Other sources have him hard working with good intangibles. In any case, I think it is a long logical leap from questioning his desie to saying "he hates football" as you conclude at the end of your post. I don't think a guy lacking desire puts up the numbers he has, regardless of the level of competition. He did not play touch football. And he excelled against top competition at the Shrine game.

My lord, did I just defend this pick? :-) No,not the pick....the player

During the '05 Draft, I thought Cincinnati had stolen the players that fell to them. I was so sure that the Bengals drafted 3 guys that would be consistent probowlers.

- We got the best defensive end in the draft that was moved to linebacker and he broke his neck.

- We got the top Inside linebacker in the draft, but he decided that marijuana and liquor were more important than playing in the National Football League.

- We got a tremendously gifted wide receiver with speed, hands, and leaping ability that could have become a real threat everytime he was on the field, but he decided to drink, drink with underage girls, change lanes without signaling, drive around on a suspended license, no proof of insurance, and beating up an 18 year old college student and then damaging his " mama's " car were more important than his family and the opportunity to play in the National Football League.

- So What should have been an A +++++, turned out to be a resounding D- ( only because of what the players provided during the '05 season)

4 Years later we grab the Best linebacker in the draft, and a player by every report, shouldn't have been drafted on day one over 3 of the best wide receiver prospects in the draft.

Ok so here's my grade.

Keith Rivers will be Keith Rivers, - I would hope that The Bengals allow him to stay on the Weakside, where his style of play and athleticism should turn him into a high caliber NFL linebacker.

- Jerome Simpson ???? - We often talk about how great Cincy has been drafting wide receivers in round 2, but in each case, we were drafting a player that fell.

1. Cris Collinsworth, - projected 1st rounder

2. Carl Pickens - projected 1st rounder

3. Darnay Scott - projected 1st Rounder

4. Chad Johnson - projected top 10 pick by several draft sources

- They fell to us, and allowed us to take a player that wouldn't have been there under normal circumstances. Drafting Jerome Simpson, is a Reach pick.

- C :unsure: