So who was the Bengals biggest bust?

walzav29

This time of year always brings up famous Bengal busts. Who is our biggest? I wouldn't put Pollack in there because he wasn't a top ten. This is a tough question.

#4. Dan Wilkinson - sucked for us, but did have an ok career.

#3. Ki-Jana Carter - Mr. Glass was always hurt, and never was healthy and went on to suck for two other teams

#2. David Klingler - Yuck. Just horrible with the dinks and dunk passes.

#1- Akili Smith - Not just the fact that he sucked, but the fact that they passed on the Saints entire draft makes him the biggest bust.

On a side note. Would it be worse to be Scott Norwood around Superbowl time or Ryan Leaf at draft time?

On a side note. Would it be worse to be Scott Norwood around Superbowl time or Ryan Leaf at draft time?

Ryan Leaf, not just draft time but anytime. At least Norwood can look back on a career with lots of success, but a few bad kicks at the wrong time. Ryan Leaf must swim in a sea of black regret every night.

#4. Dan Wilkinson - sucked for us, but did have an ok career.

#3. Ki-Jana Carter - Mr. Glass was always hurt, and never was healthy and went on to suck for two other teams

#2. David Klingler - Yuck. Just horrible with the dinks and dunk passes.

#1- Akili Smith - Not just the fact that he sucked, but the fact that they passed on the Saints entire draft makes him the biggest bust.

Ki Jana Carter is as much of a bust as david pollack,the guy was simply unlucky from injury's just like Perry & Pollack.

Ki Jana Carter is as much of a bust as david pollack,the guy was simply unlucky from injury's just like Perry & Pollack.

I gotta say that I was watching the game when Carter got hurt. They helped him off the field and sat him on a bench and the thing that jumped off of the screen to me was that he had a huge pot-belly full of cellulite hanging over his belt.

My first thought was that 19 million dollar running backs should not have a big pot belly. Disgraceful, KiJana.

That, and not the injuries, is why I see him as a bust.

Archie Griffin sure didnt do much, nice guy, but wasn't the best for us on the field for all the hype coming out of college and all... If I remember correctly, he fumbled a crucial kickoff late in the first half of our first Super Bowl loss as well...

Akili, however, has to be the biggest bust...

Akili

bottom line was that he was ill-prepared to be an NFL QB most teams (with scouts and a FO) could see that.

At least with Klingler, he had an epic college career...he just, like, forgot how to play in the NFL and ended up sacked more than David Carr eventually was.

Ki-Jana was pretty bad but an injury played a role. Akili and Klingler just were straight busts.

Wilkinson just took a long time to get it, longer than the bengals had patience for.

Akili

bottom line was that he was ill-prepared to be an NFL QB most teams (with scouts and a FO) could see that.

I agree. Other busts had injury problems. This guy was just as dumb as they come.

Going back into history . . . .

David Verser in the 1st, only mitigated by Chris Collinsworth in the 2nd.

Every DLineman in the last 25 years: Rhiney Wilson, Bill Kollar, Pete Koch, Big Daddy, Glenn Collins, Jason Buck.

Almost every RB in the last 40 (mostly due to injury): Archie Griffin, Charles Alexander, Ki-jana Carter, Chris Perry.

Makes you want to pick an O-Lineman, doesn't it - Levi, Willie, Munoz, and Dave Remington are the only linemen taken in round 1. 75% is a passing grade!!

In order, the dead guy, Freddy Childress, and then Akili.

Back in the day...ahem...even before the Bengals played their first game the AFL held an expansion draft. Included in the pool of players exposed by other teams was a very recently expired defensive end who played for the Broncos. And of course the Bengals selected him. Paul Brown was said to be enraged when he learned what Denver had done and was said to have used the stunt as motivation when the two teams played. (Bengals first win ever?)

People seem to forget how quickly talk of a busted pick was whispered from the moment Childress showed up in Cincy. He had no passion for the game and showed up grossly out of shape. Then things got worse. I still remember a quote from a coach whose name I've lonce since forgotten saying..."The only thing he's interested in is his first paycheck, and he couldn't care less if there's a second one."

Akili. What more can be said.

Well Hands down the worst pick ever is Akili Smith.

- But the reason is because Mike Brown refused to take 10 draft picks to keep him.

1st,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th in '99.

1st,3rd in '00

1st, in '01

2nd in '02

The reason why mike brown wouldn't do the deal ?????? - The Saints refused to make the 2nd rounder in '02 a 1st rounder....!!!!!

I don't know about you..... But every Hobson story keeps saying the same thing ...." Mike Brown - has final say over who is selected ".....

Turns my stomache every time I read it...!

Not a top 10 pick, but Reinard freakin' Wilson...

Yeah...I guess I would suck too if I played DE all thru college breaking records as a pass rusher and was attempted to be made into a LB in the NFL. And after the Bengals realizing their mistake and putting me back at DE was a little too late.

Honestly, I feel the organization did a huge disservice to his career. JMHO B)