Brett Favre NOT Retiring

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Brett "Favre". Sorry, it's still early out here, I'm only half awake. :rolleyes:

btw, I just realized, Jon Kitna might be the best QB in the NFC North now. :huh:

It's not a problem. The fact that Brett and his family can't say their own name is not your fault.

Aw, hell. Might we have to put up with one...more...year of the media blowing Brett at every opportunity? PFT...

POSTED 11:52 a.m. EST, March 4, 2008

FAVRE SITUATION SUDDENLY GETS WEIRD

As it turns out, that dark cloud in Wisconsin could quickly become a storm.

Brett Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Favre wanted to play another year, but that he felt like the Packers didn't want him.

Uh-oh.

"I know he wants to play one more year," Cook said. "I do not know much conversation there was and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."

Uh-oh.

"I think he wanted to play," Cook said. " I think he's still got it. He knows he's still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don't know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That's just the feeling I got."

Uh-oh.

Asked whether Favre could be talked into returning, Cook said, "I don't know."

Well, maybe the media speculation that the guy who brought Favre to Green Bay, former G.M. Ron Wolf, might be whispering to Bill Parcells about trying to get Favre to Miami is more accurate than we initially thought. Because if Favre wants to play another year and if it's not with the Packers, then maybe it will be elsewhere.

But if Favre doesn't play for the Packers in 2008, either because he's playing for someone else or not playing at all, we think that there could be an enormous backlash against the team. Specifically, G.M. Ted Thompson could find himself in the crosshairs of the fans' criticism.

Never mind the fact that Thompson has done an excellent job; the perception that he ran off Brett Favre could be the quickest ticket out of town for Thompson.

If, in the end, Thompson gets saddled with the brunt of the blame for Favre's departure, the pressure on Thompson to leave, too, will be tremendous. And, as a practical matter, it will put him on an incredibly short leash if the team falters in 2008.

Funny stuff on Mike Tirico's radio show this morning. They were several hours into their Favre-Fest when Mike began reading e-mails from listeners who said they were tuning out unless Mike and Kirk stopped talking about Favre. Tirico reads about a dozen of the e-mails and then blows up. "People, we're talking about the best QB of a generation calling it quits, and the story is only 4 hours old. What do you want?"

I cracked up and immediately thought to myself....Sorry Mike, this story is three years and 4 hours old, and it was done to death before you even started.

Finally, a short time later Tirico interviewed Steve Sabol of NFL Films, asking him about all of the great Favre moments they've captured. Tirico wondered aloud if Favre was hamming it up for the cameras and microphones. Sable replied..."Over the years we've miked up more than 400 players, and I'd have to say Chad Johnson is the only one whose ever deliberately put on a show. Everyone else, judging by their actions and language, quickly forgets the microphone and the camera the moment the game starts."

Everyone else, judging by their actions and language, quickly forgets the microphone and the camera the moment the game starts."

I call bulls**t here. Every player wearing a wire knows it, and is hardly stupid enough to forget it. Of course Ocho Cinco plays it up to the max, but that what he is.

I call bulls**t here. Every player wearing a wire knows it, and is hardly stupid enough to forget it. Of course Ocho Cinco plays it up to the max, but that what he is.

Whether it was bulls**t or not I couldn't say. All I'm saying is, in the midst of a mind dumbing Favre-Fest, it made me laugh.

Oh my God I can't even stand anymore Favre talk - the man is BORING and I am just glad he's retired and maybe after a few weeks we'll be spared the non-stop Favre lovefest. I tried 3 different AM radio stations on the way home last night and every single one of them was talking non-stop about Favre, local and national.

Even Lance McAlister wants to make it a topic today - oh yay Lance just another reason to tune out your increasingly dull show. Honestly i'd rather read C. Trent Rosecrans spring training blog updates (uuughhh, can't believe they pay someone to lounge around and eat all day and post "blog updates").

I don't watch ESPN unless there's a game on, but can only imagine the Favre talk that's been going on there for the last 24 hours.

I'm not sure it will ever end.

Some of you here know how much I hate Favre. Yesterday's coverage made me want to puke. Then I realized Sapp retired yesterday also, (great move by Drew Rosanhous,LOL), then I realized the two people I can't stand in the NFL will be giving their Hall of Fame induction speeches at the same damn time.UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

5 years from now there will actually be a preseason game I won't watch because of this.

Some of you here know how much I hate Favre. Yesterday's coverage made me want to puke. Then I realized Sapp retired yesterday also, (great move by Drew Rosanhous,LOL), then I realized the two people I can't stand in the NFL will be giving their Hall of Fame induction speeches at the same damn time.UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

5 years from now there will actually be a preseason game I won't watch because of this.

You can't at least respect what he has done as a player to earn a place there?

Nope.

Nope.

So these unmatched stats are worthless to you:

The NFL’s only three-time MVP, wears a Superbowl ring, and leads the league with 442 touchdown passes, 61,655 yards passing and 160 career victories. Brett started 253 consecutive regular-season games, more than any other QB in history.

In my book he deserves a huge salute, and I have no problem giving him one.

Nope.

The NFL’s only three-time MVP, wears a Superbowl ring, and leads the league with 442 touchdown passes, 61,655 yards passing and 160 career victories. Brett started 253 consecutive regular-season games, more than any other QB in history.

There's a kid in 2nd grade somewhere that could break all those records. That's what they are there for. All records are ment to be broken and can be. He's still a loser in my book.

Nope.

There's a kid in 2nd grade somewhere that could break all those records. That's what they are there for. All records are ment to be broken and can be. He's still a loser in my book.

With all due respect, what the f**k are you talking about??? Why is he a loser? He's one of the top 5 best QB's of all-time, there's no denying that Dan.

How many games did Favre start without missing a game? What ever it is, its better than Cal Ripken's #. The guy is in his 40's and he's still better one of the top 5 best QB's TODAY in the NFL!

Sports media has been unbearable for days. Nothing is more annoying than to turn on Sportscenter just before they open the show with a darling piano melody accompanied by footage of toddler Bretty Wetty Foo Foo running through the yard with a football in his hands.

Sports media has been unbearable for days. Nothing is more annoying than to turn on Sportscenter just before they open the show with a darling piano melody accompanied by footage of toddler Bretty Wetty Foo Foo running through the yard with a football in his hands.

Did they happen to show the Championship ring on his finger!?!

Favre was an old school player. Tough as nails, and loyal as hell. The NFL need players like him and the late Reggie White. IMHO nothing is better for the game than footballers who play from the soul. As much as I love Chad, he could take a chapter out of their books.

• 3 months later...

As predicted, now he wants back in...:rolleyes:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/blogs/Packers/294432

WED., JUL 2, 2008 - 6:22 PM

Packers: Favre has "itch" to play

JASON WILDE

608-252-6176

jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY — Brett Favre has the itch to play football again, but the Green Bay Packers apparently prefer for the legendary quarterback to scratch it elsewhere.

An NFL source told the State Journal on Wednesday afternoon that Favre — or agent James "Bus" Cook on his behalf — contacted the Packers "within the past few weeks" about returning, and the conversation ended in him asking the club for his release. The Packers refused.

ESPN had reported earlier in the day that Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Packers, citing sources "close to the team and player." The report was from Chris Mortensen, who is close to Favre and Cook. Mortensen was the one who received a voicemail from Favre after his decision to retire became public March 4 — Favre's only remarks until his tearful March 6 news conference.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy, but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source told Mortensen.

The league source, who spoke to the State Journal on the condition of anonymity, wouldn't say why Favre would've asked to be released, but the logical reason he'd have made such a request would be because the team had told him it had moved on with new starter Aaron Rodgers and did not want him back. The Packers also could've been gauging Favre's resolve to see how serious he really is about playing again.

When Mortensen's report broke, Packers cornerback Al Harris was participating in one of several ESPN appearances he was making throughout the day. Asked on "NFL Live" what he knew of Favre's intentions, Harris replied: "I've talked to Brett and I know he has the itch to come back and play. If he will or not, I don't know. But I know he's feeling he wants to play."

As predicted, now he wants back in...:rolleyes:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/blogs/Packers/294432

WED., JUL 2, 2008 - 6:22 PM

Packers: Favre has "itch" to play

JASON WILDE

608-252-6176

jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY — Brett Favre has the itch to play football again, but the Green Bay Packers apparently prefer for the legendary quarterback to scratch it elsewhere.

An NFL source told the State Journal on Wednesday afternoon that Favre — or agent James "Bus" Cook on his behalf — contacted the Packers "within the past few weeks" about returning, and the conversation ended in him asking the club for his release. The Packers refused.

ESPN had reported earlier in the day that Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Packers, citing sources "close to the team and player." The report was from Chris Mortensen, who is close to Favre and Cook. Mortensen was the one who received a voicemail from Favre after his decision to retire became public March 4 — Favre's only remarks until his tearful March 6 news conference.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy, but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source told Mortensen.

The league source, who spoke to the State Journal on the condition of anonymity, wouldn't say why Favre would've asked to be released, but the logical reason he'd have made such a request would be because the team had told him it had moved on with new starter Aaron Rodgers and did not want him back. The Packers also could've been gauging Favre's resolve to see how serious he really is about playing again.

When Mortensen's report broke, Packers cornerback Al Harris was participating in one of several ESPN appearances he was making throughout the day. Asked on "NFL Live" what he knew of Favre's intentions, Harris replied: "I've talked to Brett and I know he has the itch to come back and play. If he will or not, I don't know. But I know he's feeling he wants to play."

I'd love to see him come back, so he can see just how much of a fluke last season actually was.

Nope.

With all due respect, what the f**k are you talking about??? Why is he a loser? He's one of the top 5 best QB's of all-time, there's no denying that Dan.

How many games did Favre start without missing a game? What ever it is, its better than Cal Ripken's #. The guy is in his 40's and he's still better one of the top 5 best QB's TODAY in the NFL!

Ok ok, enough is enough i have to put my two cents in now, Brett Favre WAS one of the best in the league 10 years ago, no denying that, hell he was THE best in the league 10 year ago, but he proved in the playoff game against the Giants thats he is no longer top 5 by any means, maybe top 10 but Agreen please don't boost to put him in the top 5, cause right here (Palmer, Manning, Brady, McNabb, Romo) proves you wrong. Also to those that say McNabb isn't far better then Favre is have to look at what Favre has on his offence and what McNabb doesn't ( Now when i say hes better i mean in this day i mean tomorrow McNabb could go out and play much better on that Packers O then Farve could in 2007). About the consecutive games played in a row, COUGH PAIN KILLERS COUGH. All im going to say to end this is i will not respect the man who has the record for most career interceptions as a top 5 QB of all time period. Like s**t any decent QB couldget hooked on painkillers and play for 20 some odd years and brake all those records too. Has very little to do with actual skill and much more to do with thetime you play, Brady will brake all those records in the next 5 years.