Odom is a Bengal

Kazkal

Well wasn't high on guy but least it opens up the draft more.

Odom's first Bengal sack

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 3, 2008

7 p.m.

Antwan Odom recorded his first sack as a Bengal Monday when he swooped in from Tennessee to give Cincinnati its first jolt in free agency.

Agent Rich Rosa confirmed the five-year deal Monday evening that borders on $30 million with more than $11 million guaranteed.

The Bengals pursued him so aggressively that they literally took him off the plane bound for Phoenix. Rosa said he was headed back from the airport to stay n town Monday nighr.

The 6-5, 274-pound Odom rung up eight sacks in his first season as a starter last year for the Titans and gives the Bengals another lean and athletic pass-rushing threat opposite left end Robert Geathers.

The move appears to keep the Bengals in a 4-3 defense with Odom ticketed to replace Justin Smith at right end and it helps take the sting out of the trades for defensive tackles Shaun Rogers and Dwayne Robertson that fell through.

Smith, who started there the past 107 straight games, signed with San Francisco over the weekend. With his eight sacks, the 26-year-old Odom did what Smith hasn't done since 2004 and did twice in seven years.

But Odom had some big help.

A second-round pick out of Alabama in 2004, Odom formed one of the NFL's more potent sack duos with Kyle Vanden Bosch's dozen sacks in a year the Bengals finished last in the NFL in sacks per pass. The Bengals are banking on the duo of Geathers, who had a career-high 10.5 sacks in 2006, Odom to have the same kind of production.

After getting knocked down in their bids for Rogers and Robertson, they made sure

bengals.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We could have had both !!

Cincy was targeting a DE, and DT in Free Agency.

The Draft Needs haven't changed with this signing.

- If Gholston is there at 9, You Take him.

- If Dorsey or Ellis is there at 9, You Take them.

- When we drafted in '04, we could have taken Odom then!! Just about everyone on this site was in that chatroom screaming for guys like, Dockett, Odom, Starks, etc. etc., But we got Perry-ied !!

Hey Mike Brown , SIGN THIS !!!

We could have had both !!

Cincy was targeting a DE, and DT in Free Agency.

The Draft Needs haven't changed with this signing.

- If Gholston is there at 9, You Take him.

- If Dorsey or Ellis is there at 9, You Take them.

- When we drafted in '04, we could have taken Odom then!! Just about everyone on this site was in that chatroom screaming for guys like, Dockett, Odom, Starks, etc. etc., But we got Perry-ied !!

Hey Mike Brown , SIGN THIS !!!

It never fails to amaze: even when the Bengals do something good, the p*ss-and-moan crowd can't be happy.

Re Odom, props to the Bengals FO.

Heh yeah afterall he IS the 3rd "new Bengal" in the past 4 days and... well we seen how the last two panned out.

The guy has more sacks than Justin over the last two years, definite improvement. He's on his second contract, so he's young and experienced. He looks like the starter to replace Justin. Whats not to like?

Now let the great 3-4 or 4-3 debate resume.

No problems here, he was cheaper than Smith and may very well be better for their system, who knows.

Will be interesting to see how Smith's 40 tackles or so are replaced on defense...because the Bengals still need some LB's and a NT if they want to do this right.

Odom's only played 3.25 seasons, so here's to hoping he has more potential in him, indicators are there.

I LIKE PROACTIVE FA SIGNINGS THAT ARE FOR PRODUCTIVE STARTERS

Now let the great 3-4 or 4-3 debate resume.

No real debate left. It looks like once the Rogers deal fell through, and it became clear that Calvin Pace was going to cost a mint, the Bengals dumped the idea of switching to a 3-4 base and looked to shore things up for the 4-3. I'm sure they'll still play some 3-4 situationally.

The guy has more sacks than Justin over the last two years, definite improvement. He's on his second contract, so he's young and experienced. He looks like the starter to replace Justin. Whats not to like?

Don't get me wrong dude I love it but i'm not getting excited just yet. We had Robertson and Rogers too. Yeah different situation totally i'm still just leery about celebrating just yet. Gimme awhile then i'll be ecstatic. ;)

At the start of FA I would have pegged DE as the first overwhelming need. Not to say I'm happy about the Rogers punking (because that's what it was), but if that had never been a possibility, I would still be happy with getting a young end to replace Smith. No question that Odom benefitted from VDB on the other side, but I'm happy to trade him in for Smith and see if he and Jumpy Jr. can get some push. Now, let's see what we can do about a fat DT.

We definately improved our DL. Odom is a really good DE. He is good at stopping the run, batting balls down at the line and pressuring the QB. Justin sucked at batting balls down and he always over pursued and gave up the edge. He was good at chasing the ball carrier down from behind but he was a bust overall. If we can manage at good DT to pair w/ Peko and our 2 solid DE, we could be dramatically better.

Justin Smith for 6 years at $45 mil

vs.

Antwan Odom for 5 years at $30 mil

Yeah, I'd say this is a good deal. B)

I'd actually say that Mikey overpaid a bit. I don't think Odom was even a starter in Tennessee. He was teamed with Laboy, who signed a 5 year, $22 million deal with the Cards. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

AHH YES, The syndicated quiffs of the Self - Righteous !!

Somebody get Hoosier Cat's panties out his Crawl !!

For the Record , I liked Odom in '04. We all know that, but it still doesn't mean that I have to except the ineptitude of Mike Brown and his bag of losers you love in the FO !

Here's a reality check !

We're not drafting well ! And halfway decent players that we do draft, They're NOT Staying in the Marvin We Trust B.S. factory that you hold onto so well.

Most of the '03 draft class is off the roster or out of the NFL.

Most of the '04 draft class is off the roster or out of the NFL.

- I loved Pollack, Thurman, and Henry ( although I did petition for Justin Tuck ) in the '05 draft. We'll just say that all 3 have been out of the NFL????

Teams that draft well, also seem to keep those players into their second contracts too. You're unhappy with me because I'm unhappy that our team is not only underachieving on the field but off the field and you think that deserves a pat on the fricken back for 1 free agent signing for a hell of a lot of money after the way our front office fails time and time again to land quality players through free agency??

Sounds to me, like You're a Benedict Arnold. You're the hunchback monstrosity from the 300 movie. A Judas Iscariot if I ever saw one, because people don't see the Bengals as you do.

I'm a Patriot. I will be loyal to the team even if it means excommunicating the ownership and management!

Who Dey MuthaF*****ckers !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

AHH YES, The syndicated quiffs of the Self - Righteous !!

Coming from you, that's rich.

Somebody get Hoosier Cat's panties out his Crawl !!

Somebody get chrish's head out of his rear.

For the Record , I liked Odom in '04. We all know that, but it still doesn't mean that I have to except the ineptitude of Mike Brown and his bag of losers you love in the FO !

Yeah, I love the FO. :rolleyes: Let's see, you like Odom, we signed Odom, and all you can do is bitch that we didn't draft him several years ago? There's just no satisfying some people.

Here's a reality check !

No, here's a reality check: the Bengals just made a good FA signing. And all you can do is complain.