no Chad trade and Justin will be tagged

icehole3

My betting money is on Madieu getting the tag

Mind you, if I'm running the show, no one gets the tag....so all I am betting is that if anyone gets it (and Marvin says he will do so) it'll be Madieu

Why we keep tagging and paying these average players as "franchise" is beyond me. Other teams are tagging star/superstar quality players.

Other stuff from the interview, via curnutte...

-- Injuries at running back make it an area where the team will investigate adding new players, though Lewis added that he is encouraged that Rudi Johnson will return as an invigorated, re-energized player after a 2007 season marred by a hamstring injury. Lewis called Johnson a "prideful young man."

-- The Bengals are hopeful to get production from oft-injured Chris Perry but were "a little bit unsure" about Kenny Irons at running back.

-- "(Pass) rushers on defense, that has to be a priority," Lewis said. "You have to be able to affect the football game by knocking the quarterback around."

-- Tight end is an area that the team might finally act on, adding an athletic pass receiving tight end and teaching him how to block as he matures physically. Still, Lewis praised the trio of tight ends who ended the season on the roster, starter Reggie Kelly and backups Daniel Coats and Nate Lawrie. "We might take a lesser physical player at this point and get a better receiver," he said.

-- The team would again, as it did in 2007, stay away from draft picks who have character issues. "You don't allow the discount (in where the player becomes available in the draft) to play a part in the decision," Lewis said.

-- The offseason strength and conditioning program is likely to start March 24.

Random Chad thoughts...

I heard Marvin and Mike the first time they said there would be no trade, and immediately backed off of almost all of my "Trade Chad" rhetoric. That doesn't mean I no longer support the idea, because I do. However, I don't doubt the sincerity or honesty of Mike Brown or Marvin Lewis and I'm convinced the Bengals won't consider a trade now. For better or worse I believe they'll attempt to wait Chad out, betting the outcome of the coming season on their belief that Chad isn't the douchebag that he appears to be, and will act like a professional when the whistle blows.

That said, the trade talk won't go away simply because the Bengals want it to. After all, Chad Johnson will make certain that it doesn't, and even if he swallows his tounge for a few months it's almost a given that Chad Johnson will now play the rest of his days in Cincinnati under a microscope...with trade talk almost certain to begin again at the first sign of trouble. And who amongst us thinks that day will never come?

In addition, it's fairly certain that Chad Johnson has badly damaged his reputation in Cincy, and in the near future will have to respond to fan criticism directly. I won't speculate on what form that criticism might come in, but how Chad responds will be critical, and even his supporters have to admit that to date Chad has shown an alarming lack of mental toughness.

Finally, I understand Marvin's defense of Chad, and find fault with the idea that the criticism of Chad is unfair and undeserved. It isn't. Worse, it would have died down along time ago if Chad would stop fanning the flames.

Mind you, if I'm running the show, no one gets the tag....so all I am betting is that if anyone gets it (and Marvin says he will do so) it'll be Madieu

(((Shrug)))

My first impression after reading the article is contract negotiations with ALL of the Bengals UFA's are going poorly, and Lewis has no faith the team can sign all of the players they want to keep. Thus, somebody is getting the tag. Who that player might be is anyones guess and a nearly equal argument can be made for each of the options, but in Madieu's example the strongest argument might be the relatively cheap cost of tagging a FS when compared to a DE or OT.

Franchise tag on Andrews - lol.

Not being able to re-sign Madeiu, or expecting not to be able to, should say a lot about what the players really think of playing here. The Steelers want him for a reason I suppose. Mike Brown refuses to commit and slightly over-pay someone for more than one year, just as he did in the 90's, unless you are a star at one of his coveted skill positions.

At least Marvin wants a receiving TE. I dont' doubt Marvin's football/personnel smarts/competence, but i think his hands are tied tight, while the franchise gives everyone the notion everything's in his hands - which is utter B.S. All he can do it choose between the scraps he's fed.

My first impression after reading the article is contract negotiations with ALL of the Bengals UFA's are going poorly, and Lewis has no faith the team can sign all of the players they want to keep. Thus, somebody is getting the tag.

Yeah, that was my take as well. Depressingly, it doesn't appear that there are many people who actually want to play here... :(

I either want Chad gone, or to be totally focused, devoted to winning, willing to put his "look at me" agenda second to the good of the team, and with the maturity to keep his head in the game.

If keeping Chad around means more of the crap we've been seeing, ship his ass.

As for Justin...what the hell could possibly convince anyone he's top 5 at his position?

My first impression after reading the article is contract negotiations with ALL of the Bengals UFA's are going poorly, and Lewis has no faith the team can sign all of the players they want to keep. Thus, somebody is getting the tag.

Yeah, that was my take as well. Depressingly, it doesn't appear that there are many people who actually want to play here... :(

My take goes like this. Justin Smith has no interest in remaining a Bengal and as a result has resisted any and all attempts the Bengals have made to extend him to a long-term contract over the last three years. Thus, their options in regard to Smith are limited to using the franchise tag, a move that solves nothing in regards to long-term planning, and has as many short-term drawbacks as positives. Personally, I think they've played out the hand as far as they can and now have to move on, but doing so probably dictates the team uses a very high draft pick on a replacement, and that's fine with me. But if the Bengals want to address other needs it may be unacceptable.

As for Williams and Andrews, I doubt it's a matter of either player not wanting to play for the Bengals and more of an issue of players finally being in a position to sign their all-important 2nd contract, and needing/wanting to get the absolute best deal possible. And that's especially true for Andrews, a player who to date has earned relative peanuts, and now finds himself in a position to cash in big or perhaps very big.

Fair or unfair the concept of loyalty has no place in any of these negotiations, and things are complicated by the fact that all of the players involved can best be described as good but not great. Or if you prefer, valuable but not priceless.

If Justin is tagged then the only way I will be able to reconcile this to any degree is if Mike and Marvin are committed to getting Dorsey or Ellis in the draft, preferably Ellis, and they know Odell and Pollack are coming back.

If Madieu ends up in Pittsburgh, his game will improve. Maybe not pro bowl level but it will improve. Good luck Marvin White. Please be the tits.

Every year this team makes such bone headed moves its unreal, tagging Justin lol lol i mean what a great guy but 2 sacks in a year or whatever he gets what good is that. Unless they think that Zimmer can make him into a better pash rusher maybe thats why they want him lol yea right. Every year we think they can get a big name free agent and well they dont i really hope this year they decide to spend there money on some people that might actully help this team. As for Chad i love the guy, but now im so tired of hearing this so if this isnt gonna stop then please get rid of him get what u can for him and move on and maybe thats what this team needs so everyone play toghter as a team instead of playing for themselves cause thats the only way there gonna win.

They can't possibly tag Justin again. Paying 10 mil to an unproductive guy would set off a locker room riot led by Chad and TJ, probowlers who want new contracts.

Our UFAs have no incentive to sign new deals before the start of free agency. The Bengals aren't known for making great, preemptive offers. Rather they lowball the players, Landon frex, and the players and agents know it. Thus they will test the market before considering re-signing in Cincinnati.

There is a lack of quality FA DE's this year, Justin will stay a Bengal. We may draft a DE at #1, which would help, but I don't think we're quite ready to loose Justin. Hopefully with the new Def. Cord. and his new scheme Smith will shine and have a career season. He has the ability, but there's one thing lacking - Support. You can have every skill imaginable, but if your missing one key asset, your not gonna get it done. Justin has been lacking support season after season. I'm not saying he's an Osi Umenyora or Micheal Strahan... Justin's a quality end. There really isn't much out there to replace him with... Don't mention Suggs, it's not going to happen.

They can't possibly tag Justin again. Paying 10 mil to an unproductive guy would set off a locker room riot led by Chad and TJ, probowlers who want new contracts.

Our UFAs have no incentive to sign new deals before the start of free agency. The Bengals aren't known for making great, preemptive offers. Rather they lowball the players, Landon frex, and the players and agents know it. Thus they will test the market before considering re-signing in Cincinnati.

I don't think TJ would have a problem with it because he knows he's under payed,He's alrdy said next he will go to the highest bidder.

So bengals wanna keep em gonna have to offer him top WR money

There is a lack of quality FA DE's this year, Justin will stay a Bengal. We may draft a DE at #1, which would help, but I don't think we're quite ready to loose Justin. Hopefully with the new Def. Cord. and his new scheme Smith will shine and have a career season.

Good point, and not an aspect of this equation that many here, including myself, have considered. Personally I thought Brenahan's defensive schemes were usually inadequate, if not just totally wrong as they obviously were in the first Cleveland game.

Bottom line...I wish Zimmer much success, and he establishes an identity for the defense. God knows they need one. :bengal:

My guesses are (in this order) #1 The Fans. #2 The Local Media. #3 TJ JACKSON.

Christ

The fans are responsible for his extended temper tantrum, Mr. Green?

Danimal says that Rosenhaus is soley responsible.

Chad bears no responsibility for anything.

Get real, guys.

Unf*cking believable.

Yes. Chad is the victim here, you uncaring bastard. Hhmph!