Because we need another Chad thread...

HairOnFire

Let's get this out of the way at the start. The following is a recap, not a transcript....and while many of the quotes are word for word I didn't have the time or energy to include everything that was said.

Enjoy.

MT - Introduces Chad as "the TD celebrater of all time".

CJ - Those were the good days.

MT - It seems like the punt and proposal were from another time.

CJ - Yeah, it's been a rough one this past year.

MT - We can talk about the fuzzy stuff if you want. You're here with Degree and we'll get to that.

[pause]

MT - What's going on? Do you want out?

CJ - Do I want out? I didn't say that. I think it came from THAT side first.

MT - Do you think they want you out?

CJ - It came from THAT side first. During the season. I remember the Chris Mortenson report on ESPN. A prominent source said that I would be dealt during the offseason. You know there was alot of things that went on inhouse during the season that of course I can't discuss here. But I'm going to let the offseason take it's course and let Drew take care of his business.

Tirico asks what the Bengals have done.

CJ - When it gets to the point where things are leaked...there's always some truth. Always.

MT - But not the whole truth. Not the complete truth.

CJ - Not the whole truth, no. But always enough to lead you in the right direction.

Tirico and Chad discuss what would make Chad happy. He answers playoffs and a chance to win a Super Bowl. They go back and forth like this for awhile. Finally, Tirico asks if Chad is still having fun.

CJ - I'm not allowed to be me. We're losing because of the antics, because of my mouth, because of the same things everyone embraced before? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? We all know why things aren't right. But I was used as a scapegoat. That's alright. I'm fine with that. I was used as a problem. That's alright. I'm fine with that. I was used as a cancer. That's alright. I'm fine with that. There was an article written..."is he worth the trouble"...and that's alright too. Now that the season is over...I've saved every last one of those things that I heard. Things that were written...that were said on TV. The seasons over. Now the problem can be dealt with. That's it. That's all I said.

MT - How can it play out that you could come back to Cincinnati?

CJ - It's not up to me. Next question.

Tirico presses for more.

CJ - I told you it's not up to me. I told you what would work for me. An opportunity to get to te playoffs and win a Super Bowl. That's it.

Scott Van Pelt jumps in.

VP - What would an opportunity like this [super Bowl stage] mean to you?

CJ - A lot. The clock is ticking. I'm like a 40-year old woman who hasn't had a baby.

MT - I wish you hadn't gone there. [Laughing]

CJ - I just turned 30. In the next minute they'll tell me I'm too old.

MT - How's your body feel?

CJ - I think I've taken five hits in seven years. I feel pretty good.

MT - You mean you've only taken five major hits, right?

CJ - Yeah, five clean shots.

Tirico asks if Chad's antics overshadow his hard work, and wonders if he's prefer a different image.

CJ - I don't want to be known as a hard worker. Everybody in the NFL works hard. I like the way it is.

Van Pelt jumps in again.

VP - What do you need to get better at?

CJ - Find a way to get MY team to the playoffs. That's it.

VP - And you're willing to shoulder that burden?

CJ - It has to be on me. I'm the reason we're losing...so I've got to be the answer to getting us there.

The tone and energy of the interview change quickly as the conversation switches to Chad's involvment with Degree, his website Trashtalk.com, and his coming acting debut. He then says that he'd love to see Randy Moss win a championship and "shut up his critics"...would love to see the Patriots go undefeated....and if they don't would be happy that Eli got a chance to "shut up his critics".

Chad is opportunistically taking advantage of the media hurricane otherwise known as SuperBowl weekend to promote himself.

Sportscasters are usually the dumbest of the talking heads so no danger of actually looking foolish. He and Drew are promoting Chad, thats all. He certainly is making hisself popular with ESPN, something to remember has his career enters his last few yeas.

I just find it hard to believe that winning a Super Bowl is #1 on Chad's agenda. I'm not saying that he does not want to win a Super Bowl, but he would have to be right there, center stage while his team wins a Super Bowl. His clock is ticking, yet he's pimping himself to the Dolphins. That doesn't strike me as the fastest way to the Lombardi trophy.

Unfortunately, it may be time for CJ to go. I just wish he would quit promoting himself. IMHO he's killing his damn trade value.

Chad: 'It’s been bad'

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Doing his best impersonation of former Bengals running back Corey Dillon, wide receiver Chad Johnson took his trade-me road show to the Super Bowl on Wednesday and told radio talk-show host Jim Rome that he's unhappy in Cincinnati.

The interview was similar to one Johnson did on ESPN’s “Mike & Mike in the Morning” on Jan. 12.

On Tuesday, The Enquirer’s Bengals blog linked to a recent clip from the NFL Network in which Johnson made a brief comment about the possibility of playing for his hometown Miami Dolphins.

Here is what Johnson said to Rome:

Question: Do you want to be traded?

Answer: I’m going to leave that to the Shark (Drew Rosenhaus, Johnson’s agent).

Q: Are you happy in Cincinnati?

A: I’m not allowed to say. I get the blame, the so-called best player, I’m the problem. Someone in-house is spreading this. Maybe they want me to quiet down (and) stop being me. That is not going to happen. I can’t function that way. I tried it. It sucked. There was no excitement.

Q: Can they make it right with you?

A: I think I could be here all season long, on your show.

Q: Is it blown up or fixable?

A: I’m leaving that to Drew. It’s been bad (with the Bengals). I’m the scapegoat. A lot of stuff in-house is happening I’m not fond of. It doesn’t sit well with me. I have fun. I’m a little outlandish. I produce. I do everything to help us win.

Q: Who does have your back?

A: T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) has my back. Carson (Palmer). That’s it. That’s really it.”

Johnson also expressed his unhappiness today on ESPN Radio's Mike Tirico Show.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis declined today to comment directly on Johnson’s radio interview.

He said he stood by comments he made Jan. 16 at a news conference that introduced Mike Zimmer as the Bengals’ new defensive coordinator.

“He didn’t say anything different – that he was unduly chastised for being this or that,” Lewis said at that time. “He’s going to go back and be a pro and go forward and play. As I said then, there will be no trade of Chad Johnson. Repeat it again.”

Johnson signed a contract extension that was negotiated by Rosenhaus in April 2006. Johnson remains under contract with the Bengals through 2011.

Johnson has declined to speak to Cincinnati-area reporters, save a paid weekly installment during the season on the local FOX TV affiliate, since October.

Johnson has declined to speak to Cincinnati-area reporters, save a paid weekly installment during the season on the local FOX TV affiliate, since October.

What if Chad talked and nobody listened or cared? :horse::seehearspeak:

The Super Bowl pre-crap is becoming more like a political primary. Everyone's got an agenda. WTF, is Chad doing there anyway?

WTF, is Chad doing there anyway?

Just making his rounds, yammering into every microphone and camera he can find. His need for attention has gone beyond being just a personality defect, it borders on mental illness.

I know he is playing in a touch football game for some promotion. It will include a bunch of retired players, and some active ones. The one name I remember is David Garard.

Just imagine the media frenzy if Chad ever actually makes it to the Super Bowl as a player. Two weeks of all Chad, all the time. His teammates would, of course, eventually kill him. :lol:

. That doesn't strike me as the fastest way to the Lombardi trophy.

It's going home for him the team's being led by a proven winner by a orgination that is willing to do what it takes to win,I'd say dolphins are on the right track compared to us...ya they were crap last year but teams can improve....well most teams.

If your having a hard time understanding what's going on with Chad, this quote pretty much says it all:

"I'm not allowed to be me. We're losing because of the antics, because of my mouth, because of the same things everyone embraced before? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? We all know why things aren't right. But I was used as a scapegoat. That's alright. I'm fine with that. I was used as a problem. That's alright. I'm fine with that. I was used as a cancer. That's alright. I'm fine with that. There was an article written..."is he worth the trouble"...and that's alright too. Now that the season is over...I've saved every last one of those things that I heard ( I'm sure he's also refering to what some of the fans have had to say too. Wouldn't you do the same if you were CJ?). Things that were written...that were said on TV. The seasons over. Now the problem can be dealt with. That's it. That's all I said."

Hopefully the organization will apologize and make things better so we can move forward into next season with 85. I knew all the negativity throughout the season would come back during this offseason, I wasn't sure exactly how... I don't blame Chad for doing what he's doing.

The worst part of it all, without Chad, TJ's not as good and CP's not as good.. Plain and simple.

Chad has went on National broadcasts and said the same old stupid, uninformed,

tired, lame and played out s**t. Mortenson made it clear that the

team wanted Chad to tone it down. Mortensen SPECULATED that

if he didn`t, the team MAY try and trade him. Chad has totally ignored

that though. And keeps on crying about something that wasn`t EVER true.

He looks like a complete immature dumbass right now.

Quotes from Chad on October 22nd, right after Mortensen`s report

of a trade . . .

"You know me," Johnson said. "So there's no need to pay that any attention. It's the nature of the beast. When you're against me, you add fuel to my fire."

Johnson said head coach Marvin Lewis delivered an uplifting message after the game.

"It was a very positive speech," Johnson said. "He said, 'It's us against the world. We can't worry about anything happening on the outside. All we have is each other.' "

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...07bennotes.html

Quote from Chris Mortensen on October 24th 2007 . . .

ESPN's Chris Mortensen doesn't think his report citing a prominent Bengals source on Sunday regarding Chad Johnson was misquoted, but he does think it was misinterpreted.

"There were two parts to it," Mortensen said Wednesday. "The first part dealt with the source saying that because of Chad's passion and pride, they have to figure out a way to deal with him. The second part was my analysis that the discussions could bring them to a crossroads and that could involve a trade. At no time did a Bengals source tell me they could possibly trade him."

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6386

Quote from Mike Brown on November 4th 2007 . . .

"He isn't going anywhere," Brown said of Johnson. "Chad Johnson is a tremendous football player. We're glad he's here. He's an integral part of what we do."

The trade story has since been doused by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who said his top Bengals source never mentioned trading Johnson. And Brown threw more cold water on it, disputing the notion that Johnson's behavior outweighs his talent.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6416

Now Chad is saying the rumors hurt him. That no one

ever had his back ect ect bulls**t ect.

Someone needs to send the quote from Mortensen to Chad.

Because obviously he missed it, and Rosenhaus has failed to

point it out to him . . .

This is REALLY getting old. And I would gladly take the

7th overall pick from the Pats for him . . .

He'd like to catch on in Foxborough

By Mike Reiss

Globe Staff / January 31, 2008

PHOENIX - The Patriots made an unexpected splash trading for Randy Moss last April. Might Bengals receiver Chad Johnson be next?

The thought was tantalizing to Johnson yesterday at Super Bowl XLII.

"It would be fun; I would love to play there," he said. "But right now, I'm in Cincinnati. That's where I am."

Johnson, one of the NFL's top pass catchers, doesn't seem happy about that.

As part of his role as a pitchman for Degree, the personable and outspoken Johnson conducted several interviews at Super Bowl media headquarters yesterday, and it wasn't difficult to detect the frustration he's experiencing with the Bengals. He was passively campaigning for a trade.

While Johnson has expressed interest in playing for other clubs, this is believed to be the first time he's openly conveyed his desire to land in New England.

When approached by a Boston reporter, Johnson said: "I'm going to be playing for your team next year." When the reporter laughed, Johnson put his hands together as if he were praying and looked to the heavens.

Johnson has little leverage, but might be trying to create a stir to force the Bengals' hand. In April 2006, he signed an extension through 2011, and top Bengals officials have stated he is not on the trading block.

Johnson's frustration stems from a lack of victories, and in a radio interview on "The Jim Rome Show" yesterday, he noted that he didn't feel everyone in the Bengals organization was fully supportive of him. Asked to elaborate later in the day, Johnson said: "I don't want to talk about it anymore."

But he was more than willing to speak about Moss, adding that the former Viking and Raider landed in a situation he would envy.

"He was given an opportunity to win," Johnson said. "You really know what you're going to get when you enter an organization like that, one that has won for a long period of time. He got the opportunity and got himself out of a bad situation he was in, and got to a good one."

To do so, Moss accepted a reduction in salary, signing a one-year, $3 million deal with an additional $2 million in incentives. If a trade for Johnson were to come to fruition, financial considerations wouldn't be as much of a factor.

Johnson is due a manageable base salary of $3 million in 2008. His deal also includes a $250,000 workout bonus, with $300,000 in incentives. The base salaries are $4.5 million in 2009, $5 million in 2010, and $6 million in 2011.

Considering that the "franchise" salary for top receivers was $7.6 million in 2007, Johnson would be a financial value for any club.

The Patriots' receiving situation has an uncertain forecast.

Moss is a free agent, and while he's expressed his desire to return, those words will truly hold meaning once the negotiating process begins. The sides cannot consummate a deal until early March - when the new NFL year starts - because Moss restructured his deal within the current league year and players can only restructure or extend their contracts once a season.

Donte' Stallworth has $8 million worth of option bonuses due in February, and it's unlikely the Patriots will exercise them, which would make him a free agent.

Kelley Washington has a more manageable $4 million option bonus that would extend his contract through 2011, and the question would be whether the team wants to invest that for a top special teams player who participated in only 37 total offensive snaps this season.

Jabar Gaffney is also a free agent, while Troy Brown's deal expires and he could retire.

Only Wes Welker (signed through 2011) and Chad Jackson (2009) are assured of returning to the receiving corps next season.

While trading for Johnson seems like a long shot, consider this hypothetical: The Patriots dangle their first-round draft choice, No. 7 overall, in an attempt to entice the Bengals to deal him.

The Patriots could justify such a move, because they'd have to pay the draft pick about $17 million in bonuses/guarantees, an exorbitant figure for an unproven player. In return, they'd receive a player in his prime coming off a 93-catch season.

Meanwhile, the Bengals might be inclined to make such a swap, adding youth and an impact defensive player (a top need), while at the same time eliminating a distraction.

At this point, it's all fantasy chatter, but what makes it intriguing is that the player involved is generating discussion.

After whistling with glee when asked what it would be like to catch passes from Tom Brady, Johnson touched on his admiration for Bill Belichick.

"I love him. He's like my dad, the dad I never had," Johnson said. "There is just something about it. I never had the chance to work with him except at the Pro Bowl. I just fell in love with the guy. I have a lot of respect for him."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ough/?page=full

If your having a hard time understanding what's going on with Chad, this quote pretty much says it all:

"I'm not allowed to be me. We're losing because of the antics, because of my mouth, because of the same things everyone embraced before? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? We all know why things aren't right. But I was used as a scapegoat. That's alright. I'm fine with that. I was used as a problem. That's alright. I'm fine with that. I was used as a cancer. That's alright. I'm fine with that. There was an article written..."is he worth the trouble"...and that's alright too. Now that the season is over...I've saved every last one of those things that I heard ( I'm sure he's also refering to what some of the fans have had to say too. Wouldn't you do the same if you were CJ?). Things that were written...that were said on TV. The seasons over. Now the problem can be dealt with. That's it. That's all I said."

Hopefully the organization will apologize and make things better so we can move forward into next season with 85. I knew all the negativity throughout the season would come back during this offseason, I wasn't sure exactly how... I don't blame Chad for doing what he's doing.

Yes, it does say it all. It says that he's blaming the organization for a misinterpreted, speculative, third-party report made by Chris Mortenson, and for various other things said in the media. That tells me that Chad is a whiny, petulant woman who lacks reading comprehension skills. It tells me he also lacks basic logic since he's trashing the team while cozying up to the very people in the media who made those reports he's trashing. Nobody ever said Chad was smart.

The organization has nothing to apologize for, as far as I can see. Chad needs to apologize for being a distraction, throwing his QB under the bus on national TV, dropping passes, and running bad routes. He needs to shut up and do his damned job.

Yes, it does say it all. It says that he's blaming the organization for a misinterpreted, speculative, third-party report made by Chris Mortenson, and for various other things said in the media. That tells me that Chad is a whiny, petulant woman who lacks reading comprehension skills. It tells me he also lacks basic logic since he's trashing the team while cozying up to the very people in the media who made those reports he's trashing. Nobody ever said Chad was smart.

The organization has nothing to apologize for, as far as I can see. Chad needs to apologize for being a distraction, throwing his QB under the bus on national TV, dropping passes, and running bad routes. He needs to shut up and do his damned job.

AGreen couldn't have done a worse job explaining it, and DCBengalsFan could not have explained it better.

This is REALLY getting old. And I would gladly take the

7th overall pick from the Pats for him . . .

I fear I may have lost track.

Philadelphia, New York, Miami, Boston, Carolina.

Is that it?

Wait a minute, I forgot Dallas.

And you can't forget Dallas.

They've got Jerry Jones, Chad's buddy TO, and TWO first round draft picks.

What's that you say?

I've just started another "Trade Chad" internet rumor?

Well damn, I've got to be more careful....

....or risk being named as an "inside source" by PFT.

:lmao:

Wait a minute, I forgot Dallas.

And you can't forget Dallas.

They've got Jerry Jones, Chad's buddy TO, and TWO first round draft picks.

Hair, it's not a rumor people AREN'T already thinking about. Jerry Jones loves bad boys. Dion Sanders, T.O...... Ocho Cinco? It's not that far fetched to think about. T.O. gets double coverage, Whitten is their go to guy and usually really good, Crayton is growing into a good WR but as shown in the playoffs isn't there yet. Terry Glenn is likely gone. CJ is just as good as T.O. and gets double coverage as well. Well teams can't doubleteam both. If they do that leaves Whitten wide open. Leaves Crayton wide open where he can catch. Overconcern yourself with the throw you leave Barber open to run it.

Did I mention Jerry Jones loves bad boys? If there is a chance Chad is traded you can bet J. Jones will be offering up a sweet deal. Likely more then the other teams leary of a player who is trouble. I say ask for a 1st round pick and Terry Glenn or Julius Jones and barter from there.

That has to be taken as a shot at Carson . . .

Johnson also was on WSCR in Chicago, during which he said he'd make quarterbacks Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton into superstars. Johnson also said, "I've worked myself to a point to where I make the quarterback look good regardless of what he does or where he puts the ball."

http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_wind...audioId=1380129

Wow... yeah he HAS to go at this point. I still like him, want him a Bengal. But he's gotta go. Cincy needs a talented WR with a good attitude. Even if it isn't a CJ or TO or Moss if he's solid with a good attitude and will work to be better and help his teammates get better that's an improvement. Chad is unhappy in Cincy, his teammates aren't gonna be happy with him around for certain now. Time to move on.

AGreen couldn't have done a worse job explaining it, and DCBengalsFan could not have explained it better.

Those aren't my words, they're coming from the man himself TJ. Thats how he feels, not me, so somebody in the organization better make it right or he's leaving, period...

Chad won't be the only one to leave either. You think TJ will stay if Chad, his best friend, leaves. Your out of your freaking mind. Then who would be next, I'm sure Henry will want the hell out of this place too... Your looking at our whole offense completely falling apart within the next two years.

Without TJ and Chad, Carson is a Chad Pennington!

"throwing his QB under the bus on national TV"

I saw this quote in one of the replies to this thread, and I had to have a rebuttal. If you think Chad should just STFU, and play ball, I can agree with that. But to say that he threw CP under the bus on national TV is just plain wrong. Please show me one time where he threw CP under the bus. And I don't mean their argument they had on national TV with each other when they went into the lockeroom for halftime. That is not throwing somebody under the bus. That is two professionals argueing over who was right or wrong on a pass route. If you want to know what throwing somebody under the bus looks and sounds like, look no further than TO's rants to the media about Jeff Garcia and Donovan McNabb, or if you prefer to look in-house, look back at Corey Dillon's rant on the Best Damn Sports Show in March or April of 2004. I belive that is when he referred to Willie Anderson's weight in a derrogatory fashion. I believe he called Willie a fat slob, not sure if that was the exact quote, but it has the jist.

Those aren't my words, they're coming from the man himself TJ. Thats how he feels, not me, so somebody in the organization better make it right or he's leaving, period...

Chad won't be the only one to leave either. You think TJ will stay if Chad, his best friend, leaves. Your out of your freaking mind. Then who would be next, I'm sure Henry will want the hell out of this place too... Your looking at our whole offense completely falling apart within the next two years.

That`s just dumb.

Anyway, what does the Organization have to aplogize for ?

Chad started out saying the rumors hurt him.

Even though the rumor was cleared up MONTHS AGO.

Now it has turned to he just wants to win.

Like the other 52 players on the roster, the coaches,

the Front Office doesn`t.

Chad is the one in the wrong here. Accept it.

Aww crissakes Green, now you are just being idiotic about your man-love for Chad. You can't be serious with that bullsh*t.

You make too big of a deal about the receivers, your man-love for Chad notwithstanding. The problems Carson had this year stem from the total lack of a rush game. You give Carson an OC who understands the importance of running the football and who makes the opposing defense respect and defend it, Carson will carve up any defense.

Give us Adrian Peterson and an OC who knows how to use him and Carson would make the Pro-bowl with Danny Farmer and Kevin Walter replacing crying boy.

Pf**k Chad, I'm done with this girly boy.