mock draft #1

kneepit

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/20...t.cfm?writer=33

These guys have the Bengals taking:

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Defense, defense and more defense. This is the call out of Cincinnati. The Bengals defense was dreadful last year. They need help at DT, LB and CB. They could take a long look at USC linebacker Keith Rivers here also. A shut down corner is a requirement in the AFC and Jenkins has the potential to become one. He is very fluid and can cover any WR. He needs some mechanical corrections on his drops, but the athletic ability is there. Has the talent and intangibles to become a really good NFL cornerback.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/20...t.cfm?writer=33

These guys have the Bengals taking:

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Three words: NO. F**KING. WAY.

Those boys at fftoolbox need to be reminded this is 2008, not 2007 when the second consecutive #1 for the Bengals was a CB. Just goes to show that every Mock draft is as real as me taking Romo's spot in Jessica Simpson's fave 5.

Not too fast...I could see them taking the best cb available as opposed to the 2nd or 3rd best lineman or linebacker.

Although, three straight years of taking a cb with the first pick is kind of crazy.

I think only CB and QB are completely off the board at #9 ... and that is what makes this so laughable. That said, this pick better be a homerun ... even if it is traded, which could easily be a homerun as well. It's pretty simple ... CB and QB aside, they should know who they want and anticipate a trade offer. Should be a can't lose situation. Then again ... I won't go there.

"You can never have too many cornerbacks." - Coach Lewis

Yeah you can have too many #1 picks as CB though. Right now the Bengals have 3 of them. Stupidity to draft another #1 in 2008.

Right now the Dline is likely to lose a couple from JSmith, BRob, John T and Frostee. The line is screaming "Feed ME!".

I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft 3 Dlinemen this year given they will have some extra picks. If Odell comes back, that takes LB out of the mix given 2 years of good behavior. They need another RB, WR and always Olinemen.

Start taking secondary sometime after round 4.

Why would you put so much of your cap space into one position group though? Can you imagine the combined signing bonuses and salaries in 2-3 years for Hall, JJ and Jenkins?

When you are strong in the trenches, it has a domino effect on the rest of the team/players, and that is something the Bengals' should concentrate on going forward as a way of rebuilding this team quickly.

Protect your franchise QB #1

Upgrade your pass rush as priority #2

Those two things will bring more success than a RB, CB or WR will any day IMO.

I don't see how the Bengals' can NOT draft a DT or DE or LB with their first pick this year - it's a gaping hole/weakeness they cannot avoid or ignore any longer on day one.

That particular mock also has the best free safety in the draft sitting at #10, that would seem a better fit with Madieu a FA.

They also have only taken one OLineman at this point so there should be plenty to work with, I can't see a high first round pick being spent on a nickel corner, no matter how good.

:sure: Great quote, but it doesn't say anything about too many first round cornerbacks.

Why would you put so much of your cap space into one position group though? Can you imagine the combined signing bonuses and salaries in 2-3 years for Hall, JJ and Jenkins?

I agree, with the caveat it's 3-4 years, not 2-3 (JJ is a UFA in 2011, Hall in 2012). But that said, we're assuming here that Hall and JJ will both be worth big money when their current deals are up.

Not sure how serious to take this one. After all, it's a fan's 2 round mock that includes several underclassmen who haven't declared, incorrectly spells the names of several prospects, and includes several prospects I consider mid-round picks.

BTW, the mock also has the Bengals selecting Pitt OT Jeff Otah in the 2nd round. Personally, I don't have much love for the idea of drafting any OT this high, but if it makes sense....doesn't it make MORE sense to draft the higher rated offensive lineman in the 1st, Boise State's Ryan Clady, rather than adding another CB?

When you are strong in the trenches, it has a domino effect on the rest of the team/players, and that is something the Bengals' should concentrate on going forward as a way of rebuilding this team quickly.

Protect your franchise QB #1

Upgrade your pass rush as priority #2

Those two things will bring more success than a RB, CB or WR will any day IMO.

I don't see how the Bengals' can NOT draft a DT or DE or LB with their first pick this year - it's a gaping hole/weakeness they cannot avoid or ignore any longer on day one.

Couldn't agree more. I want the first day picks to average between 275 and 300 lbs. Give me a steady diet of LB, DE, DT, OL, and TE (heaven forbid!).

Agreed we simply cannot afford to take anothe CB in round 1, especially with him being a nickle corner. IMHO we should go after BPA on the board at all times, and look to trade down to acquire extra picks. Ideal situation would have us drop back to around 15 and gain an extra 3rd round pick. If we hold steady then these are my guys:

1) Vernon Gholston(DE)

2)Calais Campbell(DE)

3)Kenny Williams(FS)

4)Ryan Clady(OT)

5)Sedrick Ellis(DT)

Well, that's true - when you have the Bengals' inept pass rush. You have a pass rush, suddenly you don't need a Champ Bailey level CB to cover a guy.

That is a thousand times better than Lewis's lame statement. BTW, how did Marvin ever get the lable of "Genius" anyway? Was he a graduate from the Brian Belick School of Geniuses? :rolleyes:

Well, that's true - when you have the Bengals' inept pass rush. You have a pass rush, suddenly you don't need a Champ Bailey level CB to cover a guy.

That is a thousand times better than Lewis's lame statement. BTW, how did Marvin ever get the lable of "Genius" anyway? Was he a graduate from the Brian Belick School of Geniuses? :rolleyes:

Was able to win a superbowl with the ravens house of studs?

You give me Lewis, Siragusa, McCrary, Sharper, and McAlister, and I'll be a genius too. ;)

And yes, that's the same school. Randy Moss and Chris Carter will make you a genius too.

Haven't thought too much into this but a CB like Jenkins may be what the Bengals Need. JJ or Hall would make a great nickel, Jenkins has the ability and will become better than both of these guys. Draft Jenkins, Trade Deltha. Draft a D-lineman with that pick you get from Deltha. Bring in a DE and DT free agent and a Safety... Rd. 1 Jenkins (At the #9 overall why would you NOT take a #1 overall skill player?) Rd. 2 LB Rd. 3 DE/DT Rd. 4 OL Rd. 5 LB Rd. 6 DT/DE Rd. 7 OL

Through the draft our Secondary corner play would be GREAT for several years, possibly the best in the ever-evolving passing NFL. Build the D-Line with 2 Free Agents. Peko and Geathers can get there job done. We get back Odell, A. Brooks (possibly Pollack) and Landon Johnson along with Jeanty and a Round 2 (2008) rookie LB'r and our LB core is 110% better.

I just don't see the Bengals selecting a Sedrick Ellis with a #9 overall pick. Mikey likes to get the most bang-for-the-buck. Jenkins will provide that! So will McFadden, but I really don't expect McFadden to slip to #9.

Distinct possibility that Sedric Ellis could wind up a Raider replacing Sapp unless Chris Long is on the board and Al Davis goes for a pass rusher to team with Derrick Burgess..

No way in hell to determine the top ten picks of this draft .. Too many options and team needs for the bottom dwellers.