mock draft #1

kneepit

Haven't thought too much into this but a CB like Jenkins may be what the Bengals Need. JJ or Hall would make a great nickel, Jenkins has the ability and will become better than both of these guys. Draft Jenkins, Trade Deltha. Draft a D-lineman with that pick you get from Deltha. Bring in a DE and DT free agent and a Safety... Rd. 1 Jenkins (At the #9 overall why would you NOT take a #1 overall skill player?) Rd. 2 LB Rd. 3 DE/DT Rd. 4 OL Rd. 5 LB Rd. 6 DT/DE Rd. 7 OL

Through the draft our Secondary corner play would be GREAT for several years, possibly the best in the ever-evolving passing NFL. Build the D-Line with 2 Free Agents. Peko and Geathers can get there job done. We get back Odell, A. Brooks (possibly Pollack) and Landon Johnson along with Jeanty and a Round 2 (2008) rookie LB'r and our LB core is 110% better.

I just don't see the Bengals selecting a Sedrick Ellis with a #9 overall pick. Mikey likes to get the most bang-for-the-buck. Jenkins will provide that! So will McFadden, but I really don't expect McFadden to slip to #9.

Put your Buckeye homer hat away. If we draft a CB, that means we're paying 1st round money for a player who will be on the field 25% of the time or so, and that's dumb. Also, have you priced DEs in free agency? That's never happening for the Bengals. We can't afford to pull a Matt Millen.

We need LBs. Pollack is NOT playing, and we don't know if we're getting Odell, or what kind of shape he'll be in if we do. Landon's OK but not what you want from a starter, and Brooks and Jeanty both fit in the OK, but not great category. With all the holes this team has, you don't draft at the single position where the D is strong. We have other needs too, like O-line (Willie's old and Andrews sucks), tight end, DT, DE...basically anything but QB, CB, and probably RB.

Besides, at #9, you start considering positional need. Sure you don't reach for positional need, but you don't blindly take best player available unless it's a guy who fell for no reason who should have gone higher (like Peterson this year). I don't know much about Jenkins, but I know that there wasn't much on the OSU team that impressed me Monday night, I'll tell you that.

That particular mock also has the best free safety in the draft sitting at #10, that would seem a better fit with Madieu a FA.

They also have only taken one OLineman at this point so there should be plenty to work with, I can't see a high first round pick being spent on a nickel corner, no matter how good.

"You can never have too many cornerbacks." - Coach Lewis

:sure: Great quote, but it doesn't say anything about too many first round cornerbacks.

It just says that you never know what the Bengals brass will do on draft day.

Haven't thought too much into this but a CB like Jenkins may be what the Bengals Need. JJ or Hall would make a great nickel, Jenkins has the ability and will become better than both of these guys. Draft Jenkins, Trade Deltha. Draft a D-lineman with that pick you get from Deltha. Bring in a DE and DT free agent and a Safety... Rd. 1 Jenkins (At the #9 overall why would you NOT take a #1 overall skill player?) Rd. 2 LB Rd. 3 DE/DT Rd. 4 OL Rd. 5 LB Rd. 6 DT/DE Rd. 7 OL

Through the draft our Secondary corner play would be GREAT for several years, possibly the best in the ever-evolving passing NFL. Build the D-Line with 2 Free Agents. Peko and Geathers can get there job done. We get back Odell, A. Brooks (possibly Pollack) and Landon Johnson along with Jeanty and a Round 2 (2008) rookie LB'r and our LB core is 110% better.

I just don't see the Bengals selecting a Sedrick Ellis with a #9 overall pick. Mikey likes to get the most bang-for-the-buck. Jenkins will provide that! So will McFadden, but I really don't expect McFadden to slip to #9.

Put your Buckeye homer hat away. If we draft a CB, that means we're paying 1st round money for a player who will be on the field 25% of the time or so, and that's dumb. Also, have you priced DEs in free agency? That's never happening for the Bengals. We can't afford to pull a Matt Millen.

We need LBs. Pollack is NOT playing, and we don't know if we're getting Odell, or what kind of shape he'll be in if we do. Landon's OK but not what you want from a starter, and Brooks and Jeanty both fit in the OK, but not great category. With all the holes this team has, you don't draft at the single position where the D is strong. We have other needs too, like O-line (Willie's old and Andrews sucks), tight end, DT, DE...basically anything but QB, CB, and probably RB.

Besides, at #9, you start considering positional need. Sure you don't reach for positional need, but you don't blindly take best player available unless it's a guy who fell for no reason who should have gone higher (like Peterson this year). I don't know much about Jenkins, but I know that there wasn't much on the OSU team that impressed me Monday night, I'll tell you that.

Well maybe there's a little homerism going on here but I still think I have a point... Denver has Champ Bailey, Dry Bly, John Lynch. If they can afford that, we can afford 3 CB's that are all under 3 years experience.

We'll know in February if Odell will be reinstated. This is plenty of time before the draft. If he's cleared (and still in shape), he'll play. You never know, he might come back in better shape than he was in his rookie season... Your probably right about Pollack, he's done... Normally if a rookie makes it in the league it takes him 2-4 years to develop and to perform at the level of potential he has. Basically your going to know what type of player a guy is at about his 3rd season, so I think your assessment of A. Brooks is a little premature. We all know what Landon is; insurance.

Lauranitis had almost 20 tackles in the BCS Championship game, the dude makes Tackles, it's what he does. Jenkins played really well too. I think they were the only two that showed up on defense. I'd rather have Lil Animal than Jenkins, but if he declares I think Baltimore will grab him.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/20...t.cfm?writer=33

These guys have the Bengals taking:

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Defense, defense and more defense. This is the call out of Cincinnati. The Bengals defense was dreadful last year. They need help at DT, LB and CB. They could take a long look at USC linebacker Keith Rivers here also. A shut down corner is a requirement in the AFC and Jenkins has the potential to become one. He is very fluid and can cover any WR. He needs some mechanical corrections on his drops, but the athletic ability is there. Has the talent and intangibles to become a really good NFL cornerback.

Nope he's staying in school...

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008/20...t.cfm?writer=33

These guys have the Bengals taking:

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Defense, defense and more defense. This is the call out of Cincinnati. The Bengals defense was dreadful last year. They need help at DT, LB and CB. They could take a long look at USC linebacker Keith Rivers here also. A shut down corner is a requirement in the AFC and Jenkins has the potential to become one. He is very fluid and can cover any WR. He needs some mechanical corrections on his drops, but the athletic ability is there. Has the talent and intangibles to become a really good NFL cornerback.

Nope he's staying in school...

Good. Smart thing for him to do anyway.