Front office showdown coming?

jjakq27

I just finished watching Chris Mortensen's review of the "coaches on the hot seat" segment and he mentioned that Marvin Lewis is pushing for some big front office changes including the scouting staff. Mort said Marvin is in a safe position but it sets the stage for a possible showdown with MB and Co. should the refuse his requests.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished watching Chris Mortensen's review of the "coaches on the hot seat" segment and he mentioned that Marvin Lewis is pushing for some big front office changes including the scouting staff. Mort said Marvin is in a safe position but it sets the stage for a possible showdown with MB and Co. should the refuse his requests.

if this is true expect the bengals to have a new coach next year. mike brown will not turn over GM DUTIES TO AN OUTSIDER.

if this is true expect the bengals to have a new coach next year. mike brown will not turn over GM DUTIES TO AN OUTSIDER.

Well if I'm Marvin, and he should've done this after 2005, I demand the changes or hand in my resignation, while I still have some respect left around the league.

I'd say the last thing Marvin would ever ask for would be a GM. Scouting dept' changes, yeah, but no sane man is going to openly lobby for less control.

Hell F**kin' Yes! If true, that gives me a little faith that Marvin still has something left in the tank. :sure:

That would jibe with that PFT report a few weeks ago that Marvin wanted a personnel guy...

I'd say the last thing Marvin would ever ask for would be a GM. Scouting dept' changes, yeah, but no sane man is going to openly lobby for less control.

Scouting Staff & medical staff would be nice,I'm sure even if we got GM marvin would still get alot say about players but aslong as mikey doesn't get his i'd be happy.

If nothing else, Marvin is saving face... If he makes demands and they aren't met, leading to a further demise in the teams performance, he now has an out. Sit by and watch an organization fall apart and do nothing ?? Good luck finding another HC position in the NFL... Look at the responses already... Hell, Billy even appears optimistic !!! I like hearing this as well !!!

WHODEY !!!

Hell, Billy even appears optimistic !!!

It's true Army, my hope and optimism grows anew. Especially when Billy hears even faint rumors that the Bengals may indeed hire more scouts and a true NFL caliber GM. Personally, the way I see it...

Best case scenario: This rumor inspired hope and optimism will blossom into reality, and this organization will find itself on a more level playing field with the rest of the league.

Worst case scenario: If existing franchise operating procedure continues to rule the day, then Mikie will have unfortunately not thought of them as necessary, and my aforementioned hope and optimism will likely wither and die on the vine.

Now...since it's Christmas I feel obliged to ask favor from Santa. Please bring Mikie a green thumb!!

What do you think Hair? Do you think your uncle Mike will go for that? How dare he criticize the organizational skills of your kin. Let him have it!

What do you think Hair? Do you think your uncle Mike will go for that? How dare he criticize the organizational skills of your kin. Let him have it!

I will answer it for him...(just as the person who answers Mike Brown's office phone says):

"You should just be happy to still have an NFL team, we could've moved."

I think early on Marvin may have felt like he could do it all but I think he realizes that isn't really possible these days. Hopefully Mike will relent and they will begin to put a plan in place soon.

The thing I don't get is why does it always seem like there has to be the big meeting on the Monday after the season is over? If you know there is a problem, shouldn't you begin working on it right away?

Also this is a familiar scenario for some of us. I think this is how Sam Wyche got fired/resigned after the 1991 season. Maybe Marvin is trying to force them to let him go. I doubt but you never know.

Let's hope it's true. We need personnel people and a GM although, as Detroit fans can atest, caution is needed in choosing the right people.

Ford & Millen may be boobs, but at least their goal is to win a Super Bowl. I do believe the only time SOP has uttered Super Bowl was in relation to how much it costs to go. His big word is competitive.

This right here just confirms mine and everybody elses stance that as long as Mike Brown is running this team, we will never be a consistent winner. The man just doesn't know football. Is it arrogance, stubborness or just a lack of desire to put a winning product on the field? Why do the bengals have the worst scoutiing department in the league? Why is there no GM? I believe the NFL needs to step in and threaten to kick the team out of the league if things aren't straightened up (which they can do). 17 years with one winning season is unacceptable. I am still a Marvin Lewis supporter deep down but he needs to reanalyze this team and decide what improvements they need to be a winner. Lewis does have his flaws with game management but the man has managed to put 4 yrs of non-losing teams on the field, and I believe that merits a little slack. I also believe that he is extremely limited to what he can do as far a s scouting and player development because of Mike Brown. In conclusion I believe it comes down to the same theme that has personified our franchise for the last 17 yrs, Mike Brown needs to resign. :angry:

Let's hope it's true. We need personnel people and a GM although, as Detroit fans can atest, caution is needed in choosing the right people.

Ford & Millen may be boobs, but at least their goal is to win a Super Bowl. I do believe the only time SOP has uttered Super Bowl was in relation to how much it costs to go. His big word is competitive.

That's a scary thought. Most teams have the goal of winning the Super Bowl. Yet, every time their methods fail, they continue to do it the same way they know.

I think the root of this goes way back to when Art Modell got hold of the Browns team and eventually fired Paul Brown even though he was one of the founders of the franchise. The corporate line with the Bengals is to trust no one outside of the family because of what Modell did even though the Brown family now owns the Bengals. I think one of the reasons Bill Walsh was passed over was because they were afraid that somehow he would become too powerful. They have some kind of family pact to never let the Modell thing happen again.

Millen is a mentally constipated f*ckrag who, regardless of his goal, should be chased out of Detroit !!!

Sort of like what should be happening with Chuckie here. They could be related...

WHODEY !!!

Oh yeah, well at least he was able to land one hell of a receiving corp. And it only took him 45 first round draft picks to do it :)

I think the root of this goes way back to when Art Modell got hold of the Browns team and eventually fired Paul Brown even though he was one of the founders of the franchise. The corporate line with the Bengals is to trust no one outside of the family because of what Modell did even though the Brown family now owns the Bengals. I think one of the reasons Bill Walsh was passed over was because they were afraid that somehow he would become too powerful. They have some kind of family pact to never let the Modell thing happen again.

I've never thought of or heard that theory. Of course no way to prove or disprove it, but it sure explains a lot.

I've never thought of or heard that theory. Of course no way to prove or disprove it, but it sure explains a lot.

Back when Bob Trumpy was on the air he used to make references to the Bill Walsh thing. They had promised Bill Johnson the job after PB retired. They also knew that Walsh would want to change things and they wanted things to be run exactly the same way that PB did it so they could tell whether it was done "correctly" or not.

Then later I read that eventually the Brown family bought enough shares of the Bengals that they are the majority owner so no one else could take over like Modell did.