Best Possible FA pickup next year

DuffMan

Considering our now official losing record, which of the following free agents would you drop tons of money on to play for the bengals and try to turn around the team (wishful thinking I know):

Albert Hayensworth DT

Lance Briggs LB

Terrel Suggs LB/DE

Carlos Dansby LB

Bob Sanders (I think he's a FA)

Personally if Sanders is in fact a FA I would tell him to name his price and go from there. If not Briggs might be our best bet to add a playmaking veteran. Haynesworth would allow us to dodge the rookie DT curse in the first round and concentrate elsewhere, but there is major background baggage with him.

others I'd be interested

Mike Rucker DE: could match Justin's #s with much less $$$

Gibril Wilson S: Speedy, young, hard hitting safety, but with Nduke or White on the team we might have to keep Madieu considering his experience and I don't know where you fit in Wilson

Dallas Clark TE: I'm not big on him being a WR half the time, but whatev I'll take whatever we can get (literally)

I was looking in ESPN the Mag, and they had some former first round picks who are prob. switching teams next year and they had Vilma ending up with the Bengals.

ANd for a laugh, they also had Matt Jones(one of the worst first rounds picks ever, IMO) maybe coming to the Bengals. But it also said he may retire due to lack of intrest in the game anymore.

My first choice would be Jared Allen of the Chiefs. He'll probably get tagged and so will Haynesworth and Sanders. Suggs should be on the market and might be the best available player. Vilma or Jason Taylor should be available in trade. Karlos Dansby and Gibril Wilson are probably more in the Bengals price range.

A heart.

I don't know if a suitable one is available in free agency, but, if so, this team needs one. Badly. I've watched them play without a heart for too long this season...

That's what you get when players have no faith in the team's ownership or coaching staff, been that way for years and years.

They're here to get paid, get their NFL share of the pie, etc.., and move on or retire.

$5 says SoP won't sign a single decent FA this off season. <_<

Dude, according to Hobson that's all they have left ($5) under the salary cap after adjusting for injury settlements and next year's rookie pool.

I also heard they were going to re-sign Eric Guychick to a 5 year, $40 mil deal and re-up with Breshnahan, Lippincott and Alexander.

No $ left, sorry.

My prediction for FAs the Bengals will sign:

Justin Smith

Stacey Andrews

Madieu Williams

Landon Johnson

Kyle Larson

Caleb Miller (generates zero FA interest so can be had cheap, unfortunately)

Bryan Robinson (counts as 2008's annual Aging Vet DT signing)

TJ Houshmanzadeh (extended)

Dhani Jones (assuming he wants to come back to this train wreck)

My first choice would be Jared Allen of the Chiefs. He'll probably get tagged and so will Haynesworth and Sanders. Suggs should be on the market and might be the best available player. Vilma or Jason Taylor should be available in trade. Karlos Dansby and Gibril Wilson are probably more in the Bengals price range.

I agree on almost all points. Most of the players Bengal fans are currently drooling over won't be available...so pimping them results in little more than wasted keystrokes.

I think the idea of trading for Jonathan Vilma has the same appeal as trading for Albert Haynesworth prior to this season. Unlike a true free agent signing trading for veteran help demands the Bengals give up something in return, but it allows the Bengals to eliminate most bidding competion from other teams. That's a critical consideration for a team that isn't treated equally at the bargaining table.

As for Dansby and Wilson, I wouldn't be suprised if they sign for more money than most expect. Both should be considered 2nd level talent, but they're still young and will be highly coveted. As a result signing either player will almost certainly mean outbidding multiple teams and shouldn't be considered likely.

A heart.

I don't know if a suitable one is available in free agency, but, if so, this team needs one. Badly. I've watched them play without a heart for too long this season...

A visit to Oz might cure this bunch. They are sadly in need of a large dose of heart, some brains and lots of courage.

frankmorganozwc2.jpg

Unlike a true free agent signing trading for veteran help demands the Bengals give up something in return, but it allows the Bengals to eliminate most bidding competion from other teams. That's a critical consideration for a team that isn't treated equally at the bargaining table.

Interesting, why would you say the Bengals aren't treated equally at the bargaining table? Other than revenue sharing, does the league (and it's players) owe SOP something that I am not aware of?

I had no idea Jared Allen had 11.5 sacks this season, I guess I'd put him high on the list too. While the one thing the bengals desperately need is a pass rush right now, I'm not sure if the club (assuming it was going to spend any money) would sign a long term deal with Allen or Suggs when we already locked up Geathers. Of course we did tag Smith and tried to sign him long term, so who knows. Lining up Geathers on the right and Allen on the left would be a formidable duo, and there are a lot of high ranking DTs in the 1st round we could snag and rotate in with Peko, Thorton, Fanaenae, (is Myers still on the team?). As much as I would like a veteran LB like Briggs, what happens if the Bengals' now decimated LB corps becomes healthy/eligable over the offseason? If Jeanty and Brooks come back healthy and Odell is back on the team by then, I figure you have to find a place for them on the field. In that case resigning Landon might be our best best as he is experienced and versatile, and wont demand the $$$ Briggs would, $$$ we won't have after dishing out for a pass rusher.

Given my unlikley offseason, I suppose the defense would look like:

RE: Geathers, Rucker

DT: Peko, Fananae

DT: Thorton, Sedric Ellis? (or other rookie DT)

LE: Jared Allen, (or if its Suggs switch places to RE)

WLB: Landon

MLB: Brooks/Odell

SLB: Jeanty

CB: Hall

CB: JJoe

SS: Ndukwe

FS: Gibril Wilson? (either way if its Madieu or a FA pickup I figure Ndukwe or White has to start opposite them)

Either way this plan is contingent upon us spending in FA on top tier talent and draft defense early and often, all of which are things we have not done in the past. I do dislike seeing Thorton back and no new faces as LB, but there is only so much that can reasonably done.

Interesting, why would you say the Bengals aren't treated equally at the bargaining table?

Because free agents often agree to play for less money elsewhere. You'll probably blame Mike Brown for that, and insist that he adopt a strategy of bidding against himself over and over again until he's grossly overpaid for a player who doesn't mind playing for the most negative fanbase in the entire NFL....but I think much of the problem rests with the reluctance all players have to play in Cincinnati if other options are available.

You'll probably blame Mike Brown for that, and insist that he adopt a strategy of bidding against himself over and over again until he's grossly overpaid for a player who doesn't mind playing for the most negative fanbase in the entire NFL.

Get real Hair. You must not visit Baltimore Ravens or New York Jets fan forums much, because the negativity there makes this place look like a love fest. :rolleyes:

$5 says SoP won't sign a single decent FA this off season. <_<

U got paypal? I'll bet ya $5. :cheers:

Bob Sanders will be tagged. There's no way Indy will let that gem go... I think we'll get either a safety or a LB that is high profile this offseason.

Yes, I do have Paypal. How do we decide what "decent" is though? :sure: