Petrino resigns in Atlanta.

Bengals1

Just heard on espn. Petrino resigns as Falcon HC and takes job at Arkansas.

I wonder if we can get Jackson back?

Anyone want to bet that the Marvin Lewis rumors start? (because of the McKay connection) Remember he wanted Lewis in Tampa?

Rumors don't start until Mike Brown wants them to, since Marvin's signed through 2008. So the question becomes, *if* the Falcons wanted permission to talk to Lewis, what would it take? 2nd round in 2008? Maybe a 1st in 2009 instead?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

I just saw that a minute ago! Wow. Atlanta has really hit the rocks this season, eh? Wow, wow, wow...

Fans who still support someone who brutally killed animals?

Yeah... image_5649771.jpg ...that's the definition of Rock Bottom.

Just heard on espn. Petrino resigns as Falcon HC and takes job at Arkansas.

I wonder if we can get Jackson back?

Anyone want to bet that the Marvin Lewis rumors start? (because of the McKay connection) Remember he wanted Lewis in Tampa?

Rumors don't start until Mike Brown wants them to, since Marvin's signed through 2008. So the question becomes, *if* the Falcons wanted permission to talk to Lewis, what would it take? 2nd round in 2008? Maybe a 1st in 2009 instead?

Why would Lewis want to commit professional suicide by taking the Atlanta gig? Sure the money would have to be huge. But all he'd do is lose, hear the boos, lousy talk radio. He can have all of that in Cincy, but at least he has a QB there which always give him a chance to win.

Why would Lewis want to commit professional suicide by taking the Atlanta gig? Sure the money would have to be huge. But all he'd do is lose, hear the boos, lousy talk radio. He can have all of that in Cincy, but at least he has a QB there which always give him a chance to win.

Obviously it's a moot point if Marvin doesn't actually want the job. I think the question assumes that Marvin would be interested. If he's not, then he's not.

Why might he want out? Well, actually having the resources expected of an NFL team would be one. Possibly a few less prima donnas. Actual talent on defense. A chance to start from scratch with few immediate expectations, pretty much.

Of course there are reasons not to do it. That team's completely chaotic right now. They have an actual GM, and it seems that Marvin likes the power vacuum that he has in Cincinnati.

To me, the biggest surprise is that Petrino left the NFL for...Arkansas?!?! Surely there would have been a better job available had he waited out the season.

I feel bad for Falcons fans. As bad as we've had it this season, our plight has been mainly bad field performances. We've been far under the radar for this entire season off-the-field.

Well seeing how Cincinnati was all over the radar screen for almost two years prior, we're yet to reach even ground. I just hope it remains this way. The jokes got really old. <_<

Falcons name guy Marvin was after as interim HC (via PFT):

POSTED 11:11 a.m. EST, December 12, 2007

FALCONS PROMOTE THOMAS

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Atlanta Falcons have elevated defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas to the position of interim head coach, in the wake of Bobby Petrino's resignation.

Thomas, 64, has been with the team since 2002. A 28-year coaching veteran, Thomas served as defensive coordinator with the Vikings, Packers, and Eagles. He played for the Chiefs for 13 years. The Falcons blocked him from becoming the Bengals' defensive coordinator after Marvin Lewis was hired.

Owner Arthur Blank and G.M. Rich McKay will address the media on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. EST regarding the departure of Petrino.

FALCONS PROMOTE THOMAS

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Atlanta Falcons have elevated defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas to the position of interim head coach, in the wake of Bobby Petrino's resignation.

Thomas, 64, has been with the team since 2002. A 28-year coaching veteran, Thomas served as defensive coordinator with the Vikings, Packers, and Eagles. He played for the Chiefs for 13 years. The Falcons blocked him from becoming the Bengals' defensive coordinator after Marvin Lewis was hired.

Owner Arthur Blank and G.M. Rich McKay will address the media on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. EST regarding the departure of Petrino.

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. I was kind of hoping Hue would get it, but then they'd have to get somebody else to call the plays (presumably) while Hue took over coaching duties. This way they leave the coordinators where they and use somebody with a lot of coaching experience as the HC.

Hope Hue lands on his feet next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150783

I just saw that a minute ago! Wow. Atlanta has really hit the rocks this season, eh? Wow, wow, wow...

Fans who still support someone who brutally killed animals?

Yeah... image_5649771.jpg ...that's the definition of Rock Bottom.

Black People love Vick as much as they love R kelly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azg5x1m9uZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPMD5iaXOc

Petrino is an ass, I'm so glad that much of the media is slamming him today - I wouldnt want my kid to play for a man of his character (and I dont mean only this latest incident)...

I didn't see this coming at all. Petrino didn't even make it a full year. I've read comments from coaches saying that there is no comparison between coaching in the NFL and coaching in college. The NFL is just much harder.

Yep, just ask Pete Carroll. cool.gif

And Nick Saban.

FALCONS PROMOTE THOMAS

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. I was kind of hoping Hue would get it, but then they'd have to get somebody else to call the plays (presumably) while Hue took over coaching duties. This way they leave the coordinators where they and use somebody with a lot of coaching experience as the HC.

Hope Hue lands on his feet next season.

I hope Hugh ends up here as well as Emmitt Thomas.