Leon Hall, faster than I though

GregCook

Can u say, buh-bye Deltha?

Sad, actually, I think the guy has great talent but he's a head case. Yah, I know, he wanted big bucks after his Pro Bowl season, but he was on the verge of being out of football when Marvin rescued him from Denver. Seems like he wouldn't know a good thing if it hit him in the nuts...

Given the steep learning curve for a rookie corner, I'd rather see them look for a CB in FA. We'd be looking more for a backup/nickle type, so that shouldn't break the bank.

If they choose to keep Madieu, there's also the option of putting him back at corner.

And of course there's K2 v2.0, Ethan Kilmer, who may or may not make something of himself.

I think Kilmer and NDukwe will be our starting safeties next year......

The emergence of Hall as the starter at corner could be a very good thing for Deltha, and ergo the Bengals. It's well known that he wants a big new contract with lots of zeros, and how is he going to get that while he is relegated to the nickel corner spot? I'd bet good money (If Hair hadn't taken it all for yet another trip to the beautician) that he'll be pushing hard for more playing time - and that means better play.

Not that this will get us into the playoffs *laff* or anything, but with three corners competing hard for two spots, we should see our payoff - improved play at corner in 2008

He lacks experience....the best way to get experience is......(I'll let you fill in the blank)

For my money, the season is lost. Play the newbs, the young guys, the ones that will be staying, err, except Frostee Rucker. Playing time for them now will pay dividends in 2008. Bench the pricey/old vets who will not be with us next year.

The emergence of Hall as the starter at corner could be a very good thing for Deltha, and ergo the Bengals. It's well known that he wants a big new contract with lots of zeros, and how is he going to get that while he is relegated to the nickel corner spot? I'd bet good money (If Hair hadn't taken it all for yet another trip to the beautician) that he'll be pushing hard for more playing time - and that means better play.

Not that this will get us into the playoffs *laff* or anything, but with three corners competing hard for two spots, we should see our payoff - improved play at corner in 2008

1. Kilmer and Nduke would be, by far, the worst pair of safeties in the league at this point - what has Kilmer proven in particular?

2. Those 3 CB's should've been fighting for 2 spots this entire year already - and we see how that's worked out - JJ plays like he's high and Deltha is just Deltha - lazy and non-chalant.

Too many rotten apples on this team with bad tudes and poor work ethics, in addition to the lack of talent on the D and O-lines.

Funny thread.

I now believe that if Hoosier had hs way the Bengals would sign 53 free agents every season, and quickly replace them with 53 more as soon as the ink was dry. Meanwhile, if TJ had his way the Bengals would fill their roster with 53 practice squad players or a collection of one-play wonders who quickly find their way to the injured list where their solitary moment in the sun is forever remembered. And finally, poor Shula will just bitch and cry about everything because that's what a passionate but apathetic fan would do.

Kilmer showed us nothing this year, but played well in spot duty last year.

NDukwe has come on of late.

I have nothing more to present - it's really just a feeling that DJax and Madieu are done here. A guess, quite admittedly.

That said, taking those two departures as a given (purely hypothetical) who else starts at the safety spots? I like Herana-daze and Busing as special teamers, but not as defenders. Marvin White hasn't shown anything yet.

and to Hair.....your sense of humor is the main reason I married you, hun......:-) Ndukwe has been more than a one hit wonder this year, albeit he has a lot still to prove, admittedly. Kilmer was more than that last year as well. Ah well, I see the hormones have ahold of you again..... But you're right, I put a lot of hope in players who haven't demonstrated much just yet.....then again, tell me why I should look forward to another year with thorton, brob, caleb, justin, madieu, et al? My feeling is I have to place my hope on new and relatively unproven players stepping up, because the ones who have already had their chance (and then some) to step up have not done so. I think that's fair. Natch, you'll disagree :-)

I now believe that if Hoosier had hs way the Bengals would sign 53 free agents every season, and quickly replace them with 53 more as soon as the ink was dry.

:huh: Let's review: If Deltha is let go, I'd prefer to sign an inexpensive nickel corner versus using yet another high pick on CB.

This means I want to sign 106 FAs.

Ooookay, hair, whatever you say.

I do think CB is a need, but if the opposing QB's didn't have all day to throw, our CB's would look better (just as long as JJ didn't have to tackle anyone). I think the only way we draft a CB on day 1 is if Arizona's Antoine Cason is available in the second round.

The past couple of years I've kind of bought into Marvin's stance that great teams build through the draft and not via free agency. However, the draft obviously doesn't work for us and how many people would you honestly keep from the defense if you had your choice?

KEEPERS: Geathers....and, well that's about it

ONLY TIME WILL TELL: Hall & Ndukwe

HOBSON HYPE (never plays): Brooks, Thurman, Pollack, Henderson, Fanene, Kilmer, Rucker, White

DECENT, WON'T WIN ANY GAMES (and probably shouldn't start): Peko, L. Jonson, D. Jones, H. Jones

All the rest of the guys aren't worth a beer at PBS.

We need a pass rush PERIOD...

All corners need help. They need a pass rush, they need safety help, they need the defense to play as a team. While I love the fact we have JJ and Hall starting at this point, they don't have any of that. I can't see the Bengals not trying to improve their pass rush either through the draft or FA this off season.

I just don't think it's fair to question the ability of our starting corners at this point when there is NO PASS RUSH and the play of our safties has been questionable at best. Even the best corners get burned with the bigger, faster WR's these days, but to have ZERO pass rush kills them !!!

WHODEY !!!

Kilmer and NDukwe would be like having Ohalete part 2 and 3 get out of here. Kilmer had one good game versues New Orleans last year, Marvin White has a better chance at starting then him. Deltha will not be back next year Marvin will try to blame the bad attitude and unprofessional ways of the team on him without saying his name. Marvin next training camp " I feel we have taken the neccesary steps to get all the unprofessional guys out of here and the team will be a whole lot better without these guys". Leon Hall did not emerge as a starter that 1st round money guaranteed that he would start this year barring injury.

Kilmer and NDukwe would be like having Ohalete part 2 and 3 get out of here

*laff*

Each player has already displayed much better ability than Ohalete, so pardon me while I laugh uproariously at your ridiculous comparison.

That said, I am not saying Ndukwe or Kilmer are starter quality at this point. Not hardly. I am saying they cannot be worse than Madieu and DJax, who have been given every chance to demonstrate their talents and have failed to do so. I'm largely in favor of "if X doesn't work out, and X has already been given every chance to succeed, give Y a try". In fact, they should be doing that NOW. Sit Madieu, play White or Herana-daze. Sit DJax, play Chinny. Sit Justin (yeah, he of the 8 million dollar contract - hell, cut him now and take those real and cap dollar savings and extend TJ or Landon) and play Fanene. Sit Deltha, play Hall....oh wait, at least this one has gotten underway.

Kilmer had one good game versues New Orleans last year, Marvin White has a better chance at starting then him.

I loved the pick of Marvin White, and really looked forward to him bring his style of physical play to the Bengals. I'm a Marvin White fan. But......Marvin hasn't made it on the field yet. Kilmer has. So.....come again?

Deltha will not be back next year

If they can sign an average-quality veteran FA, I agree. Otherwise, he remains on contract through 2008 and will (barring injury to a starter) play nickle or dime. The Bengals will count on him playing in 2008 for the big FA contract payoff in 2009.

Leon Hall did not emerge as a starter that 1st round money guaranteed that he would start this year barring injury.

Err, no. First round money tends to guarentee making the roster, else the cap hit is too high, but it does not guarentee starting.

Deltha will not be back next year Marvin will try to blame the bad attitude and unprofessional ways of the team on him without saying his name. Marvin next training camp " I feel we have taken the neccesary steps to get all the unprofessional guys out of here and the team will be a whole lot better without these guys".

Wanna bet? Everytime Marvin has commented on Deltha's play or attitude this season it's been positive, and he went out of his way to mention Deltha's injuries as the reason for starting Hall last week. So something tells me that Marvin doesn't have it in for Deltha as much as some of the members of Cincy's stellar local press corp.

As for the idea of ridding the team of players best known for unprofessional behavior, it's been loudly suggested that even in the case of the worst offender the idea is...."too stupid to consider."

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Deltha sticking around unless he asks for a new contract (he has 1 more year, right?). While wildly inconsistent, the front office would probably rather drop the money to have a veteran we already have backing JJ and Hall than trying to nab corners on the market or drafting another on the 1st day. If he asks for more cash, forget the above statement.

While Madieu's tackling makes me sick, I'd rather bring him back with an above average salary (assuming he doesn't want more...big assumption i know) than bring in a vet. I'll drive Dexter to the airport just to make sure he's gone. Hopefully Nduke or White can be plugged in opposite Madieu, who will know the defense better and maybe progress like he should have this year.

Bob Sander's probably won't even leave Indy in the offseason, so I'd save the cash recouped by letting J. Smith walk and spend it on a decent DE who can play LE opposite Geathers and draft another end in the first two rounds.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Deltha sticking around unless he asks for a new contract (he has 1 more year, right?). While wildly inconsistent, the front office would probably rather drop the money to have a veteran we already have backing JJ and Hall than trying to nab corners on the market or drafting another on the 1st day. If he asks for more cash, forget the above statement.

Let him ask. Then remind him he's under contract.

Deltha was solid again this week and has performed far better and for less money than any nickleback the Bengals will be able to sign in free agency.

My bet is he plays out his contract.