Draft Needs

Kazkal

- I still think we need corners. I, personally, am in love with Brandon Flowers. He's only a junior, but if he comes out, I'd love to have him. I don't know if any of you watched the Virginia Tech-Georgia Tech game, but the breaks he makes on the ball are impressive, he's got great ball skills, and he's a great tackler. He's got Hall's skills but with more explosiveness and swagger.

- Gotta love Glenn Dorsey, he's dominant even when he's hurt. There's a lot of guys on LSU's defense that I love. I really like Ali Highsmith and Darry Beckwith at linebacker. Their versatile and athletic, something that we could really use. Tyson Jackson would bring us a great pass rusher, but he's friggin' retarded. The dude averages a personal foul a game.

- I know we have invested a lot in Perry and Rudi, but Rudi doesn't have it anymore in my opinion, and Perry doesn't seem like he'll ever be healthy. Irons deserves a shot, but we've gotta have another guy, and 28 yards in a game isn't gonna cut it in the NFL, I don't care how good you are at throwing the ball. I don't know if that needs to be addressed up front or in the backfield, but something has gotta be done. At running back, there are some mid round guys that I think could really give a the team a spark, like BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Cory Boyd or Yvenson Bernard, not to mention a tough, ballsy, versatile guy like Jacob Hester.

- I still like Madieu, I think he's one of our best defenders and is a serviceable free safety. Dexter ain't cuttin' it though. We've gotta get a true strong safety he's got young, fresh legs. We could take a look at Marcus Griffin of Texas or Jamal Lewis of Georgia Tech. If White can get on the field, I'd like to see how he can do, but he hasn't done enough to get on the field yet, so I don't know.

Im so tired of drafting corners please draft either a LB or D-lineman and get a corner through free agency or something i cant take another rookie cornerback.

Our current DB's are fine IMHO. With some help with some resembelance of a pass rush, and they'd be great.

Im so tired of drafting corners please draft either a LB or D-lineman and get a corner through free agency or something i cant take another rookie cornerback.

Our current DB's are fine IMHO. With some help with some resembelance of a pass rush, and they'd be great.

I agree!

I think that Howie's "little boy" -- Chris Long, DE, Virginia, would be a GREAT pick -- if Glenn Dorsey is gone.

My wish list is now: Glenn Dorsey (who we may have a chance to get at the rate we are going); Chris Long, or Sedrick Ellis, (I'm not sure about Quentin Groves, OLB/DE yet)

As for LBs I like Keith Rivers, Philip Wheeler and/or Dan Connors. I, also, like Laurinaitis, but I think he will stay in school and follow the A.J. Hawk's example.

If the Bengals keep playing like they did today, they'll have a shot at Glenn Dorsey. Having him next to Peko gives the Bengals a top notch middle of the D-Line. At that point, I say franchise Justin Smith again, Geathers still coming off the other side, and suddenly the D-Line looks pretty good.

The LB situtation still looks grim... but perhaps Odell comes back (not likely), perhaps Pollack comes back (hopefully), Jeanty and Henderson return... I think DT would be the best choice if the Bengals get a top 5 pick.

Do I think the Bengals will actually get a shot at Dorsey? No. They'll disappoint us all by winning meaningless games late in the season and finish something like 6-10. Good enough for a crappy draft pick... bad enough to finish last in the AFCN. - But that's a different discussion for a different day.

Calais Campbell sounds good.

Chris Long is not what we need. No more Justin Smith's. If we were in a 3-4 scheme, I would say absolutley

I always hear great things about Campbell, and he sure looks the part, but he's never done a thing in any game I happen to catch. That's probably my fault because I haven't watched Miami play as much in the last couple of years. By comparison, I've always liked Chris Long and managed to watch him again a couple of weeks ago. He seemed to start slow, grinding away in familiar bull rushing fashion, but before the game was over he was being constantly doubled and chipped. Not that it mattered much because his final stat line boasted two or three sacks, a safety, and about a dozen tackles. (He was nearly unblockable in the 4th quarter.)

Regardless of how you feel about needing Long I think the Bengals have found themselves in a position where they're not only attempting to replace Justin Smith at RDE, but reload at the Joker spot that Pollack and Henderson have vacated. In other words, regardless of what type of DE is available the Bengals will look for the same type of pass rushing OLB that has eluded them in each of the last two drafts....and it's important to remember that they were looking for another pass rushing LB even before Pollack was hurt.

Last, I consider Sedrick Ellis to be nearly as good as Dorsey, and a remarkably good 2nd option if the Bengals feel like a DT is a priority. Ellis is a high character fire plug with an amazing first step for an interior lineman, and one of the widest mean streaks I've ever observed. Simply put, he frequently makes his opponent quit....and his pass rushing skills are vastly improved this season. (7 or 8 sacks to date)

Kenny Phillips S from the Miami is projected top 5

In the past I would have argued that no safety was worthy of a pick that high, but no more. Things change, and I think it can be argued now that either safety position, depending on the player available, can be one of the highest impact positions on any defense.

With Geathers maybe just playing passing downs from now on and if Pollack ever comes back same roll? I'd say long is a type of DE we need if were losing justin...Yes we need upgrade passrush but we still need a DE who has no weakness.

PS,I'd be up for giving Howie long a shot lol.

Smith sucks. He's supposed to be good against the run, but he gets washed down inside constantly, opening up massive friggin' wholes that our average linebcakers can't fill.

Campbell's good, I just don't know if he warrants a top 5 pick. Whe nyou think Top 5 DEs, you think about taking a freak and difference maker like Peppers, Freeney, or Suggs.

Calais Campbell sounds good.

Chris Long is not what we need. No more Justin Smith's. If we were in a 3-4 scheme, I would say absolutley

I always hear great things about Campbell, and he sure looks the part, but he's never done a thing in any game I happen to catch. That's probably my fault because I haven't watched Miami play as much in the last couple of years. By comparison, I've always liked Chris Long and managed to watch him again a couple of weeks ago. He seemed to start slow, grinding away in familiar bull rushing fashion, but before the game was over he was being constantly doubled and chipped. Not that it mattered much because his final stat line boasted two or three sacks, a safety, and about a dozen tackles. (He was nearly unblockable in the 4th quarter.)

Regardless of how you feel about needing Long I think the Bengals have found themselves in a position where they're not only attempting to replace Justin Smith at RDE, but reload at the Joker spot that Pollack and Henderson have vacated. In other words, regardless of what type of DE is available the Bengals will look for the same type of pass rushing OLB that has eluded them in each of the last two drafts....and it's important to remember that they were looking for another pass rushing LB even before Pollack was hurt.

Last, I consider Sedrick Ellis to be nearly as good as Dorsey, and a remarkably good 2nd option if the Bengals feel like a DT is a priority. Ellis is a high character fire plug with an amazing first step for an interior lineman, and one of the widest mean streaks I've ever observed. Simply put, he frequently makes his opponent quit....and his pass rushing skills are vastly improved this season. (7 or 8 sacks to date)

I couldn't have said it any better!!

Chris Long is better than Campbell in every game I've seen them play.

Saturday (7:15 p.m. ESPN2) will be a good time to see both of them play on the same field. Virginia plays Miami (Fla).

I still favor Chris Long and maybe his Dad, Howie, will coach our other D linemen.

Another possibility, is Quentin Groves, DE who Auburn is converting to OLB. He was suppose to be a blue chip pass rusher, based on preseason assessments.

Kenny Phillips S from the Miami is projected top 5

In the past I would have argued that no safety was worthy of a pick that high, but no more. Things change, and I think it can be argued now that either safety position, depending on the player available, can be one of the highest impact positions on any defense.

I love Kenny Phillips. He is a burner and a hitter with good hands. Not only does he give a presence in the defensive backfield, he brings the chance for turnovers getting converted to TD's, and a top notch return man. I saw in a couple different places the Phillips is supposed to be as fast if not faster than Devin Hester. If that is true he could be a real difference maker.

There are just so many guys that are coming back from injuries and suspensions in the LBer and DL group that it makes it hard to judge where those groups really are. If some of these guys come back and play well at all, the Bengals might have wasted a high pick at a position that they no longer need a high pick. Phillips would be a safe pick...

I'm huge on McFadden...I'm sorry but Peterson in Minnesota has shown exactly what a guy with speed, power, and instincts can do for a running game. Add to the fact that McFadden returns kicks, has great hands, and can even throw the ball. He is like a larger version of LT but just a little slower. Once again the Bengals have 2 guys they think can be great RB's in the NFL in Perry and Irons that are hurt, and I know that because of them they will not draft another RB. Maybe they trade Rudi and then draft McFadden? Have a RB crew of Perry, Irons, McFadden, and Watson. That would be a lot cheaper and talent packed version than the one they already have.

If there was a year that the Bengals need 2 first round draft choices, I think this is it. If somehow they can make a trade to pick up an additional first rounder they need to do it. If they could pick up Dorsey, Phillips, Lauranitus, or McFadden early in the draft, then follow that up with someone like Jake Long, Ellis, Connor or Campbell.

A wildcard in all this might be they do want McFadden but miss out on him, they could draft his backfield partner in Felix Jones late first early second. Jones is everything McFadden is, but just not as powerful of a runner. Don't forget Steve Slaton too!!! He has had somewhat of an injury plagued year...but so did AP his Senior year.

My sleeper pick for maybe a second or even if he slips to the third would be Tommy Z from Notre Dame. He will probably slip on boards simply because of how bad Notre Dame has been this year, but he is a hard hitter and has the nose for the endzone when returning punts. The Bengals could use a hard nosed guy like him instead of some of the primadanas and thugs they have.

I don't want 4 new rookie players on defense. Rookies take time to adjust to the speed of the game and I don't want us to struggle again for half a season with a defense that 1/3rd rookies.

If we can draft a DE or DT with our first pick and pick up a pass-rushing OLB or Safety with our 2nd and plug these guys in i'd be satisfied. Draft for O-line depth and find another RB somewhere in rounds 3-5. It'd be nice to finally get a pass-catching TE as well.

We need to sign another D-lineman in FA and perhaps a SS as well. We need experience and up-grades over our current players, not just new faces.

A new defense with 2 new D-linemen, 1 rookie 1st round pick and 1 veteran FA upgrade. 2 new Safeties, 1 rookie 2nd rounder and 1 FA upgrade and perhaps a veteran FA OLB would be ideal.

But whatever we do, you can be sure that the Bungles "system" will drain the talent and energy out of them and our promising rookies will never improve beyond whatever skill level they bring with them into the NFL. Within 3 years we'll be looking to draft and sign new playes at all the same positions... <_<