More important to the Bengals success?

BlainThePain

What is more important to the success of the team this year, Ghiaciuc having a breakout year at center or Brooks having a breakout year at middle linebacker?

ANYONE on defense having a breakout year. It's been the defense that's been holding this team back IMHO.

I'll take Brooks too. If he plays relatively well in the middle, then what appears to be a well below average linebacking corps will suddenly be pretty solid. We have very little depth at MLB, and that problem was made worse by the iron fist of Roger Goodell. It is important that Ghiaciuc plays well at center, but I think he has already proven much more than Brooks and any "breakout" from him would be less noticeable. If he struggles, at least there's Stepanovich... if that's worth much.

I've always been a believer that the defense of this team is going to have to change to get a Superbowl victory. But let's face it. The Colts won the Superbowl with a subpar (and that is a complement to that unit) defense. There is now proof that offense is able to win championships (as if the Rams Superbowl victory didn't count).

My opinion on the Bengals defense has always been relatively low. I'm a big fan of defense, and would love to see some attitude and strength come - but my hopes of that happening in the near future are diminishing. I do have high hopes for Brooks and think the secondary is improved, but I really doubt the Bengals defense will rank in the top half of the league. Thankfully, I don't think they'll have to. If Palmer's health allows him to improve upon his '05 form, then the necessity of drastic improvement lessens significantly (how many games do you expect the Bengals to lose by scoring 13 or less?).

That's a long winded way of saying, if Ghiaciuc (and the rest of the O-Line) can give Rudi/Irons running lanes and Palmer time to throw - that will be more important than anything that Brooks will be able to do on his own. The unit is only as good as it's weakest link. Brooks should be nowhere near the defense's weakest link... so I think Ghiacuic is more important.

C'mon derek.

You're kinda being passive aggressive.

Have some more faith in your team.

We came THIS close to posting back-to-back shutouts.

Brooks, Madieu, O'Neal (playing for a contract$$$), Hall, Peko, Geathers, Smith,

D-Jax (although I'm still pissed at him from the Denver game)

It could be a lot worse....

Well, since I've spent innumerable posts grousing about the o-line this offseason, I can hardly be expected to go in the other direction now, eh? :lol:

Bluto, though, doesn't really worry me. No one will mistake him for a pro bowler any time soon (and perhaps never) but he's adequate. Gawd forbid Step has to step in; the slagging he got from Cards fans has left me convinced he'd be a disaster.

Willie appears to be going down the road that many feared when he was re-upped over Steinbach: age and injury are making it increasingly difficult, if not impossible, for him to stay healthy. In years past he was always able to play through the pain, but finally last year we saw him take himself out in Indy. Now he's still nursing last season's hurts. But I'm sure he'll be in there battling as long as he can, and I've always likes Kooistra. He's come through every time he's had to step in.

If Levi misses time, no question that will hurt. Nothing against Whitworth, who is good, but IMHO Levi is better. Stacy has look OK in the past at guard; as long as they keep him away from tackle I think he'll be adequate.

Bottom line, it's shaping up as another rough year for the o-line. If this team wants to be a postseason contender, some folks are going to have to step it up.

Defense really has to come into it's own this year. I'm a bit surprised our D is so soft seeing as that is Marvins forte and he has had plenty of time to influence/mould the team on that side of the ball !