Chris Henry mega-thread............

Kazkal

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well him being punished last season and nothing being that major i'd hope 2-4....but just with all the crack down talk got my panties in a twist.

This is a good question ... exactly what has occurred with Henry (negative and positive) since his sit-down by Marvin and league suspension? Hmmm ... I guess the positive might be no new arrests :P

Why the hell would Henry be suspended now? Did he do something new I don't know about? He's been staying out of trouble. They're not going to go back and punish everyone again for things they did in the past. Players who get into trouble from this point on may be dealt with more harshly though.

Are they going to make it retroactive? Because otherwise, he's been clear for a year or so now, no?

On what basis would the NFL be suspending him, even under the new rules?

The commissioner's office has yet to hand down penalties for his last two offenses. See:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5933

Goodell has the lone authority to fine and/or suspend players violating the personal conduct policy. He suspended Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry for two games and fined him $20,000 for violations of both the personal conduct policy (felony gun charge) and substance abuse policy (marijuana possession) back in October.

But Goodell has yet to make a call on Henry’s final two legal resolutions: Two days in jail for allowing minors to drink alcohol in his Northern Kentucky hotel room late last April, and reckless operation of a car.

Brown has said teams should have more say in meting out punishment rather than the broad powers given to the league on legal matters in the collective bargaining agreement. Since teams don’t have much of a say in discipline, Brown has said, it’s unfair to sanction them for misconduct.

100% agree.

But Goodell has yet to make a call on Henry’s final two legal resolutions: Two days in jail for allowing minors to drink alcohol in his Northern Kentucky hotel room late last April, and reckless operation of a car.

What the hell is he waiting for? I grow increasingly convinced Goodell is becoming very incompetent. But that's with a very small sample size.

What the hell is he waiting for? I grow increasingly convinced Goodell is becoming very incompetent. But that's with a very small sample size.

Remember, under the current policy they have to wait until the legal system gets done and those two matters were only finally resolved last month. It's been common knowledge that Goodell will hand down whatever punishment there is to be before the draft.

Are you guys sure he wasn't punished for that stuff already? Didn't he get benched/suspended towards the mid-to-late part of the year?

Yeah, that was for the gun charge in Florida.

Remember, under the current policy they have to wait until the legal system gets done and those two matters were only finally resolved last month. It's been common knowledge that Goodell will hand down whatever punishment there is to be before the draft.

So we're speculating that Henry will get suspended at this point? He's not going to hand out a penalty just for handing out a penalty, right?

So we're speculating that Henry will get suspended at this point? He's not going to hand out a penalty just for handing out a penalty, right?

My assumption is that Goodell is waiting for the new policy to be finalized to see what "powers" he actually has, and what he can do without triggering a grievance. Could be a fine, could be a suspension, could be both, could be neither. My guess is that he watches from home for the first couple weeks of the season, but we'll see.

I think it would be kind of crappy to suspend him again for things that happened before his previous suspension if he keeps his nose completely clean from now on. I've been one of those who was all over Henry, but so far this offseason we haven't heard anything from him in terms of new troubles. My understanding was that the 4 games was over the top for the actual plea that it followed, and that the 4 games was for the Chris Henry total package.

I believe Goodell, while he's making examples out of people, should also make examples out of those who might actually be learning their lesson. Throw the book at Pacman, leave Henry alone unless he screws up again.

The most recent article on ESPN's site states:

"Henry has been arrested four times since December 2005. After his first two cases were settled, the NFL suspended him for two games for violating its conduct and substance abuse policies.

He settled the final case in January, pleading guilty to letting minors drink in a hotel room he rented. He could be suspended again by the league for that conviction."

If they are correct, I gather from that that the 3rd and 4th arrests are still 'unsettled' in term of NFL suspensions.

Are you guys sure he wasn't punished for that stuff already? Didn't he get benched/suspended towards the mid-to-late part of the year? Or am I thinking about someone else?

Your right. I think marvin sat him for a few games so that may have an effect on the type and extent of punishment handed down by commish.

He was suspended 2 games last season by the NFL for (I think) his first 2 convictions and benched for 1 by Marvin (after Puke-gate). Sounds like he's still got his recently settled convictions hanging over his head in terms of NFL punishmenbt. I'd guess say he'll be lucky to see a 2 game suspension from the NFL this season, probably 4 or even 6 (totaling 8 including his prior 2).

IMHO, the biggest change in this "crackdown" will happen on a team level. Henry (and others) will be on a much shorter leash with Marvin if teams get expanded disciplinary power. Goodell will mete out suspensions faster (before legal stuff is completely settled), but I doubt we see any more severe punishments than those currently given.

I really don't think he'll get a strict punishment, 0-2 games. The commish is going to lay out the new policy on off-field behavior from here on out. All the guys who've have trouble in the past will most likely be punished under the former policy.

So basically what Henry did in the past is the past and should fit under the old policy. Anything after the new agreement that comes out of the upcoming meeting is to be determined.

I have a dumb question. Does any of this have to be voted on by the players union or does the commish have these almighty powers to basically do what he wants? I know that some players were involved with this and gave their input but I am surprised that the union isn't upset at this change even if it is the right thing to do.

I really don't think he'll get a strict punishment, 0-2 games. The commish is going to lay out the new policy on off-field behavior from here on out. All the guys who've have trouble in the past will most likely be punished under the former policy.

So basically what Henry did in the past is the past and should fit under the old policy. Anything after the new agreement that comes out of the upcoming meeting is to be determined.

I agree with your point. But I disagree that will happen. If it's not judged before, then it will be after with the new policy is implemented... from the looks of it.

I agree with your point. But I disagree that will happen. If it's not judged before, then it will be after with the new policy is implemented... from the looks of it.

Yeah, thanks to the BS Pacman pulled lately, the commish will punish him based on new standards. And if you slam Pacman, you've got to follow suit with Henry, although whatever Henry gets will definitely pale in comparison.

Yeah, thanks to the BS Pacman pulled lately, the commish will punish him based on new standards. And if you slam Pacman, you've got to follow suit with Henry, although whatever Henry gets will definitely pale in comparison.

That's what I'm worried about. Goodell seems like he wants to be a hardass, and that could spell doom for Henry because of someone else's offenses.

That's what I'm worried about. Goodell seems like he wants to be a hardass, and that could spell doom for Henry because of someone else's offenses.

I'm not sure I'm willing to blame PacMan, Tank Johnson, O.J. Simpson or any other troubled NFL player for the doom that awaits Henry. If Goodell wants to be a "hardass," then that's what he'll be. But when it comes to NFL suspensions, Henry will get no more than he deserves (and probably less). He's already avoided jail-time, which probably gives him better treatment than the average man would have gotten.

It's good that he's kept his nose clean for a few months... but he was nothing short of a menace to society for a few months there... and the consequences of those actions can be long-term. Unfortunately for us, it directly effects the team we all root for, but I don't think I'll feel bad for him due to the fact that Adam Jones is an absolute jack-ass, because honestly, Henry hasn't proven that he's far behind him in that category.