The Squirrel to New England

7/11

Looks like they'll play them both, decide which one at the end of the year has played better, and keep (pay) that player and let the other go. I doubt they intend on affording both. I also have no doubt they've told both players they are competing against one another for the big 2008 roster bonus....ie both are now HIGHLY motivated

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

holy crap. his deal is almost as comparable to the one stallworth just signed a few days ago.

Yeah, so he will actually make about 89 cents unless he actually performs. Still, props to Kwash.

A five-year deal worth up to $22 million, including a $300,000 signing bonus and a $4 million roster bonus payment that they may or may not pay him next year.

So where is the rest of the money ?

I mean that leaves over 17 million, I guess the real question is just how much is his base salary for '07.

Anyway is anybody else thinking that we got really good deal on T.J. Houshmandzadeh's new contract back in '05 ?

I mean that leaves over 17 million, I guess the real question is just how much is his base salary for '07.

If it's like the Stallworth deal, he's probably getting something around $2m in salary and bonus this year, maybe a bit more.

Anyway is anybody else thinking that we got really good deal on T.J. Houshmandzadeh's new contract back in '05 ?

Anything signed before this year is going to start to look like a bargain. Bobbie Williams has to feel like a complete mucking foron right now... :unsure:

Sometimes I get 'em right for crazy reasons.

I actually predicted prior to last season that whenever K-Dub moved on it would probably be to the Patriots based upon comments made just before the Pro Bowl by Bill Belicheck. For those who don't recall the Bengals had just finsished 11-5 and had Palmer not been injured were considered a legit Super Bowl contender by many. During an NFL Network interview Belichick was asked which teams he considered the greatest competition and he quickly rattled off Indy, Pittsburgh, and Cincy....repeatedly mentioning Cincy's depth at WR as a major factor. Most interesting to me was how often Belichick kept mentioning K-Dub, a player who wasn't even active most games. When this was mentioned during the interview Belichick responded by pointing out that Washington had repeatedly played well when given a chance...even mentioning the TD K-Dub had scored against the Lions.

He will do well if he can stay healthy. As long as he didn't go to one the divisional rivals, then I wish him well.

He was part of Marvin's first draft class and it seemed like he got a bargain when KW slipped to the third round. Who knew that TJ would emerge as such a force after that. Anyway, good luck to the Squirrel. Now that Notorius Dillon is gone from the Pats, I won't be rooting against them.

I'm not really sure what the cap is gonna look like after this year but that makes me think we kind of owe it to T.J. (even though he just got an extension last year) to redo his deal a bit. He was the biggest clutch receiver we had this year, IMO and it would be worth it to keep him happy and rightfully reward him for his contribution to this team.

I'm not really sure what the cap is gonna look like after this year but that makes me think we kind of owe it to T.J. (even though he just got an extension last year) to redo his deal a bit. He was the biggest clutch receiver we had this year, IMO and it would be worth it to keep him happy and rightfully reward him for his contribution to this team.

I know people will want him to honor his deal, but aside from resigning Madieu, he's the one guy that I want to reward. All that he has done for this team and will continue to do, I think he's earned to be payed more.

He does just fine when he's healthy. Good move for the Pats - lots of upside potential between he and Stallworth.

Yet, both have had a long history of constant injury problems and aren't overly reliable.

IF that changes this year for those 2 - wow.

KWash still had gator arms when he was healthy. Made a poor target in the end zone for as big as he was. Wasn't particularly fast. See ya KWash.

MORE ON STALLWORTH-WASHINGTON FEUD

Leave it to PFT Planet to track down the stuff that our feeble Intergoogle research abilities were unable to locate.

Thanks to several readers, here's the whole story on the Donte' Stallworth-Kelley Washington feud of days gone by.

Albert Breer of the Boston Herald touches briefly on the issue, in one of the few items that we ultimately would have located on our own. (We think.) But while Breer accurately captures the basic gist of the story (i.e., Stallworth and Washington both decided while at Tennessee to turn pro, but Washington backed out after Stallworth hired an agent), the story is a little juicier than portrayed in Breer's blog.

As explained by the Chattanooga Times on January 17, 2002, Stallworth tried to reel in his decision to turn pro after Washington changed his mind. But because Stallworth had hired an agent, Stallworth was unable to put the toothpaste back in the lamp (or however in the hell the saying goes).

So why did Washington pull out of the 2002 draft? "The whispers suggest that Washington was told by certain guessperts that if Stallworth was out of the way," wrote the Times, "Kelley would not only lead the Big Orange in receptions and touchdowns next season, but would ultimately become a Top Five pick in next year's draft."

Stallworth eventually was taken in the top fifteen of the 2002 draft, and Washington was a third-rounder in 2003.

Later that year, former Tennessee running back Onterrio Smith (far better known for his "Whizzinator") talked about the issue in an interview with the Nashville Tennessean. [Editor's note: Smith transferred to Oregon after getting kicked out of Tennessee.] Said Smith: "Kelley was telling Donte', 'Let's both come out and see.' It was like a dare to see who would go higher. But Kelley pulled out and forced my man into the draft. He knew Donte' would blow him away in all the testing sessions."

Added a league insider: "Kelley was older than everyone at UT due to playing minor league baseball for four years. He only played two years at UT. He was generally seen as egotistical and standoffish by all his teammates. Kelley clearly thought he was the star."

And here's the capper. Straight from the horse's mouth, to Harry McCulla of ABC 26 in New Orleans. McCulla was asked by ESPN to pose questions to Stallworth during his rookie season with the Saints.

Writes McCulla: "Question #3. How good is Tennessee WR Kelley Washington, and can he be better than you? Donte's face drops. . . ."

"'They wanted you to ask me about Kelley Washington?,'" Stallworth said in response. "'I'm not talking about Kelley Washington. Any more questions on that sheet, that aren't about Kelley Washington?'"

Ouch.

Of course, Stallworth said those things several years ago. As we explained earlier on Tuesday, each player knew that the other player was potentially joining the Patriots -- and both took less money than they could have gotten elsewhere to play for New England.

But while it appears that Stallworth has forgiven, we can't imagine that he has forgotten.

Yes, of course, whomever the Bengals' lose - they're overrated or stink - and whomever stays - is the greatest player ever.

I never saw that coming.

It's called 'good team management,' getting rid of players who suck and keeping those who don't. You want to make the case that Washington DIDN'T suck?

Not to mention which, your basic premise is killed by the currently active "Kill John Thornton!" thread, as well as all the people who were unhappy with the Simmons cut.

Yes, of course, whomever the Bengals' lose - they're overrated or stink - and whomever stays - is the greatest player ever.

I never saw that coming.

It's called 'good team management,' getting rid of players who suck and keeping those who don't. You want to make the case that Washington DIDN'T suck?

Not to mention which, your basic premise is killed by the currently active "Kill John Thornton!" thread, as well as all the people who were unhappy with the Simmons cut.

So the Pats obviously have no clue what they're doing? Let's compare season records for the last 10 years!

Washington doesn't "suck," he just isn't as good as TJ/Chad/Henry. He did a good job of stepping up when guys got hurt, I can say that much.

I have no problem with letting K-Dub go btw - just thought it typical/funny that the posts start coming in about how he's a bum and is overpaid - much like Steinbach - and I guess I'm missing the Simmons love posts/threads.

If the Bengals' are such good team managers - I surely would like to see better results other than .500 records 3 out of the last 4 years, and leading the league in arrests and suspensions in a one year period.

I'll wait for the results in 2007, to see if this off-season is a successful one.

Shula is ever the optimist.....

And the KW vs. Stallworth thing is now someone elses problem now. And for once it is not ours. Belichick is the best camp counselor going. After all he kept our boy Corey in-line for three years. I am sure they'll be roasting marshmellows come August.

I never saw that coming.

Wow Shula. I find it interesting that you are willing to fault a logic that is very similar to yours (only inverted). With you, whomever the bengals retain is overrated or stinks, and whomever we lose is the greatest player ever. Rather than being an extreme on one side or the other, it is nice to see a little moderation here and there.

P.S. For the record... KW was a decent player. He just is not a special teamer, and was not one of our best 3 or 4 WRs. That means he was expendable. He is not overrated, because he is not rated at all. You need to be good enough to get on the field for that status. I'm willing to bet KW will be the #3 for the Pats behind Stallworth and Welker.