Chris Hope FA - Merged Threads

BengalChamps

Chris Hope is a big hitter and a tough guy. He knocked Miami's RB at the time (I want to say Lamar Gordon) out for the season with a shoulder separation after a huge hit. That was in week three last year. I don't know about your Williams guy as far as his style of play, but Hope is a monster when it comes to knocking the cr@p out of people. He gets caught out of position often and is not the fastest guy, and not that rangy, although he can compete with the linemen in strength competitions in the weight room.

I believe the Steelers are going to re-sign him though, so don't get your "Hopes" up. :D I'm funny. And a World Champ. :sure:

He will be too much coin....Dexter Jackson is a better fit alongside Madieu if we go for a FA. An excellent cover 2 SS who plays the run tough.

Yeah, I saw yesterday that he was expected to be let go. I couldn't decide then if I was interested...and still am not sure.

Former SB MVP, took the big$$ to go to AZ and played in a horrible D. Comes back to TB and step in where he left and anchored their secondary....very smart and can solidify the middle of the field...

not much downside, age maybe, but his price may let TB keep him...I say he'd be a guy to make a run at, if we pursue any S in FA.

I am all about the "hurt the division rival" angle, so I still favor Hope as the top targeted FA

Really, if the Steelers can't come to an agreement with Hope, I wouldn't be surprised if they tagged him. Saftey is still a relatively cheap spot ($4.1 mill. franchise, $3.6 mill. transition).

Really was never that impressed by Hope, and don't think he is similar to Madieu. Hope looks really athletic, but doesn't have great speed or coverage ability. He does occasionally put up some big hits, but pretty much what I remember him for is getting burned by our receivers or jawing with them constantly. That's about it...he's a decent player, but he's got that huge negative (in my head) that he's a Steeler and I won't be able to cheer for him if he did switch over.

I don't think that Hope will command much more than what Deion Grant got from the Jags in 2004. Whichever team signs him should get him for the equivalent of a 3 year deal, maybe $8 mill deal with about $3 mill up front. Hope did a nice job in the Super Bowl but he had to wipe his own backside a few times trying to butt heads with Mr. Rudi. He could interchange decently enough with Madieu IMO and should get high consideration among the free safeties out there. But there should be better options at strong safety if the Bengals want to primarily keep Madieu in coverage where his strength is greatest.

Another problem I saw for the Steelers is that their cap took a hit when they won the Super Bowl due to the incentives needing to be paid out for the win (See Rottenfurberger). I can't say as I would mind having that problem after winning the SB, but I also can't say as I mind them HAVING that problem... Oh yeah, I can take or leave Pope, don't care...

WHODEY !!!

kirwans's list of fa's as seen on nfl:

3. Chris Hope: Here's another guy who had a very good Super Bowl and playoff run as a complementary player to All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu in Pittsburgh. As a two-year starter, he has 185 tackles and four interceptions to his credit in that time. The 26-year-old safety already has seven playoff starts under his belt. Look for a division rival to be very interested in him because they know him best of all.

hmmm...which div rival needs a safety, and bad?! b/c i still think we'll draft a d lineman.

I don't know how the Steelers are cap-wise, but they're going to have to make some tough decisions as to who they can re-sign. If memory serves they've got 3 or 4 starters up for free agency and it's not like you can expect to sign them for last year's paycheck.

And I don't think Super Bowl-related incentives will impact their salary cap. Not unless they're elevator clauses (permanent increases to the base salary), and I doubt they would agree to many of them. They've been too successful for too long to do something that counter-productive.

Yo! Chris Hope is THE guy that I think we should target in free agency.

GET.

HIM.

HERE.

I'm not a huge Chris Hope fan, although he's made great strides over the last few years, still, he's not worthy of a big contract. When a team is use to guys like Lee Flowers in the Safety position, no doubt Hope is a major upgrade. So long as Hope doesn't ask for a king's ransom, I'd take a look at signing him.

I think the Bengals are strong in the secondary, and their big needs are linebackers and defensive linemen. If you guys shore up those 2 units, they will be a much more balanced team. But don't listen to me... ;)

:cheers:

GET.

HIM.

HERE.

I'm not a huge Chris Hope fan, although he's made great strides over the last few years, still, he's not worthy of a big contract. When a team is use to guys like Lee Flowers in the Safety position, no doubt Hope is a major upgrade. So long as Hope doesn't ask for a king's ransom, I'd take a look at signing him.

I think the Bengals are strong in the secondary, and their big needs are linebackers and defensive linemen. If you guys shore up those 2 units, they will be a much more balanced team. But don't listen to me... ;)

I would not mind seeing Hope here, anything is better than Ohalete starting at saftey. I would rather see us draft a saftey rather than sign one off of free agency though.

Look for a division rival to be very interested in him because they know him best of all.

hmmm...which div rival needs a safety, and bad?! b/c i still think we'll draft a d lineman.

:lol: Kirwan could have been talking about the Ratbirds too. But gotta figure he's talking more about some other AFC North team and it ain't the Clowns in this case either.

GET.

HIM.

HERE.

No actually I will listen to you and respond to that as well. Lee Flowers and everyone else in the secondary was the reason why you lost in 2001 AFCCG. it was a huge improvement for you guys at safety, and Troy was the icing on the cake. I "HOPE" that you guys let Hope go. But I think that your boys will try to keep him. :sure:

kirwans's list of fa's as seen on nfl:

3. Chris Hope: Here's another guy who had a very good Super Bowl and playoff run as a complementary player to All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu in Pittsburgh. As a two-year starter, he has 185 tackles and four interceptions to his credit in that time. The 26-year-old safety already has seven playoff starts under his belt. Look for a division rival to be very interested in him because they know him best of all.

I'd a lot rather draft a safety and sign a free agent d-lineman. I think d-lineman is the hardest position to evaluate in college because the willingness to get pounded all game is harder to judge when the guy is used to hitting the smaller players that he mostly will encounter in college. I'd rather have someone who's already proven he has a motor and loves to hit people just for the fun of it (rather than to impress scouts to sign a big contract as a first round draft pick).