Kiper

Jet23

Ole helmet hair has the Bengals taking Ko Simpson (DB) from South Carolina. I don't think he is the physical guy ML is looking for. Plus, he only has two years of college experience ala Mark Roman.

I know that LB is not an immediate need, but it just seems that 5 years from now somebody will be asking the question 'how did you let Bobby Carpenter slip away?'. He may not make it past New England anyway, but if he does....kind of hard to pass up a guy that just makes plays. Pollack + Odell + Carpenter = Lombardi trophy.

Complete list:

1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC

2. New Orleans Matt Leinart, QB USC

3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas

4. N.Y. Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia

5. Green Bay Mario Williams, DE* NC State

6. Oakland A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.

7. San Francisco Michael Huff, DB Texas

8. Buffalo Haloti Ngata, DT* Oregon

9. Detroit Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt

10. Arizona DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis

11. St. Louis Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland

12. Cleveland Chad Greenway, LB Iowa

13. Baltimore Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.

14. Philadelphia Winston Justice, T* USC

15. Atlanta Jimmy Williams, DB Virginia Tech

16. Miami Ashton Youboty, CB* Ohio St.

17. Minnesota LenDale White, RB* USC

18. Dallas Marcus McNeill, T Auburn

19. San Diego Santonio Holmes, WR* Ohio St.

20. Kansas City Tye Hill, CB Clemson

21. New England Laurence Maroney, RB* Minnesota

22. Denver (from WSH) Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College

23. Tampa Bay DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama

24. Cincinnati Ko Simpson, DB* South Carolina

25. N.Y. Giants Johnathan Joseph, CB* South Carolina

26. Chicago Leonard Pope, TE* Georgia

27. Carolina Dominique Byrd, TE USC

28. Jacksonville Ernie Sims, OLB* Florida St.

29. Denver Sinorice Moss, WR Miami

30. Indianapolis Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, G USC

31. Pittsburgh Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio St.

32. Seattle Maurice Stovall, WR Notre Dame

Kiper will change his draft in the 8-25 range very dramatically after the combine. He always does.

Things that stand out to me:

13. Tamba Hali is a bit high.

16. Youboty is overrated at 16

24. Ko better rock at the combine, as we can have many, many good safety prospects in the 2-4 range (Watkins, Whitner, Slay, Harper...)

25. Joseph is a reach here. A site I really agree with has him as the #15 CB in the draft...Kiper has him as #5. There is depth at CB but Joseph ahead of Cromartie, Minter, Zemaitis, Phillips, Jennings and Griffin??? ...we'll see after the combine.

32. Stovall is pretty good but Chad Jackson, Hagan, Schweiney's Williams, are all comparable and can be had in r2-3 (excpet Jackson). Seattle needs D-backs.

Wow, he's got Mathias Kiwanuka dropping allt the way to 22. Just 2 more spots and he's ours.

I can't imagine him being around at 22, but if he is, somebody better be working the phones. Maybe they can work a deal with New England again. If he's available, I may have to rethink my Carpenter stance...:)

Ko Simpson is a bona fide stud and will be an All-Pro in the NFL. If he were available at 24, the Bengals would be laughing as they ran the card up to the podium.

Pair him with Madieu and stop worrying about safety for 10 years.

Kiper will change his draft in the 8-25 range very dramatically after the combine. He always does.

24. Ko better rock at the combine, as we can have many, many good safety prospects in the 2-4 range (Watkins, Whitner, Slay, Harper...)

Couldn't agree more. You will often have a 3rd round DB that is more than capable of starting. Madieu and Ratliff are examples of the quality you can get later than the 1st round.

There are positions out there though that are very difficult to get as starters past the 1st round. D-linemen especially. I would much rather get our D-Line needs met in the 1st round than other positions.

Question

Why do the mods keep moving these threads? I understand moving them during the season... but this is basically 50% of what we have to talk about right now. I don't like having to toggle back and forth between the two forums.

Couldn't agree more. You will often have a 3rd round DB that is more than capable of starting. Madieu and Ratliff are examples of the quality you can get later than the 1st round.

There are positions out there though that are very difficult to get as starters past the 1st round. D-linemen especially. I would much rather get our D-Line needs met in the 1st round than other positions.

Question

Why do the mods keep moving these threads? I understand moving them during the season... but this is basically 50% of what we have to talk about right now. I don't like having to toggle back and forth between the two forums.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the thread was moved myself. I rarely check any other forum other than the Bengals. I might be missing out on some good stuff....

Just making use of this forum as it is meant to be used. There are still links left within the Bengals forum (just figured out how to do that). I didn't think an added click after reading/posting would be problematic. No "prickness" intended, never is with a thread move.

On topic, Kiper will indeed change his mocks over and over as time passes. He is just releasing them to get attention to his columns (is everything of his still locked up in that "Insider" crap? So annyoing). Any mocks made before the combine and free agency are likely going to either be very wrong or undergo a lot of changes.

Ko Simpson would be a GREAT choice for us!! :cheers:

Don't worry about Ko -- he plays the pass great and really tackles!

As opposed to some of this years crop of safeties that try to "destroy" the runners -- then are surprised when the good runners bounce off and keep running.

I've also seen some mock drafts where Vernon Davis slips to us.

I'd take either one if they last to our spot. But, right now my first choice would be Ko Simpson. Only because he is such a significant improvement over anyone we currently have.

You are right -- there are other good safeties available this year.

Question

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the thread was moved myself. I rarely check any other forum other than the Bengals. I might be missing out on some good stuff....

Thirded. Kiper this time of year IS Bengals talk. It's going to be draft for about three months, would be nice to have those discussions in the main Bengals area.

I don't think that ML is going to draft for need. He will select the biggest 'difference maker' on the board at the time (hopefully on the defensive side of the ball). Most draft blunders stem from a team drafting for need. I am going to pimp Bobby Carpenter once again. The thought of Carpenter, Pollace and Odell sends chills down my spine. And no, I am not forgetting about B. Simmons and Landon. I see Pollack playing end a great deal, so depth at linebacker is going to be very important.

IMO if ML connects on another defensive stud, either through FA or the draft, we are well on our way to a top 5 defense.