Bengals Work Out QBs Doug Johnson, Jesse Palmer

HoosierCat

from da site...

QB AUDITIONS: The Bengals reportedly continued to work out experienced able-bodied quarterbacks Wednesday that they think might be able to help if Carson Palmer’s knee isn’t ready for the opener and Jon Kitna doesn’t re-sign. This time it was Doug Johnson and Jesse Palmer, two guys who didn’t throw a pass last season for the Browns and 49ers, respectively. Reports also said Cincinnati worked out former Miami of Ohio wide receiver Michael Larkin.

Johnson, who has been on three teams in the last three years, came into the NFL in 2000 and had his most productive season with the Falcons in 2003. He started eight games and had a 67.5 passer rating with eight touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Palmer, who broke into the NFL with the 2001 Giants, also got his most work in 2003 when he threw 116 passes in three starts in New York and finished with three touchdown passes and four interceptions for a 58.5 rating. But he hasn’t thrown a pass in the last two years, and Johnson threw just 12 passes for the Titans in 2004.

JP wasn't bad, IIRC, with the Giants...still, nothing to write home about. Doug Johnson? Well, at least both of them have propitious last names, eh?

Yeesh, might as well just use Krenzel if they're serious about either of those two clowns.

But this kind of tells me they're pretty hopeful of Palmer returning sooner than later and being fine, versus spending a lot of $ and effort on a back-up. That said with talent like that backing Palmer up, it's all or nothing if Palmer gets hurt again.

Jesse freakin' Palmer?

He wasn't actually that bad. Out of 3 starts he had 2 decent games and one bad one (on a team that went 5-11). He ended up out in NY more because of his decision to become "The Bachelor" on ABC than anything else. He was a 4th round pick, so someone thought he had potential. Shoot, I'll take him over Krenzel any day.

Jesse freakin' Palmer?

He wasn't actually that bad. Out of 3 starts he had 2 decent games and one bad one (on a team that went 5-11). He ended up out in NY more because of his decision to become "The Bachelor" on ABC than anything else. He was a 4th round pick, so someone thought he had potential. Shoot, I'll take him over Krenzel any day.

I think that is the more likely scenario. We're probably looking at guys to audition for the #3 spot here. On a normal year we'd be looking at one of these guys as the #2... but with Palmer not likely to be ready at the beginning of the season, we're probably going to have to get someone more reliable.

The fact that our #2 guy will likely be our starter at the beginning of the season, it puts more pressure on a half-way decent #3. Jesse Palmer would be better than Krenzel as a #3... and before you talk about not really needing a reliable #3... remember what heppened to the very promising NY Jets season.

Alas, the downtrodden dregs and drecks known by some as as the Frerotti are amongst us. Please cast your glances away from my sad circumstance and look not upon me in my present state. Nay, try to remember me as I once was.

Nah, we haven't even got to the relatively high-quality-level of the Frerotti yet. Heck, we haven't even achieved the level of the Mitchellians (a.k.a. the Ancient Order of the Vaterius Bvffalonius). However, I believe both J. Palmer and D. Johson are card-carry members of the Justinites (think Paul). ;)

I for one would rather have Doug Johnson as my number 3 guy than Krenzel. Johnson has had some decent games when he's started, but he is not a full time starter. I think he would be a valuable #3 guy and would be pretty cheap to sign. I still would look at Sage Rosenfels or Jamie Martin to be my #2 man behind Palmer, and I would look hard at a guy like Omar Jacobs or Brodie Croyle in the draft if their available in the 3rd round, they would be too hard to pass up, every team needs 2 starting quarterbacks on their roster to be able to truly compete with injuries.

I always liked J. Palmer when he was in NY. Besides, what better backup for Carson than another guy named Palmer that all the girls swoon over? Oh wait, this is football!

Seriously, 2 Palmers wouldn't be that bad.

As far as drafting a guy like Omar Jacobs or Croyle, get a grip. We don't need a ROOKIE QB. We need a journeyman who can step in IMMEDIATELY for Carson at the beginning of the season and get a win. A rookie would not be a starter, he would be a practice squader.

Does anyone think that Blake could be a possibility? I think he is better than Kitna. He can throw the long ball, and I think he would know that Palmer is the man. Kitna, JP, and Dougie all suck. Blake could be a little band aid needed until Palmer is back.

What is Blake 50 now? Do remember, your memories of Blake are 10 years old. I'd wonder if he can even get the ball 20 yards downfield now.

That and he was always a ****ing choker.