We have to draft a quarterback, just in case

walzav29

I was watching classic ESPN yesterday and they were showing the 1988 season. There was a part when they were showing all of the QB's that went down. There were 3 qb's that went down that made me think if Palmer.

Neil Lomax

Jim McMahon

Chris Miller

These guys were always hurt. I know that Lomax and McMahon came out of college with all of the hype in the universe, and when they played they were great. It's just that they were always hurt. Palmer is the best young quarterback in the league, but 2 injuries to the same knee have to be a concern. The Bengal's can't rely on Kitna's to come in and save the day. We have to seriously upgrade our backup position. I'm not trying to be negative, it's just you don't want to have all of your eggs in 1 basket. The Bengals should make a serious push for Schaub, or draft a QB that they feel would make a good starter. It has to be a Bengal priority. Look at the Jet's. Chad is always going down and they have to put trash in there. Palmer has not shown that he can go a whole season without getting hurt.

I was watching classic ESPN yesterday and they were showing the 1988 season. There was a part when they were showing all of the QB's that went down. There were 3 qb's that went down that made me think if Palmer.

Neil Lomax

Jim McMahon

Chris Miller

These guys were always hurt. I know that Lomax and McMahon came out of college with all of the hype in the universe, and when they played they were great. It's just that they were always hurt. Palmer is the best young quarterback in the league, but 2 injuries to the same knee have to be a concern. The Bengal's can't rely on Kitna's to come in and save the day. We have to seriously upgrade our backup position. I'm not trying to be negative, it's just you don't want to have all of your eggs in 1 basket. The Bengals should make a serious push for Schaub, or draft a QB that they feel would make a good starter. It has to be a Bengal priority. Look at the Jet's. Chad is always going down and they have to put trash in there. Palmer has not shown that he can go a whole season without getting hurt.

Rookies don't make good backups when you're not grooming them for the starting role. Especially since he may need to play - they're going to get a vet starter.

I'm not saying we start a rookie. I'm saying that they should get a rookie to groom, just like they did with Palmer. In case Palmer is always hurt.

Still doesn't make any sense. The backup needs to be a guy who's ready to go. Since Palmer is hurt NOW, that means that guy has to be ready to start in September. A rookie certainly wouldn't be. So if you draft a rookie, that means you've just wasted a pick on a guy who doesn't solve your main problem, which is the lack of a QB for the first few games.

This only makes any sense if Kitna stays, which gives you the chance to slowly groom a backup, but then we're talking about a later-round pick to replace Krenzel. That puts you in the position of spending real money on 2 QBs next year, and I don't see that happening.

I do agree that we need a long-term backup option, but with all the troubles (S, DT...WR?) they have now I don't know if this the year to do it.

Whether and where the draft a QB is going to depend on two things, IMHO:

1. What do they really think of Krenzel, i.e. do they believe he could legitimately be No. 2?

2. The status of Palmer's rehab by late April. If things are on or ahead of schedule, then they probably don't do more than pick up a UDFA QB for camp purposes. If there are issues...all bets are off.

All that said, I think they should look at a legitimate veteran with some ability for a 2-5 year deal, who is willing to be a backup here for now. Regardless of Palmer's recovery progress, he's shown to be an injury risk. Even if it means trading someone, a draft pick, or spending more $ than they would like to.

As it stands, all hope is lost for this team without Palmer, Kitna and Krenzel are not the answer - they are two QB's who would get worse with time possibly and show their sores as Kitna did the last two games of this past season, and the end of '03 when Kitna just tanked down the stretch. I've had enough of watching him, and if at any point they think Krenzel is a legit #2 option - God help them.

They need a backup QB with a real arm - what they have now are two soft tossing ladies who cannot stretch the field or get the ball to the wideouts here.

Regardless of Palmer's recovery progress, he's shown to be an injury risk. Even if it means trading someone, a draft pick, or spending more $ than they would like to.

I don't think I agree with this statement. Palmer has never had injury problems prior to his NFL career. He got hit in the knee twice. The one was bad enough... but he only really needed to miss a game or two. THey just decided to rest him the rest of the season as to not risk his career for an 8-8 season.

The second hit on the knee would have torn anyone's ligaments... no matter who was standing there, the injury would have been just as bad. He is not injury prone. He doesn't have to sit out of games commonly with sore joints and hamstring problems, ala Mike Vick. Even Palmer's groin issue late this season didn't keep him from starting a meaningless game. He's not injury prone, he has only had one bad injury in his entire career.

I think we all have to accept the fact that certain players in the NFL, for whatever reason. Are more prone to injuries than others. We all know the Ki-Jana story. I think they should have a plan to have a franchise quarterback other than Palmer. Before everyone has a heart attack. Listen to what i'm saying. I think that the Bengals should draft a highly rated qb. It sucks, but the Bengals shouldn't have all of their hopes pinned on Palmer. Having an ok backup like Brooks or Kitna, and if Palmer goes down their screwed. The Patriots got lucky with Brady, but there is no one in New England that isn't thankful that they had that guy on the bench while their #1 draft pick qb's (Bledsoe) chest exploded. Missing the rest of 2 season's makes me think that he could just be unlucky. It happens all of the time. Especially to Cincy.

I'm not saying we start a rookie. I'm saying that they should get a rookie to groom, just like they did with Palmer. In case Palmer is always hurt.

Palmer was a first overall pick. So, that goes out the window -- you're not going to get anyone near the ability level of Palmer. I'm with Shula that if CP is out for any significant amount of time, we're going to be bad for a few years as a result. You can't draft a backup QB (even at #24) that gives you anything like what we have. Moreover, since we need all the help in the world (okay, that's a little strong but you get the idea) on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think we can afford to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds at least. That said, I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that you can look to draft a project QB in the 5th or 6th round if there's no more pressing need or opportunity there at that point.

In general, however, if CP turns out to be injury prone (consider that he played every meaningful snap this last season - which doesn't really bear out your point) we're screwed. He is our future.

[EDIT] I saw your T. Brady post after posting the above. Brady was a lucky late round pick. If that's what you're suggesting then I would agree that you would always draft a future SB MVP late -- regardless of position -- if you were genius enough to know what you had.

I'm saying the Patriots got lucky. I just don't won't every season ending if Palmer goes down. They have to consider with their 2nd rnd pick if a highly rated QB is there. They have to think about taking him. There is no one to compare with Palmer when he is playing. When he went down in that Steeler game, you knew it was over. Even at halftime I knew it was over.

IMO we should Grab Kurt Warner, we have the O line that can give him time to find the open WR, he'd be the perfect fit here.

His down fall was the online in front of him just not getting it done.

Our WR core also relates pretty damn well to the Rams back in 2000 and 99.

With the running attack we have also it would releave a lot of pressure on him.

I'm saying the Patriots got lucky. I just don't won't every season ending if Palmer goes down. They have to consider with their 2nd rnd pick if a highly rated QB is there. They have to think about taking him. There is no one to compare with Palmer when he is playing. When he went down in that Steeler game, you knew it was over. Even at halftime I knew it was over.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree, taking a QB on the 1st day of the draft means you're taking him to be your starter.

I can't remember the last team to take a 1st day qb with the intentions of grooming him to be the future backup.

the 1st 3 rounds are meant to find starters, we already have one at the QB position.

What's next you guys want us to draft a WR in the 1st in case TJ or Chad go down?

If you weren't worried the first time, why are you worried now? HTe only thing I am worried about is him getting back to 100%... not if he is going to get hurt every season. He went the whole regular season without getting hurt, and this injury was kind of a freak play.

If it had happened to Peyton Manning no one would be talking about him being injury prone. No QB in the league could have taken that hit without a serious injury. Palmer's not injury prone... it was just an unfortunate play.

Quarterback is the most important position on the team. You can't compare receiver's to QB. How many seasons would it take for the Bengals to need a healthy qb? The 1st year he hurt his knee, I wasn't too concerned. I am now. It's just being smart.

How much of the cap can we earmark for one position? Face it QB's of that caliber are gonna cost huge money. The only way any team gets two QB's on their roster of true starting, first-tier ability is through picking up a gem in the draft. No 2nd rounder is a gem because they're going to get paid. We cannot afford the $$ to one position when we have so many others of need on the defensive side of the ball. No team can draft two QB's to start within a few years due to the cost. If CP does have an early end to his career, the only answer is to negotiate an injury settlement or cut him and THEN go get the best QB you can find. It's just the state of the game.

I don't want to draft a quarterback, that seems like such a waste considering the other needs on this team... There are veteran free agents available that I don't think would cost very much, my favorite of which being Josh McCown.

I too, like Josh McCown. If he can be acquired for reasonable $$s, he would be a more than competent backup.

The Patriots didn't get lucky. They're one of the teams that follows the Ron Wolf draft strategy of looking in every draft for a QB with the physical tools required to start that can be selected on the 2nd day. Wolf has conceded that most drafts fall in such a way that the team can't actually pull the trigger on a new QB year after year, but you always target the position and you churn the backup QB position whenever possible. Wolf proved in Green Bay that if player developes as intended you've either got a top backup or valuable trade bait. The Patriots gained from many of the same things, but in their example Tom Brady provided them with a better player than Drew Bledsoe who was also a less expensive option as a starter.

The Patriots didn't get lucky. They're one of the teams that follows the Ron Wolf draft strategy of looking in every draft for a QB with the physical tools required to start that can be selected on the 2nd day. Wolf has conceded that most drafts fall in such a way that the team can't actually pull the trigger on a new QB year after year, but you always target the position and you churn the backup QB position whenever possible. Wolf proved in Green Bay that if player developes as intended you've either got a top backup or valuable trade bait. The Patriots gained from many of the same things, but in their example Tom Brady provided them with a better player than Drew Bledsoe who was also a less expensive option as a starter.

Everything you say is true, except that the Pats didn't get lucky. What round was Brady, 4th...5th? They got a 2 time Superbowl MVP. That's lucky. I agree that they, along with a number of other teams, do strategize to draft a QB on day two every year, if possible. Still, even with all of the undisputed scouting talent in NE, nobody could've predicted that Brady would play out as well as he has. I suppose that's part of why the strategy is relatively popular -- at worst you should at least end up with a serviceable backup, at best ... I wouldn't squabble too much if we did that, but I haven't seen any indications of it so far from Marv. I would squabble about picking a QB in the first or second round.

Drafting a day 2 QB is unlikely. The pool of good QBs isn't very good this year.

Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Jay Cutler are all 1st round locks.

Omar Jacobs, Brodie Croyle, Darrell Hackney, and Bruce Gradkowski will all likely go on day 1.

Marcus Vick MIGHT slip to day 2, but do we really want him after Dopey?

If Whitehurst out of Clemson is there is day 2, he might be ok, but he's definately not ready for immediate play. We'd be better off with Krenzel.

Kellen Clemons is still recovering from an ankle injury, so he can't be counted on quick enough if there's a problem with Carson's rehab.

D. J. Shockley is the next coming of Akilli's myth!

Anyone see any real solutions for a 2nd day pick?

One player I never see get mentioned in these discussions is Josh Betts from Miami of Ohio... Yes, I am a homer because he was the starter at my high school when I was a freshman, but still... He has put up excellent numbers during both of his seasons following Roethlisberger, and has a cannon of an arm, and is built big. I think he is deserving of some 6th/7th round consideration from teams, he has all the tools to be an excellent player. His downfall is that he throws the ball too hard (a la Byron Leftwich) and can be a little mistake proned.