Benching Kitna's a bad move for Bengals

Kirkendall

This is a move that had to be made. We all Know that Kitna thows like a girl in fastpitch softball. Sure he can Throw the ball 40 yards...in stride..??? but most of the times his receivers have to wait on the ball...or 40 yards is all he could heave..

As for the rest of the team.. I have to think that Lewis wants his defense to catch up with the offense, no matter who is quarterbacking..

Personally, after watching those Palmer games from preseason '03..( not that i have taped them because that would be wrong and illegal ) :D I like what he was able to do.... and who could forget that PBS premier 7 of 7 for 97 yards and 2 touchdowns. He even made T.J. Houshmanzadeh look good.

... or the two interception for touchdowns againts the Jets...

[shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh, shut up Josh] :lol:

His first game against NFL competition....He's a kid, he's gonna make some mistakes....

No doubt, Kitna's play was a reason the Bengals won last year. (20 TD to 1INT in the 8 wins). That's brilliant football. Yes Jonny did have his best year as a pro.

But where was he at the season's start? In the loss to Arizona he looked horrible. In all the big games down the stretch...he stunk it up. As good as he was last year, he was still pretty average when it was all said and done. He was good in 8 games. He was bad in 8 games.

That equals average. Awful 2nd game against Baltimore. His clock management at the end of the first half in the Browns game? You gotta be kiddin' me.

Get Palmer in there. He'll make mistakes obviously. He'll probably lose some games for us. But let him throw his early-Brett Favre picks while he's out there taking chances, getting smarter every game, and helping this team to the 2006 Super Bowl. I love what Kitna did for the team last year. But he's still average, even when he's the smartest QB in the offense. Carson will learn it, but until then, he's much better physically and with a year under his belt, ain't that far from knowing the offense inside and out.

The simple question I have to ask is:

What did Kitna do to lose his job? :unsure:

Nothing. On the other hand, did he ever really have it? And if so, what did he ever do to win it?

In hindsight, Kitna was doomed from day one -- and the only thing he can really be blamed for was being dumb enough to sign on here in the first place.

His first season, Kitna is handed the starting role by virtue of signing his name to a contract, and the team goes 6-10.

As a reward, the Bengals bring in Gus Frerotte to compete for the starter's job (a ridiculously quick trigger) and an unfocused LeBlow allows Akili to weasel his way into the mix, too. In the end, none of the QBs wins this abortion of a QB competiton, and Frerotte is awarded the booby prize (aka the starter's job) based on...being the most recent Bengal QB to sign his name to a contract.

After three games that were more painful to watch than repeatedly slamming your head into a concrete wall for 9 straight hours would be, Kitna is once again handed the starter's role, based mostly on the premise that he can't possibly suck as bad as Gus. He manages to coax a completely moribund squad to two inexplicable wins. This mighty effort secures the Bengals the 1st pick in the 2002 draft, and the inevitable occurs: they drop $50 million on a college QB.

So Kitna starts last season as the lame duck QB, again handed the starter's job -- certainly 2 wins the previous season didn't do it -- until Palmer learns the ropes. And lo and behold, he does OK, and at times, even better than that. But it's a year too late. With Palmer's signing, there was never any chance he could win the starting job long-term. The best he could do is what he did, give himself some trade value so that he could springboard into a a No. 1 slot someplace else. I hope we can hang onto him, he's make a great No. 2, but if not, I wish him luck. He's had precious little around here.

Does everyone remember the ball thrown right before the half in the St. Louis game? GROSSLY underthrown on what should have been a TD. This is people's exhibit A.

How about the lucky bounce we got in Cincy when Ed Reed had the ball bounce off his hands, over his head, and on into Chad Johnsons hands, who caught it and ran for a TD? CJ was wide open behind Reed, but the ball was again underthrown.

These are Kitna's MO. Our receivers and the die-hard fans of Cincy deserve more! B)