John Thornton gone?

walzav29

This is from Dayton times.

Responding to a question about second-year defensive tackle Matthias Askew, Thornton wrote: "I think he is good enough to be one of the starters next year when I'm gone. I try to help him all the time and keep him focused because it's hard when you don't play."

I don't care. These Dt's are just average guys. We need some killers in there.

"When I'm gone."

Hmmm. That's a rather...odd...comment. I mean, whatever he thinks of Askew, the kid has shown almost nothing. And neither Robinson nor Smith are anything special (not saying they suck, just are average). Thornton's salary doesn't take a big jump either (+$250k to $2.75m) and he still has 3 years left on his contract so there's likely little to no cap savings.

Why, then, does he see himself out?

Only thing I can figure is that maybe there are quiet plans to realign the D next year more toward kirk's beloved 3-4?

I have no idea what to think about those comments, other than there'll be quite a few personnel changes next year most definitely.

I know Marvin is not happy with the defense this year at all, but he will not admit that in public - the roster changes lately and the turnover in the off-seasons will prove that out.

I can't see an alignment change though to a 3-4, the LB's are not nearly good enough here to handle that yet, it would be a step back for them and this team is on the rise - no time for a new defense again, that is getting old. Get a system in place and stick with it - you see how it's benefited Pitt and Balt in our division over the years.

I have no idea what to think about those comments, other than there'll be quite a few personnel changes next year most definitely.

I know Marvin is not happy with the defense this year at all, but he will not admit that in public - the roster changes lately and the turnover in the off-seasons will prove that out.

I can't see an alignment change though to a 3-4, the LB's are not nearly good enough here to handle that yet, it would be a step back for them and this team is on the rise - no time for a new defense again, that is getting old. Get a system in place and stick with it - you see how it's benefited Pitt and Balt in our division over the years.

I agree. He might have just meant it sarcastically, I suppose. I checked his site but couldn't find the actual comment so I don't have the full context. The 3-4 thing was just the first thought that came to mind.

Nobody would miss his overpaid ass. I had a problem with him and Tony Williams when they were crying last year about getting no respect even though the Bengals were/are pathetic in stopping the run. I hope that the Bengals address this continuing problem with the defensive line through the draft and free agency next year b/c Thornton and Robinson aren't getting it done. Bye Bye John-Boy.

This is from Dayton times.

Responding to a question about second-year defensive tackle Matthias Askew, Thornton wrote: "I think he is good enough to be one of the starters next year when I'm gone.

I wonder where he is going? Is he a FA next year?

I think he might go into FA but he'll want some money (prolly more than needed) if he wants to get signed by a team that is halfway decent but thats if he leaves since I really dont know the outcome yet of his situation

A very interesting comment when you consider how hard Marvin defended his DT's this offseason. It seems like a real stretch to suggest that Askew could supplant Thornton based upon what he's flashed...which is nothing at all.

My guess is that behind the scenes Marvin has made it well known that he's not satisfied with Thornton's current performance and as a result Thornton fully expects to be an offseason casualty. Whether that actually happens is largely due to what happens on draft day OR if the Bengals improvement finally convinces a coveted defensive FA to sign on.

Frankly, I wouldn't rule out seeing Thornton in stripes next season.

During Marvin's press conference today he said he asked Thornton about and it was something that didn't come out right. He warned him about saying things that can be taken out of context. When asked point blank if he thought Thornton wanted to be here next year, Marvin said yes.

I am sure it will be on the video from the press conference on bengals.com.

I agree. He might have just meant it sarcastically, I suppose. I checked his site but couldn't find the actual comment so I don't have the full context. The 3-4 thing was just the first thought that came to mind.

Yeah I know you were joking around, just know others have brought that up so much. Of course they do resemble a 3-4 at times, but I'm just referring to their base 4-3 defense that they base their talent evaluations and roster management on etc...,

Sounds like John is worried about his position and becoming scapegoat - valid or not.

Just seems unusual for him to say that when he's still got time left on his contract, really weird actually.

John Thorton is a mouthful of lukewarm oatmeal...and as the scriptures saith..."I would rather you be hot or cold, but since you are lukewarm I will spew you out of my mouth..."

Spew away Black Jesus

puke9mj.jpg

The transcript of Marvin's press conference on the subject is classic :lmao:. I can just see the conversation this a/m/:

Marvin: Hey, John, got a minute?

JT: Yeah, coach, what's up?

Marvin: I read in the paper today that you said on your web site that you aren't coming back next year? Is there something you want to tell me...?

JT: Wait a minute, that's not what I meant..

Marvin: Well, that's what I read, whatever you meant. What, you pulling a Boomer on me and going to jump to MNF on ESPN next year?

:lmao:

Alleluia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord my prayers might come true.!!!!

I could see us moving to the 3-4 Next year. Our defense isn't great right now so there is always room for change. Thortons ass doesnt fit w/ a 3-4 scheme so thank God. I also think the Bengals will keep Nate Webster to play the other MLB pos. How sweet would that be, Lil Ray and Odell in the middle.