Steelers losing confidence?

alleycat

I just finished reading the same article and was about to post it.

The Indy rushing defense isn't much better than ours... but they have been able to score points to make teams give up on the run better than we have. They are giving up 4.4 yards/carry, and we are giving up 4.5.

We know their run defense isn't that good. Rudi and Perry had field days against them... and they held Pittsburgh to 86 yards and only 3.4 yards/carry... so hopefully the Steelers just aren't that good anymore.

We should be able to score on them early this time. We've corrected our mistakes from the last time... so while it might not be a blow out... the Steelers are not the 15-1 team of last year. They are ripe for the picking, so let's get it done.

Sounds like more than just the players' bodies are bruised:

Yeah, but I'll take ther body bruises just the same. Kimo, Big Ben and both their OTs banged up...that can't be good for Pitt.

Unfortunately, our D-Line probably isn't the kind to exploit those O-line bruises. Of course... we didn't exploit their RB, WR and QB bruises last time... so let's give this a try.

what kills me is Bettis did nothing last night...NOTHING....but next week against us he'll light it up...maybe...

Even worse - the Steelers will be able to keep the same defensive game plan for the Bengals that they used for the Colts. If it confused Peyton playing at home, it's definitely going to confuse Carson playing on the road. The one advantage the Bengals might have is that if the Steelers put in one fewer defensive linemen, maybe the Bengals can have Rudi and Chris Perry in the game at the same time? Could any of you guys who are experts on football (which I'm not) discuss whether this would be an advantage, especially when using the no huddle offense?

what kills me is Bettis did nothing last night...NOTHING....but next week against us he'll light it up...maybe...

Even worse - the Steelers will be able to keep the same defensive game plan for the Bengals that they used for the Colts. If it confused Peyton playing at home, it's definitely going to confuse Carson playing on the road. The one advantage the Bengals might have is that if the Steelers put in one fewer defensive linemen, maybe the Bengals can have Rudi and Chris Perry in the game at the same time? Could any of you guys who are experts on football (which I'm not) discuss whether this would be an advantage, especially when using the no huddle offense?

How do you not see that as an advantage? If they use the same scheme, Palmer has a whole week to study it... not to mention studying the film from the last game.

Palmer will have a lot more information to work with than Manning did. I don't think the Steelers left many tricks in their bag for this Colts game... so Palmer should be prepared to exploit their little gimmicks.

Ithe Steelers are not the 15-1 team of last year.

We almost beat them twice last year. We have to overcome our mental block about them. Unfortunately, they have so much confidence against us that by their first practice this week, they'll probably get over their loss of confidence from last night.

One thing - we proved we could stop Indy's running game to the extent of forcing Manning to throw (oops!). We should be able to stop Pittsburgh's running game, too, if we decide that is the only defensive goal. After that, the question will be if Big Ben can step up to the plate like Peyton did. I think not!

It seems that Palmer learns from his mistakes. If that's the case he should be his usual self. That has been the only thing stopping the Bengals when they play the Steelers. If Palmer has a game that is normal for him, the Bengals should win by 14. If the Steelers keep confusing him, that won't be the case. I just think that Carson can figure it out and whip these guys. The short week for the Steelers shouldn't hurt either.

How do you not see that as an advantage? If they use the same scheme, Palmer has a whole week to study it... not to mention studying the film from the last game.

Shank, you just beat me to the point. Palmer clearly views Manning as his mentor and due to the schedule have watched now several weeks worth of film as the Bengals prepared to play the Colts, reviewed their own performance against the Colts before preparing to play the Ravens, and will now study the Colts again as they prepare to play the Steelers. Best, the latest Colt performance should serve as a demonstration of the master, Manning, attacking the students nemesis. It's a blueprint for Palmer to follow against the only team he hasn't played well against.

That said, I fully expect the Bengal/Steeler game to be different from the Colt/Steeler game, and I'm sure that Palmer will have a few plays where he's as confused as Manning was last night. The key will be if Palmer has really learned to take the sack, throw the ball away, or not try to score two TD's on every drive. Limit the damage caused in the past by Palmer's few mistakes, and your chances of winning are much improved.

Will be interesting to see what kind of injury status games Cowher plays this week as usual.

If Marvel Smith and Kimo are out - they are in trouble, ecspecially if Ben is gimpy on that knee again.

Would be so nice to see the Bengals go up there and make a statement, but the Steelers will be up for it and it will be very tough. The Steelers are in desperation mode, backs to the wall etc...,

Shula's got it. in my house we call it a "Kitchen Sink game"(That's not mine, got it from Bill Simmons, Page 2 columnist and my fav writer) Where a team is getting into desparation mode and will pull out all the stops to win the game. I usually bet on games every week and I always steer away from these kind of games

I don't know about that. They confused Peyton because they know he tends to overread defenses. I don't think Palmer does to the degree that Peyton does.

They face the Bengals at Heinz Field in Week 13 and if they can't shake this loss to the Colts, Pittsburgh might be looking up at Cincinnati in the AFC North for the first time in more than a decade.

Uh...The Steelers did earlier in the year. Unless he is speaking about end of year results...