Draft pic this year

combatbengal

A CB should not be taken with the #1 pick. If we can't get a good safety, we need a DT.

We live by the sword (INT), and die by the sword (INT). O'neil had a good game... but James had a bad game, going for the picks, and letting Wayne get behind him... and every time I heard Ohalete's name mispronounced, I was thinking how different the game could have been with Madieu in there.

That said... we're good at CB. We're not the first set of cornerbacks that got burned by Manning and co. If we could stop the run better, we wouldn't have needed to go man on man... and THAT is why we lost.

Of the 12 DTs drafted rounds 5 through 7 last year, only 5 have played in a game for a combined 5 total tackles between them. None of them have started.

CJ Moseley 6th rounder of the Vikes has played in 5 games and has 3 total tackles per NFL.com -- the most of the bunch in both departments.

The Big Boy from Bama, Anthony Bryant, has played in 3 games for the Bucs. He was also a 6th rounder.

The other 3 have played in 1 game this year: Jason Jefferson (6th round pick of Saints) for the Bills, Jovan Haye 6th rounder for Carolina, and Kenyotta Marshall 7th rounder for Eagles.

Of the other 7 DTs, 4 are not on 53-man rosters, including Antaaj "The Great" Hawthorne.

3 others are on rosters but have not played including 5th rounder Ronald Fields for the 49ers, 7th rounder Kevin Vickerson for the Fins, and I included Fanene as a DT.

In 2004, Chad Lavalais was a 5th round pick of the Falcons. He played in all 16 games last year, starting 6 and finishing with 28 total tackles (NFL.com). This year, Lavalais has started all but 2 games and has 20 total tackles with 1.5 sacks.

A SS would be nice... but DT is our biggest need. I know there are not a lot of KK supporters here... but he has played well enough. Much better than either of our DT's.

With Madieu in the game, there would be no Ohalete, and therefore, much fewer complaints about our safeties. As it stands... I'll be happy enough if we get a good SS in the first round... but not nearly as happy as if we draft a DT (and maybe sign a FA like Hovan).

as long as we keep playing well and possibly get into the playoffs , we should be able to start tempting some better free agents, so hopefully we can be a bit more choosy in the draft.

that said at the moment it does like we could use all our picks on the defence, and a strong safety and 4 new d linemen are needed!!

Peko is a hairy bastage :lol: But he gets around fairly well for a lard.

I like Barry Cofield out of Northwestern as a 6th or 7th round pick.

Earlier than that, not convinced a DT in this draft will make much difference.

One of the priorities looks like a safety w/ corner skills should be high on the priority list.

1st round Michael Huff

Day 2 Marcus Hudson if he's still on the board.

The second top priority IMO should be decent TEs.

Dallas Clark showed what a good TE/H-Back can do and the Bengals have been been burnt by TEs a lot this year.

3rd round TJ Williams

Day 2 Jeff King

Overall, I'm liking the following:

1. Huff DB Texas

2. Thomas Howard WSLB UTEP

3. Williams TE NC State

4. King TE/H-Back Va Tech

5. Hudson DB NC State

6. Cofield

7. Mike Bristel LT Colorado State

This team needs DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE. They gotta go with a safety and defensive tackle in the first two picks no matter what. If there's a good PASS-CATCHING tightend available in the third round, then draft him. But there's not much more the offense needs except for maybe some depth on the line. But this team is still missing players on defense.*

Of the 12 DTs drafted rounds 5 through 7 last year, only 5 have played in a game for a combined 5 total tackles between them. None of them have started.

CJ Moseley 6th rounder of the Vikes has played in 5 games and has 3 total tackles per NFL.com -- the most of the bunch in both departments.

The Big Boy from Bama, Anthony Bryant, has played in 3 games for the Bucs. He was also a 6th rounder.

The other 3 have played in 1 game this year: Jason Jefferson (6th round pick of Saints) for the Bills, Jovan Haye 6th rounder for Carolina, and Kenyotta Marshall 7th rounder for Eagles.

Of the other 7 DTs, 4 are not on 53-man rosters, including Antaaj "The Great" Hawthorne.

3 others are on rosters but have not played including 5th rounder Ronald Fields for the 49ers, 7th rounder Kevin Vickerson for the Fins, and I included Fanene as a DT.

In 2004, Chad Lavalais was a 5th round pick of the Falcons. He played in all 16 games last year, starting 6 and finishing with 28 total tackles (NFL.com). This year, Lavalais has started all but 2 games and has 20 total tackles with 1.5 sacks.

Actually no rook DT is making any impact in the NFL aside from Mike Patterson of the Eagles..He has 20- tackles and 2 sacks...He's getting plenty of PT due to the loss of Cory Simon..

I think a safety would be a better first round pick with a DT coming in free agency..

Id like to see them upgrade the TE position too.. Is it so hard to find a TE that catches and blocks too.

Seems the Browns, Steelers and Ravens liked that idea...

Remember all of the buzz pre-draft about Ernest Shazor?? He went undrafted and was eventually signed by Arizona to the practice squad. Last week he was promoted to the 53 man roster.

We need to address either the SS or DT position through free agency. Then grab the other in round one. A TE could be nabbed in round two. After that the team needs defense, defense, defense.

Actually no rook DT is making any impact in the NFL aside from Mike Patterson of the Eagles..He has 20- tackles and 2 sacks...He's getting plenty of PT due to the loss of Cory Simon..

I think a safety would be a better first round pick with a DT coming in free agency..

Id like to see them upgrade the TE position too.. Is it so hard to find a TE that catches and blocks too.

I sure agree with this. If we could get another safety in the first round to pair with Madieu, that would be great. I also agree that in our division, an all-around TE is a necessity.

Channing Crowder! (SQUAWK)

Sorry, just kidding.

Anybody wanna guess how high Marcedes Lewis might go? I've got much love for him.

BTW, did the Shazor Train ever leave the station? :gramps:

Seriously if they could get a guy like Polamalu that would be awsome.

QUOTE(HairOnFire @ Nov 21 2005, 03:01 PM)

Sorry, just kidding.

Anybody wanna guess how high Marcedes Lewis might go? I've got much love for him.

Channing Crowder Stats 2005-

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

2005 10 57 32.0 25 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

Total Tackles= 57

Hey don't be dissing Crowder. The Kid is a freak and is starting now for the dolphins. He has also been on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown's Jacked Up a quite a few times. I am happy with Odell, but it would of been sweet to have him and Crowder. Our Defensive would at least be a little bit better.

By my knowledge Odell only has 57 total tackles as well and has started every game....

YES, a TE to rot in Brat's system of never using one to do squat.

Hasn't 91 from Penn State jumped out at anyone. I only saw them play once, but he looked like a stud. A man amongst boys. I think he is an end and not a tackle though. If they only had names on their jerseys. :blush:

Relax, my little squawking compadre. I wasn't trying to make fun of you or Crowder, and I believe I did mention that I was kidding. It's just that the moment I started thinking about draft conversations from last year the whole Shazor Train & Channing Crowder rant popped into my head.

I guess it's just too early for my draft bone to start vibrating. There's too much going on to start thinking about draft picks or gently insulting other posters about the players they say they like.