John Clayton muses on Kitna's fate

dchyde

Alright, I'm not entirely sure the Bengals even want to part with Kit, but if he does go it might be to one of the teams Clayton mentions below. Which one do you guys think is the most likely candidate?

"An interesting name to watch during the offseason is Bengals backup Jon Kitna. This is Palmer's franchise in Cincinnati and rightfully so. He's put together enough wins and enough 100 passer ratings to earn that right. Before Palmer, the Bengals' players believed in Kitna and he will be a free agent after the season that will intrigue some teams as a starter.

It's more apparent than ever that quarterback is the most important acquisition in building a winning franchise.

The Lions, Dolphins, Cardinals, Jets, Browns and Bucs will be among the main teams looking at the quarterback market next year. The Bucs could stay with Griese, but it's pretty clear he will be starting somewhere. Kitna will be in play, but the keys to the quarterback market during the offseason is who gets Matt Leinart of USC and whoever the Chargers surrender -- Drew Brees or Philip Rivers. Patrick Ramsey of the Redskins will get a job next year. Billy Volek is an interesting prospect to look at, too. "

I could see Kitna possibly playing for the Jets or Dolphins next year, but none of the other teams mentioned seem like likely destinations for him. They will be interested in getting younger talent. I think Kitna will struggle a bit wherever he ends up, it will take him some time to adjust to a new offensive scheme.

I have a feeling he will stay with the Bengals for at least one more season. Marvin and Katie don't want to be reliant on Craig Freaking Krenzel at any point ever, and Kitna has always said he'd be fine staying here. If it becomes a cap issue, then I could even see him taking a pay cut (doubtful anyone does that to be a backup, but he is Mr. Christian).

I know for sure he is not going to the browns. Why would any team trade a good player to a team in their own Division?

I could see Kitna coming to where I am in NY for the Jets. It would be nice for me, being that I am a season ticket holder I could go to see him play when the Bengals have a BYE next year.

But f**k the Jets, they are on our Schedule rotation within the next 2 yrs, and besides I dont even go to any of their games, I sell them to make a little extra money.

Keep KIT in the JUNGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm stuck in Laydown Country, and I know the Lion's fans love Kitna. They consider him the 2nd best option after Brees (who more than likely will sign with the Chargers). Of course the Laydowns still have Mooch's bed buddy Garthia...so I'm not sure they would go after Kitna.

I'd be surprised if the Lions don't just stick with Garcia. He has proven he can play well with a good set of receivers (even though he would probably taste a lot of field turf with that offensive line). I think the Chargers will resign Brees, and Rivers will end up with the Jets.

As for the other teams listed earlier in the thread... I think the Dolphins are a Kitna possibility, but I think they'll try and draft one. Denny Green will probably stick with the Warner/McCown duo next year, the Browns will go with Charlie Frye, and I think the Bucs will stick with Griese/Simms.

Yeah, I think Simms will take over the starting job for good, because he played pretty darn good against a pretty darn good defense on Sunday. I think Kitna wants to retire a Bengal, and maybe he signs for one more year, and the Bengals draft a QB late to succeed Kit, because Krenzel, as much as I love the Buckeyes, ain't no NFL QB.

why would the redskins start ramsey next year when they drafted jason cambell

Because they're stupid.

Amen to that. I get a regular dose of the Redskins here in DC, and actually got to see the first game against the Bears. Gibbs can't stay with a QB unless said QB is on fire. Ramsey lost his starting job after a *half* this year. I don't know how long he expect's Mark Brunell's deal with Satan to last, either - that guy's been playing like it's 1996 all over again.

So in other words, Gibbs has a 2-man QB carousel and a rookie who can't even get 2nd-team snaps, who at this point can not possibly be expected to start next year. Chances are Brunell will catch up to his age, and they're just dumb enough to get rid of Ramsey If he has any choice in the matter, I guarantee Ramsey gets as far away from DC as fast as he can.

When you put it together, this leaves them in all likelihood with no decent QB next year. Should be funny.

The other thing to consider is who else many be available...

Either Rivers or Brees will have a new home in '06. Teams looking for former top choices cheap may hav names like Davd Carr and Joey Harrington to choose from (and possibly Kyle Boller). I don't believe the Bills locked up Holcomb for the long term and he might be gone if Losman keeps winning. (And his nemesis Tim Couch is still out there, tanned, rested and ready.) That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. But Kit's best bet seems to me to be working out a deal here.