Brians Simmons AFC defensive player of the week.

turningpoint

Mans a pimp been telling you so for weeks.

Simmons named Player of Week

By GEOFF HOBSON

November 9, 2005

Posted: 2:30 p.m.

Simmons

The Bengals keep reaping the fruits of a 7-2 start. A day after quarterback Carson Palmer and wide receiver Chad Johnson were named to the mid-season “Pro Football Weekly” All-Pro team, the NFL named linebacker Brian Simmons AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Simmons, the dean of a Bengals defense allowing less than 15 points per game, helped make sure it didn’t yield a touchdown in Sunday’s 21-9 victory at Baltimore. Simmons tied for the team lead with a season-best nine tackles, had one sack for a 13-yard loss, one forced fumble, and two passes defensed. Four of Simmons’ tackles were within three yards of the line of scrimmage as the Bengals kept the Ravens out of the end zone on their four trips into the red zone.

It’s the second time that Simmons has won the award. An eight-year veteran who has played in more Bengals games than anyone on the defense with 103, received the honor in Cincinnati’s 27-24 win against Seattle in 2003 in which he forced a fumble, forced an interception, recovered a fumble and had an interception.

It’s also the second Player of the Week for the Bengals this season. Cornerback Deltha O’Neal got it for his three interceptions in the 37-8 victory over Minnesota on Sept. 18.

In September, Palmer was named AFC Offensive Player of the Month and middle linebacker Odell Thurman was named NFL Rookie of the Month.

I am surprised to see him win the award, but sure, it is good to see. His numbers don't really jump out at me as AFC Defensive Player of the Week caliber, so I guess the competition was subpar this time around. Not to take anything away from him, he did have an excellent game.

Y'all a bunch of haters. When we lose and give up 200 yds it's his fault. When we win it's despite him. I don't know about player of the week, but Simmons had a good game last week and has been our only solid linebacker so far this year. Odell has made spectacular, and spectacularly bad, plays. Landon has been outplayed by Simmons so far.

The Bengals are getting the best of Brian Simmons right now.

This award is a timely one that should bolster him more to continue to maximize his abilities on the field.

He'll have his hands full vs. Indy between James and Clark but I think we'll see B-Simm play the game of his life with a passion like he's never had before. The aroma of playoffs has got to take a hold of a vet like him who's never even got close to getting there before.

Y'all a bunch of haters. When we lose and give up 200 yds it's his fault. When we win it's despite him. I don't know about player of the week, but Simmons had a good game last week and has been our only solid linebacker so far this year. Odell has made spectacular, and spectacularly bad, plays. Landon has been outplayed by Simmons so far.

No one said when we win it's despite him. He had a helluva game. I'll bet Marvin lit a fire under his ass and told him he was going to ride the pine if he didn't step up. I agree that the award will encourage him more. It's good for him to see he can be a difference maker if he makes the effort. I'll be the first to eat my previous complaints about him if he can keep it up.

No one said when we win it's despite him. He had a helluva game. I'll bet Marvin lit a fire under his ass and told him he was going to ride the pine if he didn't step up. I agree that the award will encourage him more. It's good for him to see he can be a difference maker if he makes the effort. I'll be the first to eat my previous complaints about him if he can keep it up.

I'm paraphrasing based on my read of numerous references to Simmons this season. And while my post was somewhat jestful, I do think that overall the fanbase is too quick to get excited about the play of the young LB's while excusing their mistakes. That's natural, but I just don't see Simmons as benched next year as so many here do. I think Landon is having a bit of a sophomore slump and Odell is still running a little too fast. What makes you think ML would've threatened to bench BS? Seriously, I'm interested because I haven't heard anything that would lead me to think that.

I'm paraphrasing based on my read of numerous references to Simmons this season. And while my post was somewhat jestful, I do think that overall the fanbase is too quick to get excited about the play of the young LB's while excusing their mistakes. That's natural, but I just don't see Simmons as benched next year as so many here do. I think Landon is having a bit of a sophomore slump and Odell is still running a little too fast. What makes you think ML would've threatened to bench BS? Seriously, I'm interested because I haven't heard anything that would lead me to think that.

I haven't heard anything either. But I've seen it. I've watched every game this season multiple times (thanks to Short Cuts) and I often key on one player (which is why you've also seen me around these parts knocking a bit on Steinbach). I've keyed on Simmons every game. Instead of just watching the game itself and following the ball, I wonder how many Simmons lovers have actually watched just him on each individual play. The difference this week from others is clear. In the previous games this season, yeah Simmons was around the ball, yeah he was making tackles, yeah sometimes he even made interceptions or caused fumbles. But generally, (dare I say it for all of you to read) he has been loafing. Straight up, Bengals-of-old behavior. The kinder way to put that is that he's been a step slow. Either way, he's been getting devoured on contain and forced to turn and run down tacklers. You can call it what you want, but the tape don't lie. I defy anyone to honestly watch those games and find one play that challenges my assertion for every two that don't. You can't do it. I'd like to think that the chorus of voices questioning his playing have come from a little more than supposition. Thank god for educated Bengalszone fans!

But last week, against the Ravens, this all changes (and thereby proves my point). Perhaps it's just because I'm an enternal optimist (how else could I put up with 15 years of misery) that I give Marvin credit. Because if that's what happened, it means we're actually MAYBE going to see sustained improvement. If it's not, if Simmons was just getting up for a particular game, then we're screwed because we're right back to where we were: inconsistency. But one thing's for sure. Last week, he showed us that, at least when he tries, he is not slow.

By the way, I'm also not to quick to forgive Odell. I bought his Jersey because I love his attitude, but if the rook don't pick it up quick and make about 50% more of the tackles HE ABSOLUTELY WHIFFS ON, we're not going to get very far. The one thing I love about Odell, though, is that he can't be accused of the very thing I worry about with Simmons. He gives it everything every down. And when he finally controls that speed, he's going to be a terror.

But you haven't heard anything about ML being pissed with Simmons either is my conclusion. You just don't like his play. That's cool. I guess my point is compared to what? If you compare him to our other LB's he's simply more solid. That's my only point. Defensive player of the week is a great big "whatever" in my book. Is he playing well and did the team win is all I care about.

And yes, you are clearly a far more "educated" fan because you have broken down tape. Come on dude, its always easier to bash on someone than give them their due. Ask DPM. You could pick any member of this defense, including the secondary and show repeated missed tackles. So, I guess they all suck too, right? Why don't you run your tape of Landon Johnson vs. the Packers and tell me what you see. He got "devoured" -- trust me. He and Odell gave up the rushing TD to the defensive left side. See -- it's easy to bash -- apparently too easy.

I expect young players to make more mistakes because they are young. Yes, I've watched Landon repeatedly get devoured into those piles. But I also think Landon is playing out of position at SSLB. He was more suited at MLB last year because he could weave through traffic very well - which would make him even more well suited at WSLB, his natural position.

Now to the bashing point. I think we can both agree that we love our team. I mean no disrespect to anyone by disagreeing with certain assertions. I guess it all comes down to your approach to things in glass half empty/full kind-of-way. Personally, I'm a big fan of the draft and the logistics to building a great team. It really excites me. As such, I keep an eye out for where I think we have weakness, especially if it is a higher paid or older player. I would love to see us win the Super Bowl this year. But I would forgo that opportunity to win several in the next several years. I think Marvin is building that kind of team. However, certain weak spots will hold us back, and I suppose I concentrate on those.

Simmons is a pre-Marvin player. He is good, but he doesn't fit as well in Marvin's schemes. Marvin has always lauded Simmons, and that is why he still has his job. I think however, that in the near future, one of the younger Marvin boys will take his place, probably Landon. Until then, we have a solid veteran linebacker to help in the develpment of the younger talent.

Simmons is a pre-Marvin player. He is good, but he doesn't fit as well in Marvin's schemes. Marvin has always lauded Simmons, and that is why he still has his job. I think however, that in the near future, one of the younger Marvin boys will take his place, probably Landon. Until then, we have a solid veteran linebacker to help in the develpment of the younger talent.

To be one of the pre-ML players that is still around says something....but within a couple years Marvin is setting up the Landon, Odell, Pollack LB corps....That is alot of speed right there....

wonder how much longer he will be with us i think not so long

You're probably right, and it's a shame. He has been solid for us all through the latter half of the Dark Ages and into the Marvin Era. He has been great for the locker room too. He will have to go eventually simply because of all the talent lingering below him, but while he's been here, it has certainly been a good time. B)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Simmons read some of our posts. Hell, no matter how rich and famous you are can you imagine being at a spot where you could get on a web site and read comments people are writing about you and not be tempted to take a peak now and then.

And if there were a number of different spots don't you think you'd find one spot that you prefered for whatever reason over another (personalities, format, whatever). I can almost guarantee you that Bengals fans frequent this sight...especially this week in an off week.

We should start a "ask a bengal" thread and see if any of them will bite. I'll bet of the 1500 members on board that at least 3 are Bengals players incognito, and I would guess that a c ouple are active...it's just the odds...we have one of the 5 most active boards...there are 53 players plus coaches and backups...there is no way that we don't have some peekers...they'd probably get in trouble for signing on as themselves or don't want to get bombarded with PM's

Well, if you PM me I'll keep your ID a secret.

You could be right Big O. I just don't know how any players would find the time for something like this except during the offseason. A big possiblity is John Thornton, he even set up his own Bengals site. www.bengalscentral.com is the link, but I think it has been down for a while. I bet he finds his way into message boards like this, but I doubt he or any other players participate in the action.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Simmons read some of our posts. Hell, no matter how rich and famous you are can you imagine being at a spot where you could get on a web site and read comments people are writing about you and not be tempted to take a peak now and then.

And if there were a number of different spots don't you think you'd find one spot that you prefered for whatever reason over another (personalities, format, whatever). I can almost guarantee you that Bengals fans frequent this sight...especially this week in an off week.

We should start a "ask a bengal" thread and see if any of them will bite. I'll bet of the 1500 members on board that at least 3 are Bengals players incognito, and I would guess that a c ouple are active...it's just the odds...we have one of the 5 most active boards...there are 53 players plus coaches and backups...there is no way that we don't have some peekers...they'd probably get in trouble for signing on as themselves or don't want to get bombarded with PM's

Well, if you PM me I'll keep your ID a secret.

You got me Big O, Carson here. I'm just enjoying my bye week, hold on there goes my cell phone. It's Chad again, I have to go....he wants the damn ball again no doubt...

You could be right Big O. I just don't know how any players would find the time for something like this except during the offseason. A big possiblity is John Thornton, he even set up his own Bengals site. www.bengalscentral.com is the link, but I think it has been down for a while. I bet he finds his way into message boards like this, but I doubt he or any other players participate in the action.

The best line was from Richie Braham...They asked him that very question last year-"Do you look at message boards?". His reply, "Why?"

BTW, Thornton has the new site up...

www.jt97.com