Bengals All-Disappointment Team

Unabated Sports

With the Bengals at 7-2 and in first place at the bye, I feel it is time we look back and see how far the Bengals have come in just a few years. Follow the link to a site for a local radio show's take on a Bengals team with a roster full of underperforming Bengals. The debate for the biggest disappointment in franchise history is on. Bengals All-Disappointment Team.

Not a bad list. However, I would put Mark Roman or Charles Fisher ahead of Hawkins. Higher picks, bigger busts. At least Toast had a career, however up and down it was.

Battaglia was a waste, but not as big of one as Sean Brewer, IMHO.

And at RB, before either KJ or Archie I would list Eric Ball. No. 2 overall selection, in 7 years in the league managed just 802 yards. Piece. Of. S**t.

Oh...and no Jason Buck? No list of Bengals bummers is complete without him!

I'd say Kevin Hardy is hardly a disappointment at MLB. He played a majority at SLB, not MLB, before coming to Cincy. He was picked up on the down-side of his career put into a position he didn't play so Simmons could go back to his "natural position". (what is it with the Bengals not playing players at their "natural position" anyway?)

All I'm saying is that expectations should have been fairly low to begin with, thus removing him from any disappointment.

Just my two cents.

I'd say Kevin Hardy is hardly a disappointment at MLB. He played a majority at SLB, not MLB, before coming to Cincy. He was picked up on the down-side of his career put into a position he didn't play so Simmons could go back to his "natural position". (what is it with the Bengals not playing players at their "natural position" anyway?)

All I'm saying is that expectations should have been fairly low to begin with, thus removing him from any disappointment.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, can certainly think of bigger FA losers. Michael Westbrook, anyone? Neil O'Donnell? And if you want a LB...how about Nate Webster?

Tremain Mack I consider a disappointment, but not really a bust. He went to the Pro Bowl as a returner, bad foot and wouldn't stop injuring his liver!

On the FA side, Scott Mitchell comes to mind. How about Frerrotte? Richmond Webb?

Our current crop of TE's border the "Bust" tag. Askew is approaching the "Bust" stop...

Michael Westbrook! Great call. He had completely slipped my mind. Mark Roman will make the team as well. I believe he was another casuality of playing out of position. And watching him bounce off of J. Johnson on the TD catch two weeks ago brought back some memories. Great suggestions so far. Keep them coming. And Eric Ball was a 2nd round pick, not a number 2 overall pick. But a disappointing career nonetheless.

Michael Westbrook! Great call. He had completely slipped my mind. Mark Roman will make the team as well. I believe he was another casuality of playing out of position. And watching him bounce off of J. Johnson on the TD catch two weeks ago brought back some memories. Great suggestions so far. Keep them coming. And Eric Ball was a 2nd round pick, not a number 2 overall pick. But a disappointing career nonetheless.

Ah, you're right, I keep forgetting we didn't have a first round pick that year.

Willy: Mitchell was OK IMHO. With a little bit better team around him I think he could have been an earlier version of Kitna (i.e. a .500-ish Cincy QB). Frerotte only misses the cut because of the bigger jokers ahead of him, but I would put him in at the No. 3-worst QB spot. Webb IMHO was a good pickup -- possibly the best FA pickup of the whole Shula-Colset-Lebeau era. He slammed shut the screen door at LT, and if he wasn't much as a run blocker he could still pass protect pretty well. On top of that, his presence meant Levi got to learn at the feet of a master, and I suspect that's done him far more good than would a decade of Paul Alexander's "coaching."

Not a bad list. However, I would put Mark Roman or Charles Fisher ahead of Hawkins. Higher picks, bigger busts. At least Toast had a career, however up and down it was.

Battaglia was a waste, but not as big of one as Sean Brewer, IMHO.

And at RB, before either KJ or Archie I would list Eric Ball. No. 2 overall selection, in 7 years in the league managed just 802 yards. Piece. Of. S**t.

Oh...and no Jason Buck? No list of Bengals bummers is complete without him!

I agree that Ball was an underachiever However, he was a second round pick not the number 2 pick. For that reason I don't know if he belongs on the list.

I would put Rickey Dixon on the list. James Francis and Big Daddy deserve some recognition for their unspectacular contribution to the 1990's. Also Diamond Dave Shula.

Just my two cents.

Not to mention he was a great locker room guy. Something that is very underrated. See T.O.

My biggest disapointment had to be Ki-Jana. I just would like to know if things would have been different had he not got hurt.

I often think of Akili Smith as the biggest disappointment, but Ki-Jana is a close second. I wonder who everyone else feels is the biggest disappointment in Bengals history. And jjakq27 brings up a good point, someone has to lead this roster. I think Shula should lead this team.

As for keeping the fans entertained, I hear there are a couple of free agent cheerleaders from Carolina that could do the trick.

Just my two cents.

Not to mention he was a great locker room guy. Something that is very underrated. See T.O.

My biggest disapointment had to be Ki-Jana. I just would like to know if things would have been different had he not got hurt.

Ki-Jana might have been something had he not gotten hurt. However, had we taken Marshall Faulk in 1994 rather than a sophomore defensive tackle from Ohio State, we wouldn't have needed Carter in 1995.

Also one of the monumental blunders of all time was the Rickey-for-8 picks deal. I still think that, with the proper amount of negotiating/trading skill, we could have gotten the 8 picks and still traded back up high enough to take Akili, since they wanted him so badly.

Freddie "Road Grater" Childress was a big time bust too. Even Jim McNally couldn't help this guy.

On top of that, his presence meant Levi got to learn at the feet of a master, and I suspect that's done him far more good than would a decade of Paul Alexander's "coaching."

Lol, so true. I can't stand Alexander and his under-performing draft picks.

What linemen is underperforming under Alexander??

Levi and Willie are good OT's... Steinbach and Bobbi havent been a hindrance.. Braham is decent.

Adrews is a project that seems to be making good progress.. Kooistra is a capable backup....

so who's not playing well under Alexander's tutorage????

WHOOA, what about Eric Bienemy, Steve Tovar, Tony McGee, Kimo von Oelhoffen( he did nothing with us, and he's playig better with PIT) and Jimmy Spencer.

Eric Bienemy wasn't a bust. He was a pretty darned good 3rd down back. Tony McGee played well for us, and Kimo wasn't BAD for us.

He wasnt that bad, but unfortunately when I think of him I think of those teams. Hell... scratch EB, Cliff Groce will replace him on my list.

Kimo pissed me off b/c, he's a Steeler, and I spite him cause of that tipped ball vs them in week 7. Tony McGee, I dont know what I was thinking, maybe its the Sambuca in my coffee :cheers: .

On top of that, his presence meant Levi got to learn at the feet of a master, and I suspect that's done him far more good than would a decade of Paul Alexander's "coaching."

Lol, so true. I can't stand Alexander and his under-performing draft picks.

What linemen is underperforming under Alexander??

Levi and Willie are good OT's... Steinbach and Bobbi havent been a hindrance.. Braham is decent.

Adrews is a project that seems to be making good progress.. Kooistra is a capable backup....

so who's not playing well under Alexander's tutorage????

Before Alexander, the Bengals didn't have to burn 1st & 2nd round picks on Offensive Linemen. There is normally not a whole lot of developing needed with a #1 or #2. Jim McNally took lower round picks and turned them into great pros. Ex: Mike Wilson(4), Joe Walters(7), Max Montoya (7), Dave Lapham (3), Bruce Kozerski (9), Bruce Reimers (8).

One of the worst things the organization ever did was let Jim McNally go.