Pittsburgh - The Inside Scoop

duus

As I sit here in my home office following a tough Bengals win, a bad Steelers loss, and looking forward to a matchup in the Jungle on 10/23 ...

Local information I'm hearing -

* Rottenburger could have gone this week, but deferred comment to Cowher.

* "it wouldn't have ended up like it did if I was out there." - Ben Roethlisberger told Jacksonville linebacker Mike Peterson after the game.

* A local reporter was told by Ben that he is ready to go for next week against Cincinnati.

* At least 3 times throughout the day, they stated that they are ready to recover from this loss "when the Bengals come to town this weekend". Uhhh ... it's not in Pittsburgh guys!

* Townsend may not go this weekend. I guess Chad will need to write-in a new guy he is going to burn.

More to come ...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Guy calls in clearly stating his heartfelt belief that Maddox received enough money to throw the game yesterday, so he now will never play again. Adding to my long belief that every Steeler fan thinks it is their God-given right to win every game, and any loss is fixed or cheating. Ugh.

* "it wouldn't have ended up like it did if I was out there." - Ben Roethlisberger told Jacksonville linebacker Mike Peterson after the game.

This is exactly why I wish his little b*tch self played sunday. Them losing with him not at qb just added a couple more pumps of air into his head. I hate him more than any other nfl player just for the fact he thinks he is god at qb. He does nothing all he does is hand the ball off every play.

I HATE YOU BEN ROETHLISBERGER

Local radio exchange with ESPN's Schlereth:

Q - "If Townsend is out Sunday, then who the heck is going to cover Chad Johnson? Who the heck is going to cover Chad Johnson anyway?"

A - "Constantly change things up. Play some zone. Play some man. Be physical with him. You hope you don't get caught. You hope he doesn't kill you."

Q - "Is Sunday must win for Pittsburgh?"

A - "I don't think it's must win. It is one of those games that you go into it thinking it's must win. If you don't win, you think it's still ok. This is as close to a must win this early in the season as you can get."

Any word on Ward?

idc which qb is palying... think ward is the real question.

No word on Ward as of yet. Hope to hear something soon. All he has said is that he likens this hamstring injury to that that Burress had for them last year. Back then, it took about 5 weeks until Burress was 100% again. I agree ... Ward is the key to this offense. I don't like him, but he's darn good to say the least.

I heard Ricardo Colclough could also be out in this game. I think the run game is also a big? Bettis only got 4 carries for 4 yards. Their oline did a poor job protecting the qb last week. The thing for the Steelers will be how many cover guys to devote to stopping CJ. 2 atleast but they could use 3. If the Bengals keep the pressure off of Palmer he will shred the Steelers D.

I heard Ricardo Colclough could also be out in this game. I think the run game is also a big? Bettis only got 4 carries for 4 yards. Their oline did a poor job protecting the qb last week. The thing for the Steelers will be how many cover guys to devote to stopping CJ. 2 atleast but they could use 3. If the Bengals keep the pressure off of Palmer he will shred the Steelers D.

I haven't heard this about Colclough (pronounced coke-lee), but that would be huge together with Townsend. If both of those guys are out, then that should help our running game as they will surely have to drop more into coverage.

I see how having everyone there will theoretically keep Pitt fan from making excuses, but I am sure that they will be doing that anyway after an L on Sunday.

* Just heard an interview with Steelers cornerback, Ike Taylor. They were asking him how excited he might be if he replaces Townsend, and if Chad puts him on the checklist instead. Let's just say he was quite confident, and pumping his personal site Face Me Ike. What I took away from this brief interview was that the man is quite 'ready' for Chad to 'face me'. These guys went on and on about 'how hard Ike hits recievers'. That he made the Jag receivers pay for receptions, and expects the same and more if he gets the starting nod. They are really pumping this Face Me Ike thing and apparently passing out the t-shirts at the radio station.

Just FYI i went to Tusculum College (TC) same school that Colclough attended. I was kinda looking forward to seeing him play albiet against the Bengals so i could see what was so special about him since he began attending TC a year after i graduated. Still will be nice when we beat the steelers on sunday.

Mike Green

Waynesville Ohio

* Last night I heard the local radio guys complaining that they have been officially informed by the Bengals PR man that Coach Lewis has disallowed any interviews, etc with outside reporters for this week. They referred to this as a "little nugget coming out of Cincinnati". They likened this somewhat to Cowher's rules for big games in the past, and mentioned how the Bengals are usually very willing to interview over the phone, etc. the week of their matchup, but "apparently the rules change once they get a taste of winning".

* Just heard an interview with Steelers cornerback, Ike Taylor. They were asking him how excited he might be if he replaces Townsend, and if Chad puts him on the checklist instead. Let's just say he was quite confident, and pumping his personal site Face Me Ike. What I took away from this brief interview was that the man is quite 'ready' for Chad to 'face me'. These guys went on and on about 'how hard Ike hits recievers'. That he made the Jag receivers pay for receptions, and expects the same and more if he gets the starting nod. They are really pumping this Face Me Ike thing and apparently passing out the t-shirts at the radio station.

He can try. If he wants to play soft coverage so he has time to come in and make his "hit," go for it. If he tries to jam at the line, he runs the risk of whiffing and Chad making him look like a fool.

Give it a try, big man, but I think you're gonna need some help.

Well, I hate Pittsburgh as much as anyone here... maybe more. I agree that Roethlisberger is full of himself, but at this point I think I have to agree with him. Roethlisberger is one of the more accurate passers in the league (no INT's in 4 games played), so the 3 INT's that Maddox threw most likely would not have happened, not to mention the fumble he lost.

They didn't have their starting QB, or WR... and because of this, Jacksonville went 100% after the run. Pittsburgh had no running game, no #1 WR, and a very poor performance from their QB... and they still almost won.

Pittsburgh is the real deal, and so is Big Ben. We really need to take advantage of him not being 100% and beat them, because them going 3-3 to our 6-1 would be pretty close to a best case scenario as possible if predicted after week 2.

I've said it before, but Ben relies a great deal on his mobility and strength to break tackles. Hopefully that knee won't be well enough for him to perform as well as usual, because I'm beginning to think we will need as much help as we can get to beat a pissed off Steelers team that is going to feel like this is a must win.

Well, I hate Pittsburgh as much as anyone here... maybe more. I agree that Roethlisberger is full of himself, but at this point I think I have to agree with him. Roethlisberger is one of the more accurate passers in the league (no INT's in 4 games played), so the 3 INT's that Maddox threw most likely would not have happened, not to mention the fumble he lost.

No doubt his statement is true. But I think the fact that he said it, and said it to the opponent, is indicative of what kind of guy this is. This is surely best left unsaid, and, if needed to be said, should be in the locker room ... NEVER to the opponent. I find this to be very SMALL of BIG Ben.

BTW ... you will truly find it hard to hate this team more than me. I think my sanity is challenged on a daily basis just due to how much I hate this team. Being a die-hard Bengal fan from my childhood in Northern Kentucky, and then moving to Pittsburgh for graduate school, I never knew how much I would learn to absolutely hate this team! I didn't like them before, and living here for 15 years has done nothing but make me obsessed with showing outsiders the hyprocisy that exists within this city and its beloved sports team. They honestly think they are God's gift to sports. And Cowher ... man, don't get me started! The guy couldn't coach his way out of a brown paper bag when the big game is on the line. But he NEVER EVER gets criticized by the media in this town. He intimidates the media guys around here, and they NEVER ask the hard question. He just gives them a mean, bully look, and that's it. Man, do I hate these guys.

But I'll continue to give the information in as real and honest way as possible. There still needs to be truth above my extreme bias. I just want folks to know some of the ridiculousness that goes on behind the scenes in this arrogant town.

(I feel better now)

Well, I hate Pittsburgh as much as anyone here... maybe more. I agree that Roethlisberger is full of himself, but at this point I think I have to agree with him. Roethlisberger is one of the more accurate passers in the league (no INT's in 4 games played)

There is a reason why he is one of the more accurate passers also.

*86-52 att/comp 913 yds 60.5%*

All he does is hand the ball off. Then when the defense is stuck trying to stop the run that is when he will throw the ball to the weak coverage. When you look at all the top passers in the league right now his numbers are the ones that stick out.

Carson Palmer 197-143 att/comp 1573 yds 72.6% 13 TD

Peyton Manning 145-96 att/comp 1123 yds 66.2 % 7 TD

Ben Rothlisburger 86-52 att/comp 913 yds 60.5% 7 TD

Donovan McNabb 200-123 att/comp 1464 yds 61.5% 11TD

Matt Hasselbeck 194-128 att/comp 1495 yds 66% 8 TD

* They are really pushing this topic that the Bengals are shutting down interviews, etc. They are making this their primary topic for the 11:00 hour on the sports talk show ... more to come.

* Folks are suggesting we might see more of the 3 wide receiver set (Hines, El, and Wilson), plus a TE (Miller), with Willie Parker as the lone back. They are claiming this will spread the defense and allow Miller and Ward to get big plays and yards against the Bengals. Hmmm.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* More info just received concerning the 'media lockdown' imposed by the Bengals. The perspective of the local sports talk show ...

The Executive Producer of local radio station, Mike Barker, typically books guests, etc. for the Steelers.

He received this email from PR guy, Jack Rennin (sp?), which basically said, "forget about it!"

Jack Rennin (sp?) said, "Marvin has put me in a lockdown mode for the week. Total focus on the Steelers. No interviews."

Radio guy's comment about Marvin Lewis - "I have alot of respect for him, but apparently he is getting a little full of how well his Bengals are doing."

No doubt his statement is true. But I think the fact that he said it, and said it to the opponent, is indicative of what kind of guy this is. This is surely best left unsaid, and, if needed to be said, should be in the locker room ... NEVER to the opponent. I find this to be very SMALL of BIG Ben.

Compare Ben's statement to what Carson Palmer would say. After every win, he gives all the credit to the defense (for getting him the ball), the receivers, the running backs, the offensive line, Brat, Marvin, the QB coach, the equipment manager, etc. etc. After a loss, he takes all the responsibility (if he couldn't play and Kitna had three interceptions, he would probably say it was his fault for not helping Kitna prepare better for the game).

BTW ... you will truly find it hard to hate this team more than me. I think my sanity is challenged on a daily basis just due to how much I hate this team.

You sound exactly like me! When I was at Michigan, I didn't like Ohio State, but I couldn't believe how much more I came to hate the Buckeyes after I moved to Columbus to get a job. I do like John Cooper though. Not only could he not beat Michigan, but he was one of the best judges of NFL talent in the country and now he helps the Bengals with their draft :sure:

They bring in Steeler 'beatwriter' Ed Bouchette:

They tell Ed that they have been told they can't have any guests this week from Cincinnati.

Bouchette says he is going to refuse to go on any talk shows in Cincinnati this week. (he said this, of course, jokingly)

They are going on and on about that they think it is a "serious mistake" that the Bengals are 'changing things' for this game only.

Some quotes during the dialogue:

"No game is bigger than another."

"This is just another game."

"It's a good team. Hey, it's not the Houston Texans."

"Don't know about Hines yet."