Bengals Fan Beaten in Jacksonville Garage

BlackJesus

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wlwt/20051013/lo_wlwt/2993701

rant.gifcontract.gif

Bengals Fan Beaten In Jacksonville Parking Garage

A Bengals fan who ventured out of the Jungle last weekend got a sorer beating than his team suffered at the hands of the Jacksonville Jaguars -- and police at the stadium didn't even file a statement, News 5's Amy Wagner reported.

Grant Groneck, 20, of Lakeside Park, Ky., attended Sunday night's game in Florida with friends, but got separated from the group in a parking garage shortly after the game.

Groneck said a group of Jaguars fans saw him wearing orange and black, so they came up behind him and started beating him.

"Honestly, I didn't understand what was going on at first, because it was just so sudden," he said. "It came out of nowhere."

He said he was hit from both sides, then kicked repeatedly in the face while he was lying on the ground.

The hospital called his mother to tell her the injuries were serious.

"I knew at 4 o'clock when the resident doctor said they were going to pull a team of surgeons together at 6:30 to decide whether he needed immediate surgery," Heather Quast said.

Doctors worried Groneck's eyesight might be permanently damaged.

"When he got to the hospital, he couldn't see," Quast said.

His jaw is wired shut, and he has stitches under his eye and on his ear. Groneck also suffered bruises on the back of his head.

A victim's advocate at the hospital had to file a report the following morning because police at the stadium didn't, and the Jacksonville Police Department did not return Wagner's phone calls.

While doctors are giving Groneck a good prognosis on his chances for a full recovery, his mother warned other Bengals fans who go to away games that they should exercise caution.

"Just stay together if you're in someone else's territory," she said.

First of all, too many football fans are complete idiots, and there are too many drunken moron punks walking around at games looking for trouble - it's insane.

This kid almost lost his eyesight, had his jaw wired shut, and was kicked in the face while laying on the ground and needed surgery - only because he was wearing Bengals' attire.

This story makes me freakin' sick. Jacksonville fans - you just earned the most classless award for worst fans in the country.

What's worse is your podunk rent-a-cops didn't even file a report or catch the people who did it and never will apparently. I certainly hope they're caught, charged with felonies and put in jail for years.

5092601.jpg

5092605.jpg

Hi JoiseyCat ..........

Thanks for posting this on our site ( mcmillenandwife.com ), this is Bill from Hanover, the moderator ...... I am totally shocked by that article and the pictures !

I also feel bad for those guys who got attacked by the Jaguar Fans, there is no excuse in this world to lay your hands on anyone else, simply no excuse and the folks who did this should be held accountable, if they find them ....... Which I am praying they do and be brought to justice ! This really get's me pissed off to hear stories like this ......... No excuse at all .........

You want to be able to go to any game you want in any city you want and wear what you want, sure you might get heckled a little and that should be all, we are all people with a passion of football, granted we all have our favorite teams but that should not matter, someone should be safe when they go to a rival stadium and they should be allowed to cheer on their team without worry .... WTF is this world coming to ?? I guess it is the way they are raised by their parents ?

You know something, I used to live in PGH several years ago and went to the home games, once in awhile we would have fans from the opposite team sit next to us, had great seats ..... You know, I would introduce myself to them, tell them what the good food is here at the stadium ( Benkowitz Fish / Primianti Sandwiches ) and tell them where the bathrooms are and also would strike general conversation with them, kinda making them feel at home ....... Heck, I even buy them a beer or soft drink !! I am just that way ........ People at these games just need to relax and not bother others ..... It just makes me sick to hear this .......

In closing, you Bengal Fans have a TEAM FINALLY MAKING A STATEMENT and that is nice to seem, you finally can have some fun ......... Good Luck with this season !

I HOPE THEY FIND THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ......... FREAKIN LET THEM ROT IN JAIL !!post-1546-1129219796_thumb.jpg

It's not right to blame Jacksonville fans for this. I'm sure you all know that, but really. There's always a douche bag in every crowd, and this Bengals fan was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The police obviously did a horrible job, here's to hoping they face consequenses for it.

JoiseyCat, I just came over from, mcmillenandwife.com, and read the article. :angry: I'm with Bill when he said he would talk to opposing fans and make them feel welcome.

This act is totally classless and being a father of 3, I would'nt want my kids to be harmed because of the team they root for, or see anyone else get hurt. It's ridiculous, it's just a freaking game.

It's good to see the Bengals are turning things around. :sure: Rather it be you guys than the Clowns or the Ratbirds. Wish your team luck (except against us) of course. :boxing:

yeah I agree with steeler sal Im only 18 but I feel the same way, I even see this s**t at the Meadowlands at Jet games that I rarely attend. I have season tickets but I only go when the Bengals have a bye or if thier game is not conliflicting. The last game I was at was The Bengals Jets game last year and as soon as I stepped pout of the car I saw a Bengals fan Crack a drunk Jet fan right in the mouth. The only thing someone said to me was, " hey kid, check your liscense plate" because he saw the NY plates and he was like what the f**k! ... ur from NY why u wearin a Chad Johnson Jersey. I told him to go f**k himself and that was that, maybe because of my size ( 6'3'' 250lbs) he stopped.

But back to the point, this has got to stop at games, there are little children there and they dont need to see that.GOT FORBID A FIGHT BROKE OUT IN A CROWD AND A INNOCENT CHILD GOT HURT!

<_< It's to the point where it doesn't even have to be a fan of the opposing team. Two cases in point here in Buffalo.

Guy took his kid ( 10 ? 12 ? ) to a game ... Kid is a huge Bills fan. His Dad noticed that after half time the kid didn't seem to be having as good a time and was in general pretty quiet. Come to find out that on the way home he told his Dad that one of the guys sitting behind them had smacked him in the head and said " If you're not going to cheer when you should then get the ......... out of here." Kid was afraid to tell his Dad because he thought they'd beat him and his Dad up if he did.

Another Buffalo fan was leaving the game. Living in Orchard Park, he was walking home when he was hit in the head with a bottle thrown from a car. It knocked him down, but he got up and walked the rest of the way home. He died the next day in the hospital.

Now both of these were cases of Bills fans going at other Bills fans. And please don't think that it's just them. Guys from every city that has a pro team can probably come up with similar stories.

Something needs to be done by the local police departments .... the teams ... and the NFL. It's not getting out of hand .... it has been totally out of hand for a long time and needs to be addressed before ( can't believe I'm saying this ) like Spain says we're having riots and shootings like they do at European soccer matches.

In all honesty, I wish the police would go undercover in every stadium wearing opposing teams' colors. THere is no reason anyone should be verbally threatened or forced to fight just because of some drunken idiot. Of course that would be of little use in a parking garage.

Yes, that's what we need. Secret police. No thanks. :unsure:

If people are serious about slowing down this kind of behavior, stop selling beer. :cheers:

Not a popular suggestion, I'm sure.

As much as I love my beer, I dont need it to enjoy a football game.

That is a very good idea.

But unfortunately thats only wishfull thinking, the NFL has a huge commercial contract w/ Coors Light, and at the Meadowlands they have a Bud LIght fan zone for tailgaters

Beer should have stopped being available a long time ago, but people always complain "Why should I lose my alcohol privelages because of the actions of someone else?" It would certainly be for the best, hopefully someday it will happen. I am sure beer companies out there won't like it.

I have said that for years, Josh.

I agree 100%.

If it means cutting into the revenue for the home team then so be it. I am tired of going to games and seein folks who are drunk off their butts making complete fools of themselves and ruining the game for others.

This story is so very sad, but I wish I could say it is an isolated incident.

CUT THE BOOZE! It isn't needed, and if a fan has to have a beer in his hand to enjoy a ballgame then he/she can do it from his own sofa whilst watchin the game on the boob tube.

Sorry SteelerSal, but living here in Pittsburgh for 15 years and TRYING to be a Bengal fan without getting killed just leaves me with the exact same taste for Steeler fans. I have never (and I mean never) been obnoxious or anything (heck ... I don't even drink! ... go ahead, laugh). I do nothing more than readily admit I am a Bengal diehard, I wear Bengals attire, and love my team, and football in general. Yet, here in the town of the incredibly obnoxious fan, I have been kicked out of a fantasy baseball league because I 'wasnt a Steeler fan', have literally been threatened to have my 'head knocked off' if I was found walking the streets with my Bengal coat on in downtown Pittsburgh, and have been ridiculed beyond belief.

I have been to numerous Steeler games (both when the Bengals were in town and against other teams) and have seen and heard the most horrible things imaginable. I contrast that to attending Bengal games in Cincinnati and have NEVER had experiences like that. I would never take my children to a Steeler game, yet would readily feel comfortable going to a Bengal game. Why is that?

Some fan bases, in my opinion, only see their 'team' as a reason to get drunk and abuse the other fans. I always feel like the biggest irony is that the Steelers have this myth that they have fans that 'know so much about football'. I am yet to honestly find a Steeler fan that knows 'football' ... at most they know 'the Steelers'. Heck, I think 90% of them still think the Colts are in Baltimore and the Oilers are coming to town next week! When a guy like Myron Cope is idolized, you have to question the sanity of the entire situation!

(can you tell how I feel about how disrespectful this town is to outsiders?)

Go Bengals!

If people are serious about slowing down this kind of behavior, stop selling beer. :cheers:

Well, some people are a**es drunk or sober, so it wouldn't stop all the fighting...but I bet it would cut it down. I don't know how it is in PBS but at Giants Stadium they cut off beer sales after halftime. Not that it helps very much since half the people have been boozing in the parking lot since early a.m.

Hate to lose my beers, tho.

They could also up the price on the beer. I know it's already rediculously expensive, but at least put some pressure on all the would be drunk morons.

That's what Gov. Taft did to us problem-free innocent smokers... :angry:

Not sure if it worked though. We all just started heading to Kentucky for our needs. Hence the probability of having more problems, lack of crowd control, during tail-gating parties IF the team/league were to ban beer sales.

EDIT: (See JCs point above)

But at some point, there needs to be a distinction between civility and excessism (made up word).

Well, some people are a**es drunk or sober, so it wouldn't stop all the fighting...but I bet it would cut it down. I don't know how it is in PBS but at Giants Stadium they cut off beer sales after halftime. Not that it helps very much since half the people have been boozing in the parking lot since early a.m.

Hate to lose my beers, tho.

Hey I go to a few games there too, and I all I see outside of the stadium is Beer cans and bottle on the ground. I believe that if they're gonna sell beer they should raise the price at games from 7.50 to like 11.50 and make it like a 1 beer per customer.

HEY DUUS,

I mentioned something about MYron Cope during smack with steelers7, but anyway have you ever hear him call a steelers game? he's terrible, I dont know what he's saying. HE SOUNDS LIKE FARMER FRAN From the Waterboy